Bike frame/parts drought 2021

Jan. 16, 2021, 5:18 p.m.

So it looks like we're facing another year of bike, frame and parts delays. The bike shops I spoke with said they have their big booking orders on the way, arriving sometime between now and April. But after that, who knows when there will be more. It doesn't seem like we can rely on finding parts we need online or getting shops to order stuff in as there might not be inventory available. 

Their message: if you see the thing you want you should probably just buy it since it might not be available later.

I built up my spare bike and now both have fresh drivetrains, more tires for both as well as brake pads. I'm pretty much set for predictable consumables. 

Anyone lost in new bike limbo? What other things are people doing?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 16, 2021, 5:33 p.m.

brake pads and chains are the new toiletpaper

Jan. 16, 2021, 5:54 p.m.

I ended up with a competed different bike than I intended to buy this year due to lack of availability.

I was pretty much dead set on an Optic but the only thing available was a Sight and I didn't want to miss out on a full sus this year so I just bought the Sight.

Not a single regret at all though the bike has been absolutely amazing and I feel super lucky that I even got a bike with the state of inventory in the industry.

Last edited by: thaaad on Jan. 16, 2021, 6:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 16, 2021, 6:11 p.m.

Don't toast a derailer. May be an issue getting a replacement for the next few months. If you think you may need something in the next few months (tires, pads) I would get it now.

The question will be if that the bike shops will have another record year for bike sales? Might be some great deals to be had next fall if they don't move all the bikes they ordered.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Jan. 16, 2021, 6:20 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 16, 2021, 7:40 p.m.

Good plan.

Tires, check. Brake pads, check.

Grips! I think I go through them as fast as brake pads.

Dangnabbit, only mint green available.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Jan. 16, 2021, 7:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 16, 2021, 9:10 p.m.

I made sure I had spares (tires, chain, brake pads, grips) for next season before the new year and I am quite happy now that I see what's going on. I even had some "back in stock" alerts for some items at JensonUSA and for those that came back in stock, they were gone before I went to order!

Same thing for my suspension and frame, I made sure everything was sorted before winter and now I'll be able to rebuild what needs it since I have the parts on hand.

I have put for sale a bunch of parts that I could have never found use for, and they're selling surprisingly quick! Now is the time to unload the things you don't need.

So glad I built up my first fat bike before they closed the stores here as we have perfect snow conditions for riding in the East right now.

Last edited by: martin on Jan. 16, 2021, 9:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 16, 2021, 9:16 p.m.

I found it challenging at times building my bike this fall and winter. Definitely didn’t get as many off season deals as I normally would expect and I ended up with a few items that weren’t my first choice. 

I’ll be stocking up on brake pads and tires now.

Jan. 16, 2021, 9:21 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

I found it challenging at times building my bike this fall and winter. Definitely didn’t get as many off season deals as I normally would expect and I ended up with a few items that weren’t my first choice. 

I’ll be stocking up on brake pads and tires now.

Same thing for me! Last spring I couldn't find the shock I wanted in stock anywhere for my build (DVO Jade) so I had to pay quite a bit more for the only one Jade X I could find. Seeing the parts shortage situation, when the Jade came back in stock I bought one right away to have a backup.

E13 were supposed to have a new tire out and when I asked recently they said "They're ready but we don't even know when the factory will be able to make them so we can't give any date!"

Jan. 16, 2021, 9:52 p.m.

Got a spare chain for each bike. Spare derailleur that I will use to upgrade my fat bike if it's still sitting by next winter. Spare brake pads hanging on the wall. Spare tires neatly stacked in the basement.

I think those are all the consumables I would usually go through in a season, save for chain lube and sealant. The only difference is i have all that stuff now, rather than buying mid season. 

After reading a thread like this, it doesn't sound like I'm the only one.

Last edited by: mrbrett on Jan. 16, 2021, 9:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 16, 2021, 10:25 p.m.

I also spoke to someone today on their first ride on their Commencal Meta TR 29 that they ordered mid-August and it showed up literally today.

Jan. 17, 2021, 4:50 a.m.

I ordered in spare chains and brake pads for our bikes. I already had spare tires and enough random parts to keep our bikes going. I had no plans for a new bike in 2021 so the lack supply doesn't affect me on that end and I have 3 mountain bikes [FS + 2 HTs] so in a pinch I can keep rolling the whole of 2021 by canabalizing parts off of one for another. It's only taken 30+ years, but my bike hoarding tendencies have paid off bigly!

I have been dream building a couple new bikes now and again, but things being out of stock have ensured I couldn't drink one beer too many and make a snap decision my credit card would later regret.

I did want a 2nd pair of MTB pants and haven't managed to find any in stock in the correct size. I tend to do my online stuff early in the day and I seem to get the restock notification emails in the evening so by the time I click on the link the pants are gone. I'll keep working on it. Even if I end up with a 2nd set in the summer I'll be ready for next winter. Mentally I'm assuming we are not half-way through this pandemic. So I'll just hunker down and keep my head in the long game.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 17, 2021, 4:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 17, 2021, 8:55 a.m.

The full suspension bikes that I were thinking of buying aren't available until later this year or even into next year. So I have a freeride bike on order which will probably not go further than three feet off the ground ha ha..... And this thread has reminded me that I'll need to get some spares for that as well as the hardtail (which I've already bought a spare chain, derailleur, pads etc for....).

I don't think shops will be having a record year as like consumers, they will be having big issues getting product in.

Jan. 17, 2021, 9 a.m.

Shop bro told me where they normaly get multiple orders from a mfger or supplier they are expecting ONE order this year and no body really knows what to expect

they made big coin last year

I think 2021 is not the year to need to buy anything, I probaby don't need to and the new fat bike can be cannibalized

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 17, 2021, 9:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 17, 2021, 10:52 a.m.

It,s not just the bike industry. It,s just about ever industry. And if they can provide a product. Some are not allowing in store pick-up. Delivery only. I spent 2 weeks looking for a stacking washer/dryer combo. With delivery dates expected to be mid June. I managed to find a smaller store. They got the order done for me. And I can pick up at the store. We live rural and was not going to pay $300.00 for a delivery.

Going back to bikes, tough times just waited 4 mths for my new bike. Still waiting for the new helmet I ordered as well.

Some products never even shipped in 2020. We where looking for one of those tower patio heaters. I looked at 5 different stores. same response from each store. We put in a order and nothing has shown up. And they have no time frame to receive the product.

Jan. 17, 2021, 11:50 a.m.

Instead of giiving you a link just goggle "Shipping crisis" and get your own,

the common thread to all the shortages is that product is not moving from overseas where it is all now made to you.

There are 20 million seacans which are suposed to be circling the globe, right now maybe not so much

recently i been buying my wine by the case which gets me a free bottle

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 17, 2021, 11:57 a.m., edited 1 time in total.