Best of 2020 Reader Lists...

Dec. 30, 2020, 6:53 a.m.

The "Best of 2020 Lists" on the front page of NSMB are fun. So what's your best of list for the year?

Sticking to gear related items....here's my list:

1. Steel Hardtails - I've been having a blast riding my hardtails this year. Modern geo makes them much more capable than they were just a few years ago.

2. Maxxis - Rekon Tires - I've been riding 29 x 2.6" and 29 x 2.8" Rekons a lot this year and they impressed me with how fast they roll and how well they grip given the light tread. They are my new favourite bikepacking tire.

3. High Rise/Generous Backsweep Bars - I guess I'm getting old and tired of being hunched over the front of my bike. I've been using the SQ Labs 12deg/16deg bars in what they call "high rise", which could be 25mm-50mm higher, Soma Dream bars, Deity Highside 50mm/80mm rise...needs more backsweep and a Jones 2.5" rise bars. I'll be trying that Pro Taper Bar Andrew posted about next. The higher rise feels good as does the higher backsweep. After a bit of adaptation I haven't found the 12-16 deg range bars to hold me back on techy terrain. I like the 20+ deg backsweep bars for touring/gravel grinding.

4. Frame Bags - I've been loving riding packless for the last few years. Having collected quite a few frame bags I can carry everything I need for even long rides on hot summer days on my bike. There is no going back for me. I know some people think a bike with bags/bottles on it looks goofy. That's okay I like the look and most people with a hydro or big fanny pack hanging off them look goofy so I don't see the point in judging! Props to Porcelain Rocket for making a lot of my favourite bags in Canada. Too bad Scott is moving on from the bag game, but his stuff is made so well I might be able to keep using them for as many years of riding as I have left in me!

5. Fenders - I can't imagine riding a mountain bike on the BC Coast in winter without generous fenders front and rear. I like the RRP longer front fender and the long Mudhugger rear fender.

6. Shimano 11 Speed Drivertain - Not sexy, but I have this on 2 of my mountain bikes and it works great, is easy to source and is priced reasonably. I may try the Shimano Deore 12 speed stuff people are talking about one day when all the HG drivers I own need replacing. Until then I'll just keep rocking the Shimano 11 speed stuff.

7. Code RSC Brakes - They are strong. They don't need a lot of maintenance. They don't have that super annoying wandering bite point. Honourable mention to my older Shimano brakes [pre-2014] that are still going strong and not doing anything funky.

8. Five Ten Bike Shoes - Every time I try the competition I wish I had just bought 5.10s. At the moment I'm loving the EPS Freeriders that are insulated and waterproof for winter riding. Too bad they stopped making them. **sigh** For dry weather I love the OG Freeriders and the Freerider Pros. The only 5.10s I didn't like were the set I had with the smooth contact soles. They had to be glued back together constantly and I always seemed to have to hike-a-bike over something slippery with them...even in summer.

9. Race Face Ruxton Pants - This is the first winter I have tried full length pants and I am loving them. These RF pants have an oddly large waist for the numbers on their size chart so I had to have a friend alter them...the design makes that easy. Once that little hiccup was taken care of they fit well, don't get too hot while providing enough extra warmth to be useful, they fabric is robust enough to survive some crashing, I can wear knee pads under them and pedal comfortably for several hours. If I could change one thing I'd love a normal waist/zipper/fly with belt loops. I'm going to try the NF pants for a Canadian made option when they are back in stock in my colour/size.

10. Winter Gloves - I haven't found a pair I fully love, but I am glad that I [finally] bought some warmer winter riding gloves. I'm not sure how or why I used to just soldier on with summer gloves [and shorts] in the winter, but I now see the error in my ways. I haven't found the perfect winter glove, but now that I know how nice they are I'll keep looking.

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 30, 2020, 6:55 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 30, 2020, 9:34 a.m.

Riding More

I rode more this year, and it made me happier, better at riding, and much less worried about upgrading and replacing my aging steeds. It’s just fun to get out and ride my bikes, even if the dropper post is finicky and the geo is a bit dated.

Dec. 30, 2020, 10:59 a.m.

Tannus tubeless inserts + Maxxgrip rubber.

Dec. 30, 2020, 1:38 p.m.

1. Living somewhere with mountains and trails again

2. Slowly regaining my confidence after years of abstinence from biking (see above)

3. All day, all weather commuting on the bike. Great way to avoid catching the bug on public transport and the merciless battle for civilization’s most precious resource: the parking spot

4. Complex suspension that isn’t a pain to set up thanks to good setup instructions (MRP and DVO in this case)

Dec. 31, 2020, 8:58 p.m.

Lovin this thread. Sorry moderators, but the best year end lists have been here and not the articles.

For my "best of" list, I'll start with

1) a real garage

It has been my favorite room to spend time in and I now do suspension service. My truing stand is actually mounted to something for the first time in 20 years. If you don't have one, I suggest getting one, even if it means moving outa van (can you back me up Thaad?)

2) chromag primer

Not much to say here. I've had lots of nice bikes but this one will probably be my favorite to ride for years. Capable without losing playfulness. If you don't have one, I would suggest getting one.

3) a gravel grinder

When I don't want to fight bridge traffic, I can get a terrific hour or two of exercise, take in some ocean views and cut through pacific spirit park to keep my routes interesting.

4) this seat

I realize its ugly as sin, but it's comfy, has ti rails and something about it just makes me happy.

5) this hack

In order to get two bottles on here i had to drill a hole for the screw in the B-RAD adapter plate and then i had to use progressively bigger drill bits to ream out a 2mm deep section for the screw head to counter sink into. I did this in my garage, using my new vice and new drill. The B-RAD is only 5mm thick to begin with so it was some mighty fine MacGyvering if I do say so myself. And this brimgs me back to #1 on this list, my awesome new garage where the magic happens.

Happy new year everyone. Hoping for some sunshine in 2021!

Last edited by: RAHrider on Dec. 31, 2020, 9:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 1, 2021, 6:17 a.m.

RAH I'm 100% jealous of that garage. I've told my GF when we move next I need a 2 car garage. She said "One for your bikes and one for my car?" Nope! Cars don't belong indoors. ;-)

Jan. 1, 2021, 6:18 a.m.

Posted by: cdel

I'm enjoying my Tannus tubeless insert on the rear of my hardtail. Can you get Maxxgrip in EXO? I'd be up for the sticker rubber, but I don't need the stiffer casing.

Jan. 1, 2021, 7:20 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

RAH I'm 100% jealous of that garage. I've told my GF when we move next I need a 2 car garage. She said "One for your bikes and one for my car?" Nope! Cars don't belong indoors. ;-)

Hear, hear. My wife tried the car thing when we got our two car garage. 

Needless to say it’s all bikes and workshop. Garage door opener is even disconnected!

Jan. 1, 2021, 7:43 a.m.

Keeping this gear related:

1. Gravel Bike 

I had been eyeing one for a while but the lockdown pushed me over the edge to order a cotic escapade frame and slap together a mishmash of new and existing parts. While I never lost my passion for biking this thing really reignited the sense of exploration I had growing up on the Sunshine Coast exploring for the sake of it. 

I’m going out my door and finding side roads, gravel paths, and trails I would never ride on my mountain bike. And I rode it to the top of Meadows in the Sky this fall, so that was cool. I’ve got some longer off-road day trips planned for next year that I’m excited about  

2. Adidas Five ten trail cross shoes. No picture but got these this summer and they are great. I want the high tops now. 

3. A new traildog. We got a COVID puppy this year and while she was too young for bike rides this year it’s on for next year. She loves being outside and is going to get tested xc skiing next week. 

Jan. 1, 2021, 9:07 a.m.

Yeah Team Cotic! And sweet puppy! My GF keeps threatening to get a dog. I'm more of a cat person, but I did say if she's getting a dog it has to be bike/hike/outdoor suitable. No lap dogs.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 1, 2021, 9:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 1, 2021, 9:25 a.m.

Beautiful puppy, what is she? She looks a lot like my doodle. And what’s her name?

Jan. 1, 2021, 9:49 a.m.

Thanks! Yes the Cotic is great, I got their last Escapade in stock before the new model came out. Wouldn't mind a BFE now but that will have to wait as I have something else I'm building in a couple weeks. 

The puppy is something else, she's a golden-doodle believe it or not. Golden mother, grey poodle father. All black litter. She is definitely more golden in demeanour and even looks and fur.  Amazing personality and a real family dog, she loves being with our kids no matter how crazy they get. 

We named her Pepper. Cliche, but it's perfect. She's been great for our older, smaller, dog.

Jan. 1, 2021, 11:03 a.m.

Haver fun training Pepper as a fine trail dog. She looks like a good bike buddy.

Jan. 1, 2021, 8:37 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: cdel

I'm enjoying my Tannus tubeless insert on the rear of my hardtail. Can you get Maxxgrip in EXO? I'd be up for the sticker rubber, but I don't need the stiffer casing.

Vic, I agree that you need a garage. I dont even want to ask where you keep all of your bikes/gear of not in a garage. It is so nice driving up to a house (not into a parking garage) and just rolling your bikes in. No locking. No series of doors to go through. 

In regards to exo maxx grip, I have found it easy to find minion dhf 2.5 WT in exo maxx grip. I bought 4 of them when they were 50$ on crc even.

Jan. 2, 2021, 5:32 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Vic, I agree that you need a garage. I dont even want to ask where you keep all of your bikes/gear of not in a garage. It is so nice driving up to a house (not into a parking garage) and just rolling your bikes in. No locking. No series of doors to go through. 

In regards to exo maxx grip, I have found it easy to find minion dhf 2.5 WT in exo maxx grip. I bought 4 of them when they were 50$ on crc even.

In theory I have a single car garage. But, I have to go through the gate into the yard and then through a man-door. Given we both ride, have lots of other sports gear. It's jammed full. It's also dark and cold. So not an inviting space to work on bikes. With limited space I don't see the point in putting any time/$$ into it to try and make it better. When we move and I get a sweet 2-car garage we can use 1 bay for storage and the other bay to actually work on bikes/gear. With good lighting, insulation, a TV + old laptop for videos, beer fridge and a sofa it will be amazing. ;-)

Thanks for the Maxxis tip. I guess they don't offer a DHF Maxxgrip + EXO in 29 x 2.6" at the moment. Hopefully that size will get more popular. When I found Maxxis 2.6" tires I finally found a casing volume that made me happy in their line up. Especially for hardtail use.