Best downtube fender?

Nov. 6, 2012, 1:45 p.m.

Hey all, just looking to keep dry this winter, I have a mucky nutz fender so most stuff that would shoot between the stanchions is getting caught..but still would like a little more protection..what do you use for a downtube fender?

Nov. 6, 2012, 1:56 p.m.

the flat ones that velcro on are simple and effective. Can't remember the name right now though.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 6, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

None. They don't do a hell of a lot. You still get crap on feet and shins and the down tube on most bikes is wide enough to keep stuff out of your face and you have the Mucky Nutz which are brilliant I must say. The only time you get stuff off the front wheel that will miss the down tube is when you are turning the wheel sharply, which only happens when your are going slow. The Mucky Nutz stops crap from being flung up in front of you where it stops and you ride into it.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 6, 2012, 3:24 p.m.

the flat ones that velcro on are simple and effective. Can't remember the name right now though.

Forward Deflector Shield, $5.25 at MEC

Nov. 6, 2012, 4:32 p.m.

They are okay, but like Oldfart said, MuckyNutz is all you need. I have a couple of downtube fenders, and they don't really do too much that the MN does cover.

Nov. 6, 2012, 4:43 p.m.

Anyone running a rear fender? MuckyNutz has a rear fender

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 6, 2012, 4:46 p.m.

Me run front fender. Ugly as sin but works well. Rear fender I tend to trip on so I don't no more yo yo. I prefer shite stripe.

SKS is teh brand I think.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 6, 2012, 5:18 p.m.

Mucky Nutz on the front=good,rear,not so much.

Nov. 6, 2012, 5:46 p.m.

I've got the Mucky Nutz (XL) on the back mounted to the seat-stay and was surpised how well it works. Like this pic http://www.muckynutz.com/image/cache/data/DSC03552b-150x150.jpg except mine is angled a bit further back.

Normally riding in this wet weather, I would get a lotta mud flung onto my back, but this keeps my backside mud-free. The effectiveness on the rear really depends how it will fit on your frame. The more you able to angle it away from vertical, the more effective it's going to be. It's hard to tell how it will fit on the back until you get one [HTML_REMOVED] fiddle with it. The nice thing is that it is soft [HTML_REMOVED] flexible so easy to fine tune [HTML_REMOVED] you can easily punch additional attachment holes into it if needed. And forget about using the supplied velcro strips [HTML_REMOVED] go zip ties for a better mount.

And yeah, they are a lot less annoying that those regular front [HTML_REMOVED] back fenders that tend to break, fall off [HTML_REMOVED] get in the way

Nov. 6, 2012, 9:28 p.m.

I got those forward deflector shields on a couple of bikes and they work pretty good, cheap and easy to to instal

No packaging is cool but some people don't like all that writing on their new fender, if you don't like the writing … just turn it over

Nov. 6, 2012, 10:07 p.m.

Mucky nutz for the fork, Crud Catcher on the downtube. Nothing on the back

Looking at the amount of mud on the crud catcher last ride, I can safely say that it does its job very well indeed

Nov. 6, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

I have been rocking the mucky nutz on all my bikesfor a couple years now. ( my sister lives in the uk and sent them too me)
They have been fantastic
best solution i have found thus far.

Nov. 6, 2012, 11:59 p.m.

I found a couple flat fenders like this (Ratail) in the spares bin at the LBS and cut them up into smaller versions that I liked more, popped a couple holes for zipties, and that was it. One was on a steel hardtail, so worked much better than a round tube, and the other was on a newer aluminum bike but still provided an inch more coverage. If you're doing a lot of road riding to and from trailheads, I might consider it again, but otherwise they're a bit more hassle than they're worth, and quite ugly.

flickr

Nov. 7, 2012, 9:16 a.m.

This reminds me I need to put my diy muckynuts back on the bike before tonight's ride.

Nov. 7, 2012, 11:59 a.m.

I'd ditch the downtube protectors, all they do is direct water right into the top of your shoes whilst you ride :(

I'd highly recommend the RRP fork guard, seems simple but extremely effective, been using these in the 160mm (Fox 36) and 100mm (Fox 32 29er) fork sizes for several seasons and they have saved my face and upper body from being sprayed with cr*p!

in this photo you will see some mess on the downtube, but the headtube, handlebars and myself are very clean

its the same idea that riders (mainly on DH bikes) have been doing for years, which was zip-tying cut inner tubes to their forks, but the RRP is a much neater package that doesn't rip easily and is quickly removable for cleaning and fork servicing

each time the fork compresses any crud stuck to the back of the neoprene RRP guard gets dumped, so its self cleaning whilst riding