Best waterproof shorts?

Oct. 3, 2019, 9:27 a.m.

I currently have the Endura MT500 Spray shorts for winter riding that I've had for a few seasons. They are decent but only are waterproof on the bum side and not on the front so they don't keep you dry when it's raining. Looking for something fully waterproof this year. Looks like Endura has a fully waterproof version of the same short, which should be a good option. Other options I am seeing are the Fox Attack Water short and the 7mesh Revo shorts, which I assume  are top notch but they are quite pricey. Raceface I think has some waterproof shorts as well. 

What shorts have you guys had success with in the winter on the Shore?

Oct. 3, 2019, 10:32 a.m.

I've had the Endura waterproof shorts for a year. Very happy with them. Still keeping me dry!

Oct. 3, 2019, 11:16 a.m.

Wool tights or 3/4's under the lightest weight summer shorts you can find. If it's actually waterproof enough to keep you dry you'll sweat them out and end up wet inside anyway. The wool will keep you warm when wet, I'll take warm and wet any day over wet and cold because nothing short of a rubber suit is actually waterproof. The light summer weight shorts shouldn't hold much water when they are soaked. 

Unless you're just banging shuttle laps, then just take some cheap over pants and cut them off at the knees and pull them on overtop your regular riding gear.

Oct. 3, 2019, 12:03 p.m.

7Mesh Revo short, going on 3 seasons and they still look new. Using them for trail and commuting.

Oct. 3, 2019, 12:13 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Wool tights or 3/4's under the lightest weight summer shorts you can find. If it's actually waterproof enough to keep you dry you'll sweat them out and end up wet inside anyway. The wool will keep you warm when wet, I'll take warm and wet any day over wet and cold because nothing short of a rubber suit is actually waterproof. The light summer weight shorts shouldn't hold much water when they are soaked. 

Unless you're just banging shuttle laps, then just take some cheap over pants and cut them off at the knees and pull them on overtop your regular riding gear.

Try that with a wool allergy!

Oct. 3, 2019, 12:56 p.m.

Have a pair by Royal, used three seasons now and still going. Reasonably priced on Jenson.

Oct. 3, 2019, 1:13 p.m.

Another vote for Royal. Much more durable than agents in my experience. Had to re-tape them a bit but running like new now (3rd season).

Oct. 3, 2019, 3:06 p.m.

Still rocking my Altura 3/4 shorts. 6 seasons and still holding up .

Oct. 3, 2019, 3:22 p.m.

Posted by: Ouch

I've had the Endura waterproof shorts for a year. Very happy with them. Still keeping me dry!

Same

Oct. 3, 2019, 5:18 p.m.

I like the 7Mesh shorts. I also have some Endura ¾ bottoms and they are just OK. They fit better standing bolt upright than on the bike but if it’s not actually raining too hard I’ll wear them to save the 7Mesh shorts. The one negative with the 7Mesh is that the cuff catches on my bottle cage mounted mini pump even with knee pads on which take up some of the slack.

Oct. 3, 2019, 6:23 p.m.

I'm on this page too, cheap set of lightweight shell shorts over woolies over top of shammies. When the ride is done just pull off the dirty shell and woolies, toss them in a bag and pull on a dry set of shorts for for the ride home or apres. Get home and hose off the dirty ones and just hang to dry. Even in the wet my legs never really get cold though, so I'm more concerned about keeping my feet warm. I find a double or even triple layer of thin poly-pro socks under some wool socks are magic - and they're cheap as chips. If you want a bit more protection and ride clips get a cheap set of neoprene booties off of ebay/amazon.

For tops it's the same deal, a single or double layer of merino depending on temps and a lightweight water resistant jersey/jacket to deal with the mud. Toss the jersey in the same bag as the shorts and then hose em off at home before hanging dry. 

The worst part about winter riding is the extra maintenance on the bike and having your wiener shriveled up like a baby carrot due to the cold and wet.

Oct. 3, 2019, 6:29 p.m.

Shammies , WTF are those . Get a quality seat , no need for those.

Oct. 3, 2019, 9:49 p.m.

having your wiener shriveled up like a baby carrot due to the cold and wet.

It's not just me!

Oct. 3, 2019, 9:56 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcovHHOCtpQ

Oct. 4, 2019, 5:06 a.m.

Hahahaha , bring on the cold and damp weather LOL.