Best of 2020 Reader Lists...

Jan. 2, 2021, 8:08 a.m.

1. Long time reader and forum creeper and 2020 encouraged me to start posting on the forum. I love the discussion that happens here but maybe I have always been just a little shy to post (weirdly because it is the internet). Have not posted much but the connection has been beneficial when feeling shut in and disconnected.

2. Getting on my first steel hardtail since 2003, I had a beautiful black and red DMR Trailstar back in the day and bought my chromag Stylus in the same colour scheme. A brand new frame and some new to me forks then the rest was cannibalized from old bike/found in my friends garage laying about. It was great for slowing me down in the heat of the first wave and when I got back on my big wheel FS from time to time I felt the benefit of time on the hardtail.

Chromag Stylus

3. Moving to a home with a semi garage. We moved and the last place I lived had a deck covered to a room with 2x4's, plywood and plastic see through roof. I used this as my bike shop, was cold and dark but did the trick. We moved this year and my home now has a garage that the previous people had converted to an indoor room with a garage door. It is the shit. When being shown the house the person was not sure what to say about the room, he thought they had just done a half job and was getting ready to this is weird but... I said " wholly shit this is perfect!" Now the walls are covered in bikes and broken frames, I like to keep the skeletons.

Garage

5. That leads to the other use of the semi garage, home gym. I put together a home gym with minimal equipment in the spring. Mostly exercise elastic band things some weights and a shitty old stationary bike that was found on the side of the road. It was nothing fancy but got the job done and I was feeling in the best fitness I have in a long time. Maybe since that trailstar back in the day. This Christmas my wife upped my game and spoiled me with a smart trainer, over the top but she uses it too.

6. Biggest highlight of 2020 was the birth of my child in Nov. We are beat tired and I don't get out much, not that anyone is. That being said I already have a strider bike for her.

All in all, we are incredibly lucky and pleased to get on with 2021 and hopefully be able to introduce our baby to our friends and family in person at some point in this year.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Jan. 2, 2021, 10:20 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed your images
Jan. 2, 2021, 8:31 a.m.

Nice bike Nobby. Congrats on the new little one. You are role modelling for her well already by buying her a bike and showing her what a real man/lady-cave looks like. All the best for 2021. :-)

Jan. 2, 2021, 9:09 a.m.

Thanks Vic! Also thanks for the photo help, I thought I did it right...

Jan. 2, 2021, 9:21 a.m.

Posted by: nobby

Instead of copying the URL at the top of the PB page for the photo...put your mouse over the photo itself and right click then select copy image address. Then you can use that URL in a post and the photo will appear.

Jan. 2, 2021, 3:34 p.m.

1. Agreed on code rsc's. Pretty much perfect.

2. Expensive, but my Oakley DRT5 helmet has been awesome!

3. Like everyone, started riding in pants more often and probably won't go back to shorts unless it's like 20+

4. I worked as a bike mechanic for the first time this summer, was sweet

5. A few years ago I was up to 4 bikes. Was down to 2, then when the bike park was late opening and no extended play I figured I wouldnt ride DH much so sold my DH bike and have just 1 bike now (long travel 29er) and it's kinda nice just owning/maintaining/storing/paying for just 1 bike. Didn't feel held back in the bike park much at all.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Jan. 2, 2021, 3:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2021, 4:04 p.m.

Can confirm as Rahrider says, get out of the city.

Jan. 2, 2021, 6:45 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Instead of copying the URL at the top of the PB page for the photo...put your mouse over the photo itself and right click then select copy image address. Then you can use that URL in a post and the photo will appear.

Thank you, just tried that on PB so I could ensure I would remember.

Jan. 2, 2021, 9:04 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Thank you, just tried that on PB so I could ensure I would remember.

If you are posting on your phone, hold your finger on the photo and choose open picture in separate window, then copy the picture address from that one.

Jan. 2, 2021, 9:35 p.m.

1 . My beautiful son and wife.

2. Getting an industry job right smack in the middle of the pandemic.

3. Leaving Vancouver and moving in to a place with real space, a real garage, a yard for the kiddo and an office for the lady.

4. Riding my bike and enjoying it for what feels like the first time in years, and it feels like I've barely missed a beat skill wise (shockingly), confidence and cardio... not so much lol. Bonus - Taking the kiddo on real mountain bike trails!

Still a lot to be desired but I'll take those 4.

Last edited by: thaaad on Jan. 3, 2021, 11:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2021, 8:38 a.m.

1. Riding moar!

2. Getting back to trail building

3. Liking my BSW program and doing well

4. Surviving the turmoil of 2020

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 3, 2021, 8:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.