Best place to sell a 20 year old bike

Oct. 30, 2020, 8 a.m.

Hi,

Over the next 6 months I need to sell 4 bikes that are approximately 20 years old. This includes:

- 3 hardtails (Norco Kokanee, Kona Nunu and a Giant ATX 860); - all bikes were purchased for about $1,000;

- Full suspension XC - Norco XCS-1. 

None of the bikes have been ridden very hard, nor touched for at least the past 15 years. With the exception of the Kokanee (which was mainly used for parts), the other 3 bikes should be in decent working order (after tires are pumped up).

I'm not looking for a headache to get rid of the bikes, but I feel that given the bikes are ridable, I should be able to get something for them. Besides Craigslist or Kijiji, any suggestions on where to try and sell these bikes? Is there any bike shop that would buy these from me or even sell on consignment? I'm located in North Van.

thanks

Oct. 30, 2020, 9:35 p.m.

Hey,  another option is donating them to pedal society (our community bikes) and they will distribute them to individuals in need in the community.  

I’m not sure If/how they issue tax receipts for a bike donation.

Oct. 30, 2020, 9:59 p.m.

Posted by: shore9

Hi,

Over the next 6 months I need to sell 4 bikes that are approximately 20 years old. This includes:

- 3 hardtails (Norco Kokanee, Kona Nunu and a Giant ATX 860); - all bikes were purchased for about $1,000;

- Full suspension XC - Norco XCS-1. 

None of the bikes have been ridden very hard, nor touched for at least the past 15 years. With the exception of the Kokanee (which was mainly used for parts), the other 3 bikes should be in decent working order (after tires are pumped up).

I'm not looking for a headache to get rid of the bikes, but I feel that given the bikes are ridable, I should be able to get something for them. Besides Craigslist or Kijiji, any suggestions on where to try and sell these bikes? Is there any bike shop that would buy these from me or even sell on consignment? I'm located in North Van.

thanks

Bikes aren't worth anything now, they're like computers or the VCR your uncle bought in 1989. Donate them.

Oct. 30, 2020, 10:42 p.m.

You are four months too late. Pandemic summer was epic used bike sales time, off any site

Now that its rainy, dark and cold,

https://www.obsessionbikes.com/community/bikes-for-tykes/

Last edited by: heckler on Oct. 30, 2020, 10:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 31, 2020, 8:28 a.m.

The bike swaps are in spring but you kinda missed them

Check out this site, there seems to be a market for old mtn bikes and old parts,  especialy if they are lightly used and original

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VintageCanadianMTB

Oct. 31, 2020, 10:09 a.m.

Ya I offloaded a couple old bikes this year for a bit more than I normally would have.

Old bikes like what you have can always grab a couple hundred bucks but it may take some time to get them sold this time of year. I have had fantastic success selling on Facebook marketplace. Put the add up on a weekend morning when people are aimlessly browsing and half the time it’s gone by Sunday afternoon.

Last edited by: Poz on Oct. 31, 2020, 10:10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 31, 2020, 7:06 p.m.

eBay is another option, although the fees can be steep if the price is too low. 

No harm in listing on the pinkbike buy/sell as a local only sale. 

Donating them is always a good idea as well.