April 26, 2021, 12:25 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: Sethimus

probaby bikes will get back to normal next year

nope.

why ?

prices are going way up. buckle up. this isn‘t going back to „normal“

Last edited by: Sethimus on April 26, 2021, 12:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 26, 2021, 12:35 p.m.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/bicycle-shortage-worse-than-2020-as-interest-in-cycling-surges?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Vancouver%20Sun%20Headline%20Sun%20-%20Weekdays%202021-04-26&utm_term=VS_HeadlineNews

April 26, 2021, 11:35 p.m.

we have lots in stock but nearly nothing in the showroom. i sell right now mostly blind to customers. there is just way too much work for the mechanics with repairs and building up customers bikes. people can only ride their bikes for the first time when we hand over the bikes. crazy times.

April 27, 2021, 12:14 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

So still a hot used market?  I got some gear that needs selling

It's as hot or hotter than the past 6 months (as riding season is here). I sold a 2014 Giant Trance 2 (wife's bike) for $1,900 in under 24 hours.  She bought it for $2,000 + tax on sale in fall 2014. Bike was in great shape without much use, still I definitely felt a bit guilty but that is where the market is. Sold a bunch of XTR9000 drivetrain stuff also within a day for what felt like absurd prices.

For service, there's a few new service only shops, I've gone to Jason @ Two Wheel Adventures, he's in the old Wheelthing space on Esplanade. There's also Dialed Bike Service near Canadian Tire and IBMY in Coquitlam. Big fan of service only (used to only deal with Dave at Bicyclehub) as that is all they do.

April 27, 2021, 2:29 a.m.

Picked up a TLD A3 before I cut my hair as I don’t think helmets will be available soon enough

April 27, 2021, 9:51 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

So still a hot used market?  I got some gear that needs selling

It's as hot or hotter than the past 6 months (as riding season is here). I sold a 2014 Giant Trance 2 (wife's bike) for $1,900 in under 24 hours.  She bought it for $2,000 + tax on sale in fall 2014. Bike was in great shape without much use, still I definitely felt a bit guilty but that is where the market is. Sold a bunch of XTR9000 drivetrain stuff also within a day for what felt like absurd prices.

For service, there's a few new service only shops, I've gone to Jason @ Two Wheel Adventures, he's in the old Wheelthing space on Esplanade. There's also Dialed Bike Service near Canadian Tire and IBMY in Coquitlam. Big fan of service only (used to only deal with Dave at Bicyclehub) as that is all they do.

Good to know

April 28, 2021, 9 a.m.

probaby bikes will get back to normal next year

nope.

why ?

prices are going way up. buckle up. this isn‘t going back to „normal“

well the price is the price, add in changing dollar/ interest rates who knows ?

but in terms of supply which concerns me more you might be right, I'm hearing 2 or even 3 years for supply to get back to normal

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 28, 2021, 9:14 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 28, 2021, 11 a.m.

That makes sense. You've got folks at the retail/distribution end clamouring for more supply but the more conservative manufacturers in Asia who have built their businesses slowly based established parameters are slow to jump on board to double or even triple capacity, capacity to meet a demand that might not persist long enough to repay those investments. It makes sense they won't be rushed.

April 28, 2021, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Posted by: craw

also SIS cables.

I bought a shop sized boxes of shifter cables and housing a couple seasons back that I've not really used any yet.

Time to cash in.

$50 per cable...or should I go to $75?

You've got Shimano housing and cables? Trade them for equivalent weight in gold. Replaced mine in the fall along with the derailleur, twas a journey sourcing them.

I've been caught out twice recently, both times for broken brake levers. First time I got fat waiting to find a replacement. Hopefully this current broken lever is quicker, but damn it's getting real out there.

Last edited by: Hepcat on April 28, 2021, 12:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 28, 2021, 12:42 p.m.

When a store shut down I got a big box of jagwire shifter housing for a good deal, its real nice being able to just lop off whatever housing I need and the box seems to last forever

I had to buy a middle ring today and I was happy to find  the LBS had one

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 28, 2021, 12:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 28, 2021, 1:46 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

also SIS cables.

I bought a shop sized boxes of shifter cables and housing a couple seasons back that I've not really used any yet.

Time to cash in.

You've got Shimano housing and cables? Trade them for equivalent weight in gold. Replaced mine in the fall along with the derailleur, twas a journey sourcing them.

I've been caught out twice recently, both times for broken brake levers. First time I got fat waiting to find a replacement. Hopefully this current broken lever is quicker, but damn it's getting real out there.

Just Jagwire 4mm housing and basic cables. 

I slept on ordering a set of WR1 wheels....8-10 week timeline at this point. Should have done it in the fall when I first started thinking about it.

April 28, 2021, 6:19 p.m.

I get clarks housing from crc. 25bones for 30 meters of the stuff. It works fine. Last box lasted me two years. They just got some in so if anyone anyone wants some, it will go quick

April 29, 2021, 9:37 a.m.

also SIS cables.

Time to cash in.

I slept on ordering a set of WR1 wheels....8-10 week timeline at this point. Should have done it in the fall when I first started thinking about it.

The wait time for WR1s was never much less than that.

April 29, 2021, 10:34 p.m.

also SIS cables.

Time to cash in.

I’ll sell you my Agent 29s on Onyx CLs 😂

April 30, 2021, 10:49 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I get clarks housing from crc. 25bones for 30 meters of the stuff. It works fine. Last box lasted me two years. They just got some in so if anyone anyone wants some, it will go quick

Me too, I'm about half-way through my box of Clarks housing. Ordered 4 cables yesterday because I last-minute realized I was out. I just topped up on Maxxis tires from TBS this morning, as there's a chance I'll run out of 29er tires for my main ride by late summer. That's pretty much everything, for the hard tail, my trail bike and the Mrs', and the DH bike, until at least 2022.

Last edited by: mammal on May 2, 2021, 7:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.