Big shoes for big feet

April 9, 2014, 7:03 a.m.

So I've got big feet. I wear 5.10 impact lows in a 14 and the 5.10 Minnars in a 14. I mostly ride clipped in these days however and the Minnars aren't cutting it for pedally days. They're great on the big bike but heavy as shit on the am bike. Now seeing as I can't just walk into a store and try on size 48-50 shoes because nobody stocks them I'm only left to guess online. Does anyone on here have the same problem? I know a few manufacturers make my size in a more 'xc' style shoe but I need some insight on which ones to stay away from and which are good quality.

April 9, 2014, 9:44 a.m.

I'm only a 46/47 but even these are relatively hard to come by.
I had great luck with Shimano AM45s on my small bike. They're a bit heavy/warm but overall performance is great. They are definitely better suited to a high volume foot, which I am not.

I'm searching for a more pedally slim-fitting shoe, but something grippy that's not an XC carbon-soled disco boot.
In order of stiffness: Giro Terraduro [HTML_REMOVED] Specialized Rime [HTML_REMOVED] Shimano M162. The Terraduro and Rime come in a 48 but the 162 comes in a 50 apparently.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 9, 2014, 11:01 a.m.

Size 49 here. I've had a solid season pedaling in the Giro Gauge. Quite stiff, and a little on the disco slipper side: not confidence-inspiring for techy hike-a-bike, but comfy enough to hang out in post-ride. Durable so far after c. 2500km. A shame the Terraduro doesn't come in my size…

April 10, 2014, 4:56 p.m.

i'm about a 13.5 US which works fine for many size 13's but sometimes a bit tight. i bought a pair of Mavic Alpine XL's sight unseen from the interweb in size 13 and they fit very well and are quite large and voluminous. they come one size bigger in 13.5 UK and i'm glad i didn't get that size. unfortunately, you can't just find these shoes in Cdn stores but i think they may be a good option for you to look into.