Best removable/stowable bike rack for hatchback car

June 27, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

So I have a the full-on hitch carrier plus roof rack bike carrier for my bike-carrier car. Just got a small car for wife`s business that may be used to carry a bike or 2 occasionally. Roof rack isn't practical (covered parking will be encountered), hitch is more than we want to pay for the odd bike trip.

Can anyone recommend a decent, sturdy rack for a small hatch (Mazda 3)? There are ones that are PoS but I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations?

June 27, 2013, 10:46 p.m.

Yakima King Joe 2 or 3

June 28, 2013, 8:42 a.m.

What about something like the Swagman Cross Country, or similar racks?

It is a hitch rack, but not to expensive and works for occasional use.

It doesn't take up to much room when not in use.

That is what we use on the back of our Civic, and what we used on the Escape before we bought the NSR4.

June 28, 2013, 9:11 a.m.

What about something like the Swagman Cross Country, or similar racks?

It is a hitch rack, but not to expensive and works for occasional use.

It doesn't take up to much room when not in use.

That is what we use on the back of our Civic, and what we used on the Escape before we bought the NSR4.

We have a hitch rack on our other vehicle.

How much does it cost? The hitch installation is extra as well. This is basically to carry a bike occasionally, like once or twice a month or so. Also, it might have to carry road bikes some of the time. Would 700c wheels hold in the wheel racks?

June 28, 2013, 9:33 a.m.

Yakima makes the best strap racks. You don't need the most expensive ones, but the King Joe would probably be best because you have a flat back on your vehicle. The King Joe has more adjustment to make a wide carry base than the Super Joe.

June 28, 2013, 9:53 a.m.

We have a hitch rack on our other vehicle.

How much does it cost? The hitch installation is extra as well. This is basically to carry a bike occasionally, like once or twice a month or so. Also, it might have to carry road bikes some of the time. Would 700c wheels hold in the wheel racks?

Cost about $160 at MEC, so far its worked well for all the kinds of bikes we've carried, road/hybrid/mtb. 29er, 26er

http://www.mec.ca/product/5016-603/swagman-xc-2-bike-folding-dual-receiver-hitch-rack/?f=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=swagman

If I was to buy again, though, I'd go for this version:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5018-825/swagman-xtc-2-bike-xc-dual-receiver-hitch-rack/?f=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=swagman

with the tie downs for the wheels..

My wife is happy using this one, putting it on the car herself and loading the bikes.

June 28, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

A hitch for my wife's car was about $130 and went on with four bolts in pre-drilled locations. Installation took me all of 20 minutes. By comparison the dealer wanted over $400 for the same thing (hitch, no wiring).

I got it online from hitchweb.

June 28, 2013, 10:33 p.m.

This is what I run.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

June 30, 2013, 1:11 p.m.

So I have a the full-on hitch carrier plus roof rack bike carrier for my bike-carrier car. Just got a small car for wife`s business that may be used to carry a bike or 2 occasionally. Roof rack isn't practical (covered parking will be encountered), hitch is more than we want to pay for the odd bike trip.

Can anyone recommend a decent, sturdy rack for a small hatch (Mazda 3)? There are ones that are PoS but I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations?

I'm a fan of the Yakima KingJoe Pro. Burly steel frame, big wide pads that contact the car, bike cradles with stabilizers built in, and easy to set up and fold down. Works on almost any vehicle, and has a lifetime warranty too.

Hitch N Gear

140 - 12820 Clarke Pl.

Richmond, BC V6V 2H1
604-233-0057

July 1, 2013, 4:46 a.m.

This is what I run.

I have seen that rack online for hella cheap, but was afraid to buy it for the wife's car. How do you like it? How does It handle two bikes? Any frame contact between the two bikes?

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 1, 2013, 8:08 a.m.

The rack is great, but there are a few cons.

The straps that go over the wheels suck. Didn't take long for them to crack and break. I use bungee's now.

Only time I've hand interfearance between two bikes was between seats and handle bars. Fixed by dropping or removing the seat.

My real gripe with it is most likely due to my hitch. The reciever is tucked waaaay underneither the bumper. When the rack is on its really hard to put a second bike on the inside. I'm planning on fixing the problem by making a new draw tube that is 150mm longer AND taller.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

July 1, 2013, 8:31 a.m.

The rack is great, but there are a few cons.

The straps that go over the wheels suck. Didn't take long for them to crack and break. I use bungee's now.

Only time I've hand interfearance between two bikes was between seats and handle bars. Fixed by dropping or removing the seat.

My real gripe with it is most likely due to my hitch. The reciever is tucked waaaay underneither the bumper. When the rack is on its really hard to put a second bike on the inside. I'm planning on fixing the problem by making a new draw tube that is 150mm longer AND taller.

Thanks for the mini review!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.