Bike Computers - What's Good?

Jan. 23, 2022, 10:21 a.m.

My phone reception isn't too good in the mountains. I want something that will give me a basic idea of the trails and record to Strava. I've been looking at the new Wahoo Elemnt but I'm wondering if anyone has tried both Wahoo and Garmin. 

Thoughts?

Jan. 23, 2022, 11:28 a.m.

Have never tried a wahoo but have been rocking a Garmin Edge 520 for 3 years. The garmin has worked very well over that time. I have it paired with a heart rate monitor, my trainer and dual power meters all working without issue. For me there is one feature that above all others will make me buy garmin again - trailforks. It runs a trailforks app and allows me to upload trailforks maps so all the trails on trailforks are automatically uploaded onto my device. Also, I can make a route plan on trailforks, upload to my computer and receive turn by turn directions. This single feature makes this computer unbelievably valuable for me. To give you an idea, I went to ledgeview for the first time a few years ago. If you haven't been, it is a veritable rats nest of trails. I made a route in trailforks and never had to pull out my phone once the entire ride. Not sure how others get around this on a wahoo. Maybe there are features on wahoo I am not aware of. If you don't use trailforks much or explore new areas it may not be that useful for you but if you do, it is the next best thing to having a guide take you on a route.

Jan. 23, 2022, 12:17 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Not sure how others get around this on a wahoo.

using komoot instead.

Jan. 23, 2022, 12:27 p.m.

Apologies for the hijack, but I’m bike computer curious as well. 

With the Garmin can you browse trailforks maps, or are they limited to preloaded routes?

Basically I’d like something that lets me use trailforks like on the app, but with the better battery life, durability, accuracy etc of a GPS/bike computer.

Jan. 23, 2022, 4:19 p.m.

With the Garmin can you browse trailforks maps, or are they limited to preloaded routes?

Some of the upper end ones allow "Connect IQ" apps to be installed (just like your phone can install apps from the Google or Apple app stores). One of the apps (and there are many) is by Trailforks which overlays Trailforks data on your map.

However, you can't really "browse" like you do on a phone unless you get a touchscreen device (even more expensive). Cheaper models have a really clumsy method of panning and zooming using buttons which is completely unusable (I find it quicker to pull my phone out and use the Trailforks app on my phone than faff around trying to find a trail on my Garmin 530)

I've read some reports which said the touchscreens pretty unresponsive if using gloves or it's raining as well 

So, take "browsing" with a pinch of salt (or try before you buy)....

Jan. 23, 2022, 5:37 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Some of the upper end ones allow "Connect IQ" apps to be installed (just like your phone can install apps from the Google or Apple app stores). One of the apps (and there are many) is by Trailforks which overlays Trailforks data on your map.

However, you can't really "browse" like you do on a phone unless you get a touchscreen device (even more expensive). Cheaper models have a really clumsy method of panning and zooming using buttons which is completely unusable (I find it quicker to pull my phone out and use the Trailforks app on my phone than faff around trying to find a trail on my Garmin 530)

I've read some reports which said the touchscreens pretty unresponsive if using gloves or it's raining as well 

So, take "browsing" with a pinch of salt (or try before you buy)....

this^

You can zoom in and out but the screen is really small so as soon as you have a good area in view, the trails disappear at that level of zoom. If you program in a route, the map is very useful as it will show you which trail to take at any junction but for just finding your way around an area without a route, the phone is necessary.

Jan. 23, 2022, 6:01 p.m.

I have an Edge 530. Several things can be used to navigate. 

One is that when you stop for more than 5 seconds or so it shows a zoomed in map of that immediate area with trail names and colours. 

Option two is setting the default map view to a suitable zoom level and keeping that displayed for the whole ride. 

You still need some idea of what trails you’re doing in what order so the zoomed in map makes sense. 

I’d also skip the “mountain bike” kit, and go for the computer by itself if you’re looking. The remote control is silly, and the mount that’s included works better on a road bike than a mountain bike. 

I am a little concerned what might happen to the Trailforks/Garmin deal once outside inc gets their claws right into the Pinkbike empire but that remains to be seen. I’m sure if that deal dissolved another entity like Komoot would step into Trailforks’ place.

Jan. 23, 2022, 6:39 p.m.

Thanks dudes, this exactly the info I was looking for. 

Sounds like Garmin with a route loaded plus the phone in my pocket will cover all the bases. 

How useful is colour?  Someone has a 520 (I think) for sale locally at an attractive price but I believe it’s B&W.

Jan. 23, 2022, 6:54 p.m.

You can zoom in and out but the screen is really small so as soon as you have a good area in view, the trails disappear at that level of zoom. If you program in a route, the map is very useful as it will show you which trail to take at any junction but for just finding your way around an area without a route, the phone is necessary.

It's worth pointing out that a lot depends on trail density. On the North Shore, there's a lot of trails crammed into a small area which were the browsing/panning/zooming falls down.

In areas with less trail density, this isn't much of a problem (but then it's easier to look at a map and memorize the junctions).

Regarding colour, I find it useful as it reflects the green, blue, black trail rating so makes it helpful to confirm which trail you're on...but that wouldn't be much help if all your local trails are the same rating ;-)

Jan. 23, 2022, 7:56 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Thanks dudes, this exactly the info I was looking for. 

Sounds like Garmin with a route loaded plus the phone in my pocket will cover all the bases. 

How useful is colour?  Someone has a 520 (I think) for sale locally at an attractive price but I believe it’s B&W.

I have a 520 that has some colour. The colour definitely helps as the screen is pretty small so anything that can help you identify the important info is helpful. The 530 sounds like a superior computer based on mr B's description.  I'd skip the 520 and get something with updated software

Jan. 24, 2022, 8 a.m.

I was running an older one with a monochrome display, and upgraded for colour. Well worth it. I think the Edge 530 is also a fair bit "smarter" than the basic/legacy models and maps seem like less of a chore for the unit to handle - especially dense maps. If you can get your hands on a few models to look at in a store, and navigation is important to you that might be a good way to compare one model to another.

To be fair to the competition, I have to plead ignorance to at least some extent. I looked very briefly at some of the Hammerhead/Wahoo types of options and was concerned that Garmin is kind of the universal standard of fitness units. If a new sensor of some sort comes out, I can be sure it works for Garmin. Does it for the other ones? Probably yes, but having a mostly standard thing helps.

And, finally the Amazon price was just a couple of dollars more than getting it at a local shop. It's nice to support independent, especially when it doesn't come with a financial penalty.

Last edited by: mrbrett on Jan. 24, 2022, 8 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 24, 2022, 1:50 p.m.

Wow, integrating with Trailforks is amazing functionality. Being able to create a route on trailforks and directly port it in is exactly what I want to do, since Trailforks gives you the trail direction. I tried making routes with Komoot last summer but it was frustrating as it refused to route me on "hiking" trails at all if I told it I wanted a cycle route. 

Has anyone used the Wahoo devices? Do you know what kind of trail mapping they can do?

How waterproof are Garmin vs Wahoo?

Jan. 24, 2022, 6:54 p.m.

My garmin is completely waterproof for all weather 365 days a year in BC coastal. I went for buttons instead of touch screen so I wouldn't have to worry about rain on the touchscreen and gloves.

Jan. 25, 2022, 12:41 p.m.

Posted by: jgshinton

Wow, integrating with Trailforks is amazing functionality. Being able to create a route on trailforks and directly port it in is exactly what I want to do, since Trailforks gives you the trail direction. I tried making routes with Komoot last summer but it was frustrating as it refused to route me on "hiking" trails at all if I told it I wanted a cycle route.

Has anyone used the Wahoo devices? Do you know what kind of trail mapping they can do?

How waterproof are Garmin vs Wahoo?

uhm you can usually force komoot to use any trail on the map, just not the ones that are described with a barrier in it or pure climbing trails like via ferrata etc

that particular one is a gate to a private company space, no trespassing no routing possible

Last edited by: Sethimus on Jan. 25, 2022, 12:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 16, 2022, 10:12 p.m.

I have had good luck with the smaller Lezyne models. I,m pretty basic. I just used it for mileage data and such.No blue tooth either. I liked the fact it has it's own page for uploading. And you have the option to add it to strava if you choose.

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/gps-devices-computers/products/macro-easy-gps

This is the newest version of what I have. I bought mine a couple years ago now. I never had issues logging data. Some spots you might want to turn it on a few minutes before. I had a couple spots it would need a minute to find a connection.