Best way to mount a lot of bikes on a wall?

Feb. 17, 2011, 4:33 p.m.

Okay, I've got a storage locker that is a reasonable size (right now I've got 6 mountain bikes leaning up against each other in it) but I want to get them upright on the wall for better access and because Arthur at Suspensionwerx berated me (in his nicest way) for not keeping the fork sponge thingies bathed in oil when storing my bike. Also, I'd like to squeeze in more bikes if possible (probably bringing a couple of roadies into the mix). Does anybody have advice on the best way to squeeze in as many bikes as possible on to a wall?

I saw a couple of good ideas in this thread but am wondering if there are any better solutions.

One idea I had was to cover the wall with a sheet of wood so that I would have something to screw into and then put a bunch of hangers (like this one from MEC or this one from Racor that looks a little better) on a 45ish degree angle so that handlebars don't mesh together.

Thoughts? Extra points for a solution that is easy to get bikes on and off of (i.e. can my gf do it without me).

Feb. 17, 2011, 5:05 p.m.

I have three of the MEC ones you posted on a wall and I staggered them vertically to keep the bars apart, so the middle bike is a foot or so higher than the others. It works pretty well and my GF can get her bikes down too if they're on the bottom hooks.

That said, the rubber ont eh MEC ones is pretty flimsy so the spokes punched through it in the first few months. I'd try the other one you posted, or I have one like this that's held up a lot better.

Tilting the bars may not work as well as you think. The bikes might fall off the hook if it's pointing down and it would be a lot harder to get them on/off if you point the hook up. I know with my north shore rack on my truck, it's a huge PITA to get a bike off if it's between two others.

Feb. 17, 2011, 5:20 p.m.

I use the Mec hangers to hang up my road bike and MTB. No complaints so far. The only tricky bit was getting the correct bolts for fixing to a brick wall.

| My Bike | :scotland: XCer attempting to adjust to :canada:'s Mother Hucka trails…

Feb. 17, 2011, 6:01 p.m.

i using this item with excellent results..

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442507577[HTML_REMOVED]FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692829

super easy to remove bikes on and off

Feb. 17, 2011, 7:13 p.m.

why not just hang the bikes side by side but one by the front wheel, the next by the rear and so on

Feb. 17, 2011, 7:24 p.m.

why not just hang the bikes side by side but one by the front wheel, the next by the rear and so on

I'm not totally opposed to it. But I was thinking a) it might be easier to take bikes off and put them back on with the handlebars at the top and b) the whole issue with forks being better off when there's oil bathing the seals.

Feb. 17, 2011, 7:34 p.m.

Hang them from the roof by the wheels?

Feb. 17, 2011, 8:06 p.m.

walmart/home depot/revy have heavy duty hooks for cheap. Put a 2 x 4 or similar into the studs, and then the hooks into the 2 x 4. Cheap and very effective.

Feb. 17, 2011, 8:27 p.m.

hanging by the rear wheel is much easier to take on and off, but you don't get the benefit of fork lubination.

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 17, 2011, 9:09 p.m.

I used the ghetto hook method for the big bike because a 2.5 tire won't fit in the MEC one, otherwise the MEC one is great. Easy in/out and a 30 second install install once you find a stud. Ghetto hook wasn't much more challenging, all you need is 2' - 2"x6", 2 x 3" screws and the hook. And just so your brain is absolutely unnecessary, put the hook 4" from the top and the wheel will be centered.

Feb. 17, 2011, 9:48 p.m.

walmart/home depot/revy have heavy duty hooks for cheap. Put a 2 x 4 or similar into the studs, and then the hooks into the 2 x 4. Cheap and very effective.

this. plus you can stagger the hooks at different height, or flip every other bike upside down, to pack more in. handlebars make this a bit of a pita, but if you're careful on the install and don't mind a bit of fussing it's not a big deal

mec hangers are for fags :thepimp:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 17, 2011, 10:07 p.m.

7 bikes, 3 pairs of skis, camping gear and a tool chest in an 10x8 room

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Feb. 18, 2011, 8:47 a.m.

Thoughts? Extra points for a solution that is easy to get bikes on and off of (i.e. can my gf do it without me).

I second the MEC wall hooks. I just did my shop wall with them they are clean [HTML_REMOVED] easy to install. They also now fit a 2.5 wheel. I have 8 bikes hanging on the wall and 4 of them have 2.5 minions on them. The rubber can catch a bit but the tires do fit just fine.

I have hung mine in alternating fasion (1 with bars up one with bars down) on the wall spaced about pedal width apart. The whole wall is about 8' long. But in your case if you have the room hang them bars up but then you are limted to bar width which is not allot of bikes in a row.

As far as mounting. The easiest way would be putting up some plywood or 1/2+ wood to on the wall. Mount that to the studs. Then all your rackets can be attached with little to no anchors.

I my case my wall had a 1/4' sheet of plywood with 1/2 dry over it. I used some burly wall anchors for my big bikes (DH/AM) but the rest hang on the supplied screws and anchors from mec.

I can post a pic if ya want…

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Feb. 18, 2011, 10:14 a.m.

I usually screw any of those rubber coated hooks from the hardware store up a bit higher or to the roof studs

alternate which wheel you hang the bikes from to fit more in as mentioned

on bikes with suspension forks I have had fork fluid leak when the bike was hung from the front wheel so I always hang suspension forks from the rear wheel