big dude Squamish bike?

June 19, 2014, 10:53 a.m.

I had a blast on a 29er, but the bike felt out of school on tech-knar at times. I would never consider crux moves such as skinnies to a wheelie drop etc. Mind you that's 0.5% of the time. I was too high up to feel confident on balance moves. I'm old-school and like that stuff. My build was light, and flexy in the front (fork and wheel), and had a steepish head angle so that all played a role. But I do remember doing some big stuff on my TBLTc. It was a confidence inspiring rig with any little bit of momentum. For slow, hard braking, tacking through a section, not so much.

I felt this way on the earlier 29ers I rode. But in the land of slacker angles, Pikes, 2.35 EVO tires and Flow rims that feeling doesn't really happen the same way. There's also a lot less riding of that type anymore.

I don't ever feel more 'high up' on my 29er. I feel like I'm in the correct spot finally. "In" the bike, as they say.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 19, 2014, 11:30 a.m.

For me the deciding factor would be planned mileage. … go straight there, get your adrenalin fix, then head back to the truck, go 650b.

Yes. This is me.
Biking is not my only/primary sport on any given day.

June 19, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

for 4-5k, you can build quite a nice new rig with smart shopping.

You can save money in some areas, and invest in the priority areas. I think suspension, wheels, and brakes are the most important. You can save in the frame and go aluminum, and divert that cash to the other areas.

experience from my recent build:

The rune v2 with DB air is the best frame ive had.
SLX cranks. They are cheap, stiff, light, and include an XT BB.
Zee brakes. Cheap and powerful. You can downsize rotors even.
The KS LEV has been flawless (non-internal)
Carbon rims are harsh, but very stiff. I went no name. Im stoked. The industry nine hubs are awesome.
I love 800mm bars. I tried 785 again briefly and didn't like it.
Ergon grips work. ive kitted both bikes with.
Zee clutch rear D, with 11-40 cassette. Has worked flawless. I did need to locktite the D limiter. Get a raceface narrow wide. (I went 34t, with manual granny)
I've never ridden a pike but am not apposed, although im bothered by the 15mm axle.

One thing my bike is not is light. But im so stoked on the ride, that I ride more and more, and get stronger and stronger, and find that the bike starts to pedal better and better as my legs get bigger. I have dual SG magic marys too. Slow rolling.

July 8, 2014, 1:07 p.m.

I've managed to demo a few bikes and I haven't found my magic bike yet.

In particular the E29 looked the most appealing just looking at it in the shop. I was ready just to commit to buy but decided I should demo first just in case. After taking it for a ride I didn't feel inspired to drop my credit card.

climbing felt great. sizing [HTML_REMOVED] fit felt great (finally!). I was open to the idea of 29er wheels… they didn't feel super sloppy and not stiff enough, which was a pleasant surprise, and they really accelerated out of berms and over roots and rocks. rolled fast. that stuff was all nice… but the bike didn't feel particularly FUN.

I had problems with under-steer in corners and the bike, and while fast rolling, it really wanted to stay glued to the ground. Whereas I wanted to pop off of and over things yet the bike wanted to roll.
I also felt like I was rocking back and forth a lot. I played with the shock pressure and rebound.
I did find railing berms was different, but I would chalk that up to just needing to get used to the bike.

I plan to re-demo and try it with some of my own components (namely longer bars, shorter stem and my dropper post).

Also now looking at the Giant Trance Advanced SX and trying to sort out a demo. Any big guys have experience with those???

thanks internet.

July 8, 2014, 1:10 p.m.

Try a 29er stumpy? Might feel a bit more lively.

July 8, 2014, 1:31 p.m.

I had problems with under-steer in corners and the bike, and while fast rolling, it really wanted to stay glued to the ground. Whereas I wanted to pop off of and over things yet the bike wanted to roll.
I also felt like I was rocking back and forth a lot. I played with the shock pressure and rebound.
I did find railing berms was different, but I would chalk that up to just needing to get used to the bike.

in my experience it does take some time to get used to a 29er coming off 26 (and vise versa). as wade simmons noted years ago, you have to manhandle the bike more in corners and when jumping, as the wagon wheels have a tendency to "just roll" - but once you get used to it, especially in terms of what those big wheels will let you get away with, the fun comes back in spades

i don't know about the sj being more lively. less travel might keep you on your toes a bit more vs the e29, but if anything the longer stays are going to make it feel even more planted. but again, once you start pushing it, the sj29 can open up a whole new realm of good times

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 8, 2014, 1:45 p.m.

I will say it again, try a Banshee Prime, very kickass bike!

July 8, 2014, 1:55 p.m.

It's too bad the Kona Process 111 has a short seat tube. Based on how my Taro rides, I bet that would be one fun wagon wheeler.

July 8, 2014, 1:56 p.m.

correct. way too short when I sat on it.

Also, my first preference is still 650b.

July 8, 2014, 2:41 p.m.

correct. way too short when I sat on it.

Also, my first preference is still 650b.

If you can track one down check out a XL Devinci Spartan. I'm digging mine - it's a medium though.

July 8, 2014, 2:51 p.m.

I think at 6'6" OP will find a 29er better for Squamish riding.

I think the Prime is bad-ass. But it's got kind of a short head tube (2cm shorter than the Specializeds). Though depending on how he's proportioned this might not be a major issue.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 9, 2014, 12:09 a.m.

Yeah, I am 6'4" and run the XL Prime and find it a great size with a 35mm stem…so at 6'6" it may be a little small, but I know guys my size that are happy with larges too it all depends on your body and personal preference. If you come over to Victoria I will let you take mine out for a rip if you want.

July 9, 2014, 4:13 a.m.

We have a guy of about your size in our riding group. He rides a 29-Stumpjumper and is super happy with the fit of the bike.
I think they really dialled the geometry on that for tall riders. When looking from a distance, he looks like a 5,8 guy riding a normal 26" Stumpy, you really have to look closely to see that its a tall guy on a 29.

July 9, 2014, 7:22 a.m.

I will say it again, try a Banshee Prime, very kickass bike!

+1 I live in Squamish, ride a prime (well only for a couple days) but love it. Way stiffer than my last 29er.

Aug. 20, 2014, 7:18 p.m.

FWIW…

I demoed or sat on pretty much anything I could get my hands on in the biggest size.
I ended up getting the Enduro 29 and so far I'm pretty stoked. getting my own components [HTML_REMOVED] setup on there (as opposed to the stock setup on the demo bike, which was also a lower spec) made a huge difference. looks like the bike is still in the lineup for next year too.

Good luck to any of you in a similar situation.

cheers