Best Saddle of all time

May 19, 2018, 6:44 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: craw

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1601/0029/files/SQlab_FitKit_Brochure_Inside_2016_Rev110116.pdf?12970387247907851297

Here is their fit kit page. Surprised they recommended a 140mm, but 150mm is the biggest size so I dont really know. According to their fit sizer, you would need a 160cm (140cm +2cm for MTB position) which doesnt exist. Maybe try re-measuring with some cardboard to see if you can replicate the results you got in the shop? On the other hand, if its now comfortable, I guess all this measuring and conjecture doesnt really matter :)

Maybe because I was so close to 140 they rounded down?

When I was saying cm above, I meant mm (sorry for the confusion).  You should be adding 20mm (2cm) to your sitbone measured width according to the SQlab system.  They say to round up if anything.  142mm sitbone width (your measurement) is quite wide, so Im confused how the whole thing works now.

I tried to look up the email conversation I had with SQ Lab (https://sqlab-usa.com/index.html in the US) and couldn't find it. I guess we talked on the phone. The 140 has been good for me so far. I'm tall but have pretty narrow hips so I didn't think going 140 seemed weird.

May 21, 2018, 8:06 a.m.

My arse has always got on well with the Charge Spoon and it's clones, and I'm currently running one on my grrrrravel bike. 

That being said I do like the Chromag trailmaster I have on my rootdown and I had an old Bontrager saddle (model was maybe called launch?) that I did huge mileage on which was similar with a thicker nose for more control.

Feb. 16, 2020, 11:16 p.m.

Anyone still running an SQlab (Craw?) or Ergon? My current 142mm Volt is becoming a pain in the sit bones and I'm on the lookout for something squishier for my non chamoised buttocks.

Also, on the website of one of these saddles, it says for upright MTB riding to add 2cm to your sit bone measurement to find your correct size. Sound legit?

Last edited by: Hepcat on Feb. 16, 2020, 11:22 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 17, 2020, 3:17 a.m.

I ride the SQLAB 611 Active 14cm, my sit bones measure 12,5cm roughly. The saddle is very comfortable, after you find the right angle with some experimentation. And a minuscule difference in angle makes the difference between discomfort and comfort, more than on conventional saddles imho.

It isn't super squishy though, pretty firm. The 612 is even LESS squishy. Don't know how it rides without a chamois.

They have squishier saddles though. They look a bit different, but a comfortable saddle may be more tolerable than an ugly one?

The 60X for example has more padding, without being a full blow trekking bike saddle. It's designed for e-mtbs - if you can get past that, it might fit the bill...

Even more padding on the 610. I rode that without chamois on my commuter for a while, worked great for me.

On my steep seat tube, long reach bikes (upright seated pedal position) I really DID have to go a bit wider on my saddles. And the SQLab shape with these weird steps really works for me. I don't have to angle the nose down, which has different draw backs...

I first rode the SQLAB 611 in 15cm. It was very comfortable for my sit bones, my legs rubbed the part between the nose and the tail, where the saddle tapers out. That made pedaling harder and while it didn't really hurt got uncomfortable over time. 

The 14cm wide model is really only a tiny bit narrower at the tapered part, but I can ride it for hours without any issue and my legs feel much fresher. 

I am 77kg and not very fleshy around the sit bones. I prefer a tad more padding.

Last edited by: Znarf on Feb. 17, 2020, 3:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2020, 11:01 a.m.

SQLAB best $$$ spent , I have the active version , and it narrow . So comfy . Helps me climbing as well .OH ya I,m a Ironbutt as well. No cham or similar. Very comfy !!!

Last edited by: DemonMike on Feb. 17, 2020, 11:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2020, 9:37 p.m.

Also on the 611 Active in 14. Measuring plus the calculations (+2) would have put me on the 15 but I decided to stick with my usual 14 and its been great, favourite saddle to date. As Znarf mentioned, the nose is quite wide which is really comfortable on those prolonged steep saddle up your taint climbs but does cause a little extra thigh rubbage on big mileage days...so I couldn't see going 15. I do use chamois.

Feb. 18, 2020, 2:05 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Anyone still running an SQlab (Craw?) or Ergon? My current 142mm Volt is becoming a pain in the sit bones and I'm on the lookout for something squishier for my non chamoised buttocks.

Also, on the website of one of these saddles, it says for upright MTB riding to add 2cm to your sit bone measurement to find your correct size. Sound legit?

I've still got SQLab 611 Ergowave Active S-Tube (150mm) on both bikes. Super happy with them.

Feb. 18, 2020, 7:26 p.m.

I think you all missed the point of this thread. It was to talk about how modern saddles suck in comparison to my 1990 Ti Flite. Not sure how we got so far off topic.... ;)

JK of course.

Butt seriously. The flite saddle. This thing is so beautiful

This just doesn't compare....

Feb. 19, 2020, 9:24 p.m.

Another vote for the SQlab 611. I’ve got a non active version and it’s been great. Got one on my mountain and road bikes.  I did have the plastic split early last year on one but a quick email to sq lab and they had a new one to me right away. The week I had to use a different saddle was horrible.

I used to always need to use a chamois but starting last year found it less necessary with this saddle for some reason. Next bike will have another one but I’ll try the active.

Feb. 20, 2020, 6:02 p.m.

Ordered an SQlab 60x, extra softness for tender bottoms.

Went for a ride with the SQlab dealer and he brought his sizing kit. Sit bones measured a horse butt width 130mm, per sizing directions ordered a 150mm saddle.

Perhaps worth noting: Seems SQlab sizing may be a bit different than WTB. My size 142 WTB Volt measured 142mm at the widest point, while the size 13cm SQlab 611 measured 142mm at the widest point.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Feb. 20, 2020, 6:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2020, 7:07 p.m.

I ride a SQlab 611 Carbon Active.  I have taken out all of the elastomers as I found it quite firm with any of them in.  This makes the wings the most 'active' they can be.  I measured my sitbones with the method described on their website (with cardboard and a sharpie) at just under 11cm and ordered a 13cm.  If I were to order another, id probably try a 14cm as I suspect I might be in between sizes?  The 13cm feels a bit narrow at times, and other times just right.  Im not sure if erring on the side of too narrow or too wide is better, but I imagine its personal preference to some degree.

Feb. 22, 2020, 3:09 p.m.

another vote for the Ti Flite

kind of ironic how it came in a box with a picture of the Concorde on it

Feb. 23, 2020, 6:45 p.m.

Big fan of the Flite, currently on five of my bikes. I get on better with it and it looks better than anything else, aside from a Brooks Pro for touring. 

Take my recommendation with a grain salt however, the nose will punch you right in the worst spot once in a while, my taint has 30 years of serious bikin miles in it and I’m basically infertile. These facts may all be related...

Feb. 24, 2020, 5:12 a.m.

I ride a SQlab 611 Carbon Active.  I have taken out all of the elastomers as I found it quite firm with any of them in.  This makes the wings the most 'active' they can be.  I measured my sitbones with the method described on their website (with cardboard and a sharpie) at just under 11cm and ordered a 13cm.  If I were to order another, id probably try a 14cm as I suspect I might be in between sizes?  The 13cm feels a bit narrow at times, and other times just right.  Im not sure if erring on the side of too narrow or too wide is better, but I imagine its personal preference to some degree.

Maybe I'll try mine again with all of the elastomers out. I did not get along with it at all, it is TOO good and placing all of the load on my sitbones. It felt like my sitbones were teething and trying to cut right through my asscheeks to get to the seat. Just too much pressure focused on a small area (I guess maybe my sitbones are too.. pointy...? 

It was slightly better with the softest elastomer.

Feb. 24, 2020, 8 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Maybe I'll try mine again with all of the elastomers out. I did not get along with it at all, it is TOO good and placing all of the load on my sitbones. It felt like my sitbones were teething and trying to cut right through my asscheeks to get to the seat. Just too much pressure focused on a small area (I guess maybe my sitbones are too.. pointy...? 

It was slightly better with the softest elastomer.

SQUATS!!!!! gotta build a ass LOL.