Best Saddle of all time

June 19, 2020, 8:48 p.m.

Posted by: Jenkins5

Just picked up a new SDG Bel Air 3 and daaaammmn is it comfortable. Good looking and light too. Highly recommend!

Which stores carry these in North Vancouver or closest? I've try the Ergon SM sport, WTB Volt, both I can feel my right sitbone after a bit riding. The Henge feels better than both of these, but still not comfortable. Might look at the Specialized power comp as well. The SQ lab seats look to have similar profile as the SM and Volt, so I won't both trying that one for the price. My ass needs a comfortable saddle!

June 20, 2020, 10:56 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

so if you have a saddle you like and the cover starts ripping its easy and way cheaper to fix cover rips/holes  with either aqua seal or VLP liquid vinal repair

I’ve done recovers as well, using Value Village suede and 3M Super 77 spray adhesive with contact cement for the edges. 

Waaaaaay easier than you’d guess. My first one only took 30 mins, I can bang em out in about 15 now.

June 20, 2020, 1:44 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

so if you have a saddle you like and the cover starts ripping its easy and way cheaper to fix cover rips/holes  with either aqua seal or VLP liquid vinal repair

I’ve done recovers as well, using Value Village suede and 3M Super 77 spray adhesive with contact cement for the edges. 

Waaaaaay easier than you’d guess. My first one only took 30 mins, I can bang em out in about 15 now.

Could you post a picture? I'd love to see a "master's" work before going through the bother of all that to have it come out looking like faf.

June 21, 2020, 2:01 p.m.

wow you guys wana fix something, i thot you liked throwing money around ?

June 21, 2020, 6:01 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: tashi

Could you post a picture? I'd love to see a "master's" work before going through the bother of all that to have it come out looking like faf.

Sorry, I don’t have pics. 

It’s not hard though, if you’re not already drunk when you start it’ll look great. 👍🏼

June 21, 2020, 8:53 p.m.

Throwing nickels around like manhole covers.

On an SQlab because my riding partner is the rep. Inhumanely angular, but it'll be staying on this bike.

I'd rather have a nice new soft saddle, but every single saddle I looked at in the store costs money.

Think I'd try a Gobi. Fizik seems to not be available retail anywhere though.

What's the squishy factor on that SDG?

June 22, 2020, 9:46 a.m.

My next one will use a Louis Vitton bag for the leather.

June 22, 2020, 11:36 a.m.

Louis Vitton Leather is very durable; a good choice for sure.

I have an original SDG Bel Air that is quite squishy. It has a more cradled profile so you have to like that. I have a few other SDG's (duster pictured above, fly and a falcon) all of which are fairly firm and flat in profile. I prefer them. Turns out I like flat firm saddles. They also all have nice durable covers. Not Louis durable but I have yet to wear one out. I have two ti and one chromo. The ti rails seem to offer more compliance, which I like.

June 22, 2020, 12:31 p.m.

you can rip a brand new saddle in one ride, nothing wrong with the saddle but it is no longer a virgin

so I've fixed the cover on a few with VLP liquid vinal repair and aqua seal. Saddles tend to get torn on the sides/edges at the back 

so before they get too fucked up I smear a bit on the worn spots, on long rips its possible to do half the rip at a time by tapeing

the edges togetehr on half the rip at a time, it ain't perfect but its way cheaper than a new saddle 

I've never tried recovering  a saddle but I will have to get some leather from my local Louis Vitton dealer and giverago

re: posting picts, you don't upload to NSMB ? I assume you have to up load your pict to another picture hosting site and then link to that ?

June 22, 2020, 5:33 p.m.

re: posting picts, you don't upload to NSMB ? I assume you have to up load your pict to another picture hosting site and then link to that ?

I post to pinkbike then link the pic address

June 22, 2020, 9:47 p.m.

I thought I'd try the SDG Bel Air V3 steel for $81 CAD, not a huge investment if it didn't work. There's no distributer in BC or Canada for that matter. Shops state they can't order it and try online. I'm being cheap, I don't want to pay $25+ dollars for shipping.

So I guess I'll try either the Specialized power comp or phenom. Not a big fan of the exposed slot in the middle of the seat. I imagine it would be cooler, but alot of mud must get sprayed through there by the rear tire? But if it's comfortable, I guess that's what really matters.

Last edited by: Ouch on June 22, 2020, 10:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.