Best waterproof shorts?

Oct. 7, 2019, 4:27 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Shammies , WTF are those . Get a quality seat , no need for those.

It depends on what I'm riding and how long I'll be out for. Anything under an hour and it's just a thong underneath some riding shorts. If I'm out for a bigger ride with lots of climbing then it's the shammies (chamois for the aristocratically inclined). Even if I decided to drop some coin on a pricey pair of waterproof (resistant) shorts for long rides with plenty of climbing I'd still rock the shammies.

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 9, 2019, 4 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 9, 2019, 3:25 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Wool tights or 3/4's under the lightest weight summer shorts you can find. If it's actually waterproof enough to keep you dry you'll sweat them out and end up wet inside anyway. The wool will keep you warm when wet, I'll take warm and wet any day over wet and cold because nothing short of a rubber suit is actually waterproof. The light summer weight shorts shouldn't hold much water when they are soaked. 

Unless you're just banging shuttle laps, then just take some cheap over pants and cut them off at the knees and pull them on overtop your regular riding gear.

I Googled "Wool Tights" and despie three hours of checking the results, still didn't find anything that I have the figure for. Have you any recommendations?

Oct. 10, 2019, 4:03 p.m.

Posted by: paul-lindsay

Wool tights or 3/4's under the lightest weight summer shorts you can find. If it's actually waterproof enough to keep you dry you'll sweat them out and end up wet inside anyway. The wool will keep you warm when wet, I'll take warm and wet any day over wet and cold because nothing short of a rubber suit is actually waterproof. The light summer weight shorts shouldn't hold much water when they are soaked.

Unless you're just banging shuttle laps, then just take some cheap over pants and cut them off at the knees and pull them on overtop your regular riding gear.

I Googled "Wool Tights" and despie three hours of checking the results, still didn't find anything that I have the figure for. Have you any recommendations?

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-425/Merino-T3-Long-Johns

I have a non wool pair I cut to 3/4 length. I only use in the really cold weather or when it,s just above freezing and pouring rain.

https://www.patagonia.ca/product/mens-capilene-thermal-weight-boot-length-bottoms/43680.html?dwvar_43680_color=BLK&cgid=baselayers#tile-24=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Non+Brand+-+Dynamic+Search+-+Base+Layers&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyozkhuaS5QIVGNRkCh1lGwnREAAYAyAAEgJukfD_BwE&start=1&sz=48

A 3/4 length version. Mine are roughly the same length.

Last edited by: DemonMike on Oct. 10, 2019, 4:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 13, 2019, 9:17 p.m.

I've been happy with my agents, one season so far, keeps me dry, and a bit warmer than my regular riding shorts, still reasonably breathable.

Dec. 27, 2019, 8:27 a.m.

Same question. 

Recommendations for a good pair of wool riding tights? 

Or a shop on NS worth perusing. Looked through MEC, BSP and Cove yesterday. .

Dec. 27, 2019, 5:29 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Same question.

Recommendations for a good pair of wool riding tights?

Or a shop on NS worth perusing. Looked through MEC, BSP and Cove yesterday. .

You all need to pray to baby Jebus that the re-constituted Ibex brings back the El Fito 3/4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiSGm2umkd8

They are so critical to my existence that I bought a lifetime supply when Ibex v1.0 was about to crater and was blowing them out.

They were also available in a bib format for those that want the prime Bret Hart look when they ride.

Kitsbow currently offers something similar to the non-bib El Fito 3/4s but with the typical Kitsbow markup.  I'm a more than a little surprised the 7Mesh doesn't have something in their ever-expanding catalog.

The one drawback with wearing regular  (3/4 or full-length) merino long-johns is lack of abrasion resistance.  I used to wear long johns under RF Indy pants to ride in and build and the Cordura ate the crotches out of the woolies in no time.