Bike frame/parts drought 2021

Feb. 11, 2021, 11:46 a.m.

Having a bike made in the first world suddenly seems very desirable. All the small parts on my Nicolai are available direct from Nicolai - they stock small parts for all their bikes for 10 years+. If they run out they just machine some more in their factory in Germany. This is good.

Feb. 11, 2021, 11:50 a.m.

unless they go under ?

Feb. 11, 2021, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i don't know how Marin has done it. 2 of my buds got their Alpine Trail carbon's last month. and then 2 others in the riding group also ordered and got theirs. that's 4 AT's in the pool of group riders. i think they underpriced this bike given the interest in it.

I waited close to 4mths for my Alpine Trail XR. They don,t have a huge dealer market either. So that could be how they are doing it. I do know they are selling out quickly. The shop only had 4 XR,s on order and they where all sold ahead of delivery . Oh the delivery dated was also changed 3 times. So they did have some difficulties . As for price, is it under priced ? Or what bikes should cost? Some of the parts speced are killer for the $$$. Hence my choice, plus they are a great looking bike. Could not say that in past years. But the Alpine trail line has come along ways as of late.

Feb. 11, 2021, 12:52 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

unless they go under ?

Indeed. Luckily they've been around longer than most bike companies plus aren't their only revenue stream. They're also way overbuilt so I'm pretty confident but yeah anything could happen.

In other news it took Fluid Function three weeks to service my Reverb so heads up everyone to plan strategically. It would suck to be without your post for a month in the middle of summer.

Feb. 12, 2021, 5:42 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

the common thread to all the shortages is that product is not moving from overseas where it is all now made to you.

There are 20 million seacans which are suposed to be circling the globe, right now maybe not so much

I was just reading how it is currently more profitable to ship empty containers back to China than to put goods in them for export to anywhere else in the world.

Feb. 12, 2021, 10:25 p.m.

Call around, some of the LBS’s in the lower mainland have dozens of pairs of Code brake pads in stock. No need to freak out people, well not yet hahaha

Feb. 18, 2021, 7:44 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Two things I’ve been reminding my friends & frenemies:

A friction shifter will allow you to combine almost any derailleur / cassette with the right chain and even some of the time with the almost-right chain. Having one around isn’t just a replacement for any shifter in your fleet it’s also the skeleton key of intercompatibility! Now you can run Eagle with that old 9-speed cassette in your bin.

Exactly what was thinking.

Feb. 18, 2021, 10:10 a.m.

I hold that Meat Engine guy responsible for me buying a(nother) spare set of brake pads. Now, he's telling me I need a friction shifter too?

Feb. 18, 2021, 11:08 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

I hold that Meat Engine guy responsible for me buying a(nother) spare set of brake pads. Now, he's telling me I need a friction shifter too?

Yes. I'll save you some reading: stock up on singlespeed cogs too.

Feb. 18, 2021, 9:02 p.m.

Posted by: craw

And rigid forks.

Feb. 19, 2021, 8:38 a.m.

Posted by: Poz

And rigid forks.

Obscure disc brakes if you don't already have some.

Feb. 19, 2021, 12:56 p.m.

still waiting for my frame... Builder dropped it off at shipper on Dec30. Xiamen  to Vancouver.. it's killing me, I have all the parts ready to go.

Feb. 19, 2021, 1:20 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

And rigid forks.

Obscure disc brakes if you don't already have some.

Gold! 

I laugh but Andrew’s articles have influenced more than a few of my choices and purchases over the years!

Feb. 19, 2021, 4:25 p.m.

I also got #influenced by Mr Major...

Now that I’ve ordered my year’s worth of spares, you’re all welcome to buy from TBS again. They have most of what I needed (Shimano stuff, 12s cassettes, chains, derailleurs, pads, rotors) Their prices are higher this year though. Last year I bought finned H03Cs for $49/pair, this year they’re $54. RT86 rotors are also up in price too $59/203mm in 2019, up to $85/203mm this year. 

They also have 29” MaxxGrip DD, Assegai, DHR2... get em while they’re hot!

Feb. 19, 2021, 10:12 p.m.

#amajorinfluenced many times here too

He has a sensible way of telling me what I want. I respect that.

Last edited by: mrbrett on Feb. 19, 2021, 10:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.