big dude Squamish bike?

June 17, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

Tallboy LTc in XXL would be my first pick for Squamish. It's a little short on travel in the rear compared to what you're asking for but you can throw a 150mm Pike on it and it'll handle just about anything you can throw at it. Plus it'll pummel any longer travel bike when you point it up.

This is my set up (although not the size) and I'd agree… There isn't much I don't point this bike down. I also threw on a offset shock bush to slack the bike out by 0.5 of a degree.

Jon-boy.

June 17, 2014, 8:07 p.m.

thanks guys.
Honestly never considered a 29'er since I figured they were still a little more "up" oriented than I'd like and haven't given it much more thought than that, but it sounds like I should. I still want to be able to hammer down stuff and get into the air often (although only small airs).

a couple Q's.
- what about big-dude vs big wheel? ie. stiffness, breaking, etc.
- how does the travel relate? ie. 160mm on a 650b = ???mm on a 29er?
- how do the angles relate? for example.. 66deg headtube on 650b = ???deg on 29er?

I've tried googling but there's honestly too much info out there comparing them to be able to judge which info is the goods. Everything I've read about my desired bike style puts me at 650b.

thanks again.

June 17, 2014, 8:10 p.m.

thanks guys.
Honestly never considered a 29'er since I figured they were still a little more "up" oriented than I'd like and haven't given it much more thought than that, but it sounds like I should. I still want to be able to hammer down stuff and get into the air often (although only small airs).

a couple Q's.
- what about big-dude vs big wheel? ie. stiffness, breaking, etc.
- how does the travel relate? ie. 160mm on a 650b = ???mm on a 29er?
- how do the angles relate? for example.. 66deg headtube on 650b = ???deg on 29er?

I've tried googling but there's honestly too much info out there comparing them to be able to judge which info is the goods. Everything I've read about my desired bike style puts me at 650b.

thanks again.

Granted i am not as tall or heavy as yourself . BUT I am 220lbs and my Satori was awesome for shore and squamish riding. The original wheels sorta sucked . But i built a set of dt 350 hubs with stans flow ex rims. Flex was a thing of the past , and the bike was bomber with good legs for climbing. The only real flex i found was the dinky fork legs on the revelation . solved with a fox 34….
Granted i am

June 17, 2014, 8:25 p.m.

I felt this way about 29ers originally too. Then the E29 came out and changed a lot of people's minds. 29ers were seen as XC because they were built for that application. As soon as they started building AM-oriented bikes around big wheels people started to see what they were really capable of.

My last 26" bike was an 2011 XL Enduro carbon, which was a pretty good fit all things considered. But it felt like a fence rolling around on castors compared to my E29, which feels incredibly balanced. 29" wheels for me are like 26" wheels for someone who's 5'6".

Wheel strength is a possible issue. My E29 came with Traverse alloy rims that weren't bad but they weren't great. Eventually I killed them and got some Flows, which are much better. Now I'm hungrier for something even stiffer so I'm waiting for Derby to release their DH layup wide carbon rims later this summer. A 6'6" 230lb+ 29er rider in BC is like 1% of 1% so it takes a while for suitable gear to be available.

I think the travel translation makes sense. My bike has 160mm but I could do just as well with less. Geometry and fit count for more than travel. I would be more curious to know about rear end length. i.e. the Stump EVO 29er is the pedallier version of the E29, the main difference being longer chainstays and 15mm less travel.

My E29 has a 68' head angle and I would ride it down anything I could with my DH bike.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 17, 2014, 9:37 p.m.

6'5", 200lbs of pure raw power here ;]

i have both a long travel 29er with a 68d head angle 140mm in front 120 back and a 6" travel 650b bike. i like them both a lot, and both are quite capable but when it comes down to descending prowess, they are different bikes. i like the smaller wheel and long slack front end when it get's really steep and/or tight and twisty. the bike is more maneuverable and forgiving, takes hits and jumps better, as expected. all bikes are a compromise but you can find awesome examples of both 29ers and 650b bikes and yes to fit your size. if you can do yourself the favour and throw a leg over as many xl bikes possible, including the E29 and Norco Range KB.

June 17, 2014, 9:59 p.m.

thanks guys. I'll try to find a demo E29 soon and I've lined up a demo Range with my LBS. I've also heard good things about the Tallboy LTc, but I think out of budget for the spec I'd want.

June 17, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

I am 6'4" and 260lbs of hack. I love my XL banshee Prime…first bike I have had in a long time that feels like it fits. It goes up better than my Rune and Down better as well..so good.

June 18, 2014, 12:11 a.m.

Rocky Mountain Instinct 970 MSL "BC Edition" in XXL

-Super slack headtube angle with ride9
-Burly wheels and build
-Absolute ripper up and down

Trek Remedy 29 in 23"

-Again super ripper and some great spec on the Remedy 9
-Carbon options soon

6'6" and 200lbs here. Currently riding the Rocky and love it. Trek Remedy will probably be the next bike (slightly larger seat tube). Having a bike that fits you properly will change the way you ride!

June 18, 2014, 7:57 p.m.

Im 6'4", 210 and loving my rune v2 650b.

I really enjoyed the TBLTc, but you have to get proper, stiff, strong wheels.

So, in your situation, for squamish, I would vote for a Banshee Prime XL with DB air, with a 50mm stem, 800mm bars, nobl carbon wheels, and a pike. Dual DHR2 tires. Zee brakes, 7 inch rotors, SLX cranks 175mm, 1x10 32t with manual granny and 11-40 in the back. Clutch rear ZEE, KES LEV (non internal). The rest is up to you. don't forget some new swag to steez it up.

June 18, 2014, 8:29 p.m.

we have a couple guys coming into the shop who are in the 6'4" range. they are on shinobi's and a similar 29'r specialized. when you see a big guy on those bikes it just looks right. the bikes aren't that heavy really..

My riding bud who's 6+ rides a shin obi and loves it..

June 19, 2014, 8:39 a.m.

soo…. let's say I don't want a 29er. Any other good 650b options?

I want a playful bike and to get into the air often. I'm not concerned with enduro racing (ie. quick times or faster rolling to shave seconds off strava times) but I like that style of trails.

Sounds like you can comfortable take a newer slack 29er down anything… but is it as fun?
And do I need to shell out extra $$ to get carbon rims and a beefier fork to make it stiff enough on a 29er?

not closed to the idea, just still hesitant. and yes, I konw… demo, demo.

June 19, 2014, 8:47 a.m.

I really enjoyed the TBLTc, but you have to get proper, stiff, strong wheels.

So, in your situation, for squamish, I would vote for a Banshee Prime XL with DB air, with a 50mm stem, 800mm bars, nobl carbon wheels, and a pike. Dual DHR2 tires. Zee brakes, 7 inch rotors, SLX cranks 175mm, 1x10 32t with manual granny and 11-40 in the back. Clutch rear ZEE, KES LEV (non internal). The rest is up to you. don't forget some new swag to steez it up.

thanks for the specific rec's. I was already aiming for Pike + 800mm bars + 1x10 (11-40) + hub to handle it + KS LEV.

Good stiff strong wheels… I figure that's the key to a 29er for me. Was thinking I'd need the carbon upgrade, but that blows the budget for now.

June 19, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

thanks for the specific rec's. I was already aiming for Pike + 800mm bars + 1x10 (11-40) + hub to handle it + KS LEV.

Good stiff strong wheels… I figure that's the key to a 29er for me. Was thinking I'd need the carbon upgrade, but that blows the budget for now.

Well now that X1 is coming it could be possible to get a wider range 1x11 for less cash.

As for wheels if you can wait a few months there will be DH-layup Derby wide carbon rims coming for $300 each. Sure they're cheaper than $800 Enve's but still pricey compared to alloy.
I'd say Flows would be your minimum rim.

I've been running a 150mm LEV (non-internal) on my E29 for over a year and it's been awesome.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 19, 2014, 9:33 a.m.

I've also heard good things about the Tallboy LTc, but I think out of budget for the spec I'd want.

If the TBLTc is too much $$$, they also make the aluminum TBLT. A few of the other bikes mentioned are aluminum so might as well add this one to the mix.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/us/tallboy-lt

(I'm 6'2", ~220lbs with a TBLTc, XT [HTML_REMOVED] Fox build, this is the start of the third season on it)

June 19, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

I had a blast on a 29er, but the bike felt out of school on tech-knar at times. I would never consider crux moves such as skinnies to a wheelie drop etc. Mind you that's 0.5% of the time. I was too high up to feel confident on balance moves. I'm old-school and like that stuff. My build was light, and flexy in the front (fork and wheel), and had a steepish head angle so that all played a role. But I do remember doing some big stuff on my TBLTc. It was a confidence inspiring rig with any little bit of momentum. For slow, hard braking, tacking through a section, not so much.

The Prime intrigues me though, now that I know how good the KS link is (and DB air). You could always go industry 9 or something for wheels. Or get some LB carbon rims, and build them to hope hubs. Not a huge investment.

For me the deciding factor would be planned mileage. If you cover long distance on a day out, go 29. If you like riding the harriest stuff, go straight there, get your adrenalin fix, then head back to the truck, go 650b.

My perfect quiver of 3 would be my 26er DH bike, my 650b shore bike, and my Squamish 29er. But I've made a commitment to myself to stick with two bikes because they are enough work themselves.

The tricky thing with choosing the 29er will be sizing. For reference, my XL TBLTc fit like a glove, and on paper its a small bike relative so some XLs out there.

With my rune build I went 650b with an Xfusion Metric, running it in 180mm. Its been a blast to ride, and climbs great. XL frame with 35mm stem, borrowing from the 'forward geometry' concept. 35mm is twitchy in the slow, but really fun with momentum.