Best waterproof shorts?

Oct. 4, 2019, 7:49 a.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Shammies , WTF are those . Get a quality seat , no need for those.

Exsqueeze me? Mike you must have a choda of steel, or no salt in your sweat. So you wear cotton Y fronts underneath? Commando? Yikes!

Oct. 4, 2019, 11:10 a.m.

waterproof shorts should come with a shovel so you can fix the trail damage afterwards....

Oct. 4, 2019, 12:17 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

waterproof shorts should come with a shovel so you can fix the trail damage afterwards....

totally.  unless you're riding the mapped NSMBA-maintained trails that can support wet weather riding.

Oct. 4, 2019, 10:23 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

7Mesh Revo short, going on 3 seasons and they still look new. Using them for trail and commuting.

I have the Revo shorts too. They are amazing. Mine are 2 seasons old and also still look like new.

Oct. 5, 2019, 5:18 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Exsqueeze me? Mike you must have a choda of steel, or no salt in your sweat. So you wear cotton Y fronts underneath? Commando? Yikes!

Mark,s Driwear briefs and a SQlabs 611Active saddle. Have not used a shammie since the early 90,s. The right saddle helps a lot. Gold Bond powder helps in the summer.

Oct. 5, 2019, 7:51 a.m.

Mark,s Driwear briefs and a SQlabs 611Active saddle. Have not used a shammie since the early 90,s. The right saddle helps a lot. Gold Bond powder helps in the summer.

A nice pair of Saxx Kinetic compression shorts in the long leg version is perfect for winter. No shammy needed, especially with a correct-width 611. I learned I have 150mm sit bones. 99% of saddles are 140 so that explains a lot. Also for those saddle companies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3maAkXB0Y

Oct. 5, 2019, 8:26 a.m.

I use some Gore shorts that were part of a pair of zip-off pants. 

I don’t think anyone actually buys convertible pants so you can often find really nice ones at a steep discount. 

Someone mentioned a wool allergy: I went all in on merino and THEN my genetic eczema curse kicked in- couldn’t wear wool anymore. Major bummer, but since I’ve discovered that all Merino is not the same. If you’re willing I experiment, you may find some that doesn’t bother you. Cloudveil works for me, some of the Costco stuff works for me. Icebreaker is a nightmare, as is the MEC stuff I’ve tried. Good luck, itchy skin is a bit of a nightmare!

Oct. 5, 2019, 8:28 a.m.

how many km are you riding usually, seated?

Oct. 5, 2019, 6:36 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

how many km are you riding usually, seated?

I have done 35km enduro races. My typical ride is 3 to 4km or straight climbing for the first lap. I sit as often as I can. Manscaping a bit helps as well , truth be told LOL. I used to commute 55km a day no shammie as well.

Oct. 5, 2019, 6:41 p.m.

Posted by: craw

A nice pair of Saxx Kinetic compression shorts in the long leg version is perfect for winter. No shammy needed, especially with a correct-width 611. I learned I have 150mm sit bones. 99% of saddles are 140 so that explains a lot. Also for those saddle companies:

Think mines a 130mm , I have always used a narrow saddle. Too wide and it rubs on my quads to much. Playing with fore and aft positions with the saddle helps as well.

Thanks for the tip about SAXX, I will look into them. Winter is sooner than summer now. Time to get ready for it.

Oct. 6, 2019, 12:03 a.m.

You forgot the Dryrobe https://dryrobe.com/collections/short-sleeve-dryrobe for changing/waiting and while maintaining the bike.

Oct. 6, 2019, 8:22 a.m.

Do any of you own gear from NF? Apparently they release a waterproof pair of pants. I hate wet and muddy shins.

Oct. 6, 2019, 8:42 a.m.

Agreed adult diapers can wait at least 20 more years! Getting the right saddle is key, but it's something you gotta find through trial and error like finding a pair of shoes that fit your feet great.

Oct. 6, 2019, 10:35 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Agreed adult diapers can wait at least 20 more years! Getting the right saddle is key, but it's something you gotta find through trial and error like finding a pair of shoes that fit your feet great.

Is that similar to a chamois? There is a good argument that having a good padded seat negates the need for a padded short too. As long as the undergarment isn’t cotton and has no seams where you sit I think it works quite well. For long rides though I prefer a bib Lycra short with a good chamois.

Oct. 6, 2019, 1:57 p.m.

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/area-of-use/mtb/mtb-saddle/sqlab-saddle-611-ergowave-active.html

This is the one I have , next bike will have one as well . Might try their bars and new slip-on grips.