Best DH brake system, c'mon in...

Aug. 21, 2012, 11:49 a.m.

new ZEE brakes for me, very impressed after first ride. can't compare to new or old saints, but slightly more power than new xtr or formula one and less fade on very long descents. similar modulation to xtr, far superior to grabby formula's.

can't see a reason to spend more for saints, they seem functionally identical.

It's what you can't see that is the main difference, talk to somebody from Shimano, or a good Shimano dealer, they will explain the difference in the pistons, calipers, etc…

That being said, the Zee will probably be fine, but you do get what you pay for.

Aug. 21, 2012, 2:26 p.m.

It's what you can't see that is the main difference, talk to somebody from Shimano, or a good Shimano dealer, they will explain the difference in the pistons, calipers, etc…

That being said, the Zee will probably be fine, but you do get what you pay for.

Wait a second…. I thought the only difference was the lack of on the fly reach adjust??

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Aug. 21, 2012, 2:45 p.m.

Wait a second…. I thought the only difference was the lack of on the fly reach adjust??

Nope,I talked to somebody who was working for Shimano at their product launch, there is definitely some differences in the internals of the brake (piston design for sure, I can't remember what else they said).

I would talk to the guys at Obsession Bikes, they are a Shimano partner shop and should be able to give you the real goods.

Aug. 24, 2012, 3:29 p.m.

well i can personally attest that the XT lever body will snap before the blade.
I now have a very bent blade and a hinge has snapped of the lever body itself, meaning i need to buy a full new lever assembly… wasnt that big of a crash, very slow but must have caught it at a bad angle. Also ripped my cable out the back of the reverb too.

Anyone know if i can use the external reach adjust from the xt and plug it into the zee??

Aug. 24, 2012, 5:24 p.m.

My xts are leaking around the caliper some where and I cant really see where from

Aug. 25, 2012, 12:53 a.m.

i remember reading somewhere about the olive not being crimped properly on some of the xt brakes. right where it the hose joins the caliper. cant remember what the solution was though.

Aug. 25, 2012, 11:05 a.m.

My xts are leaking around the caliper some where and I cant really see where from

Mine also…..its under warranty but it will be 3-4 weeks before I get a replacement.

Aug. 28, 2012, 1:31 p.m.

XOs, have been ace since their last re-working. Dumped the organic pads, re-bled, and pumped MC full of 5.1 They've been great and I've got ZERO urge to splurge on anything other right now.

Just for the record.

(and for anyone keeping track, I'll be back up there this Thursday - the 2 week anniversary of my first and hopefully last somewhat serious WBP stack)

DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 29, 2012, 9:36 p.m.

Experienced a little fade on my Saint brakes last time at Whistler. First time this has ever happened on these brakes. The pads are fairly new, maybe that was the issue? Had to adjust the levers out a bit.

Thread killer

Sept. 13, 2012, 1:27 p.m.

I haven't been on here in quite some time. I have been having issues with my Code R's. I bought them last year and they were great for 2 months. Then went soft with little to no feel. Bled them about 8 times could get a good solid feel out of them then an hr later pull them to the bar. So I took them into Caps where I bought them and they said I probably didn't bleed them correctly. They bled them called me an hour later and said they were ready. I thought great maybe I am just an idiot and can't bleed my own brakes. Got into the store and pulled them to the bar. The mechanic said, 'That's it they are going in for warranty.". 2 weeks and got them back with all new internals. Still not great. Decided to ride whistler during crankworx and took them to SRAM trailer they tried to bleed them, then gave me a new set instead. I put them on and went for a ride. With almost no brakes at all granted they needed to seat in but the lever feel was squishy at best. I ended up bleeding them in the parking lot and getting something out of them for the rest of the day, but no trust in them at all. Took them back to caps 3 weeks ago and find out that Norco has them still and they won't be ready until Oct ish. There is no recourse for a customer of sram products under warranty since norco only deals with bike shops and customers can't call in and get any info. The bike shops can only give you an update on them from what they are told from Norco. So SRAM customer service is failing and sram usa can't help. So I just bought a set of ZEE and hope to try them at whistler this weekend. My question to the group here is. Does anyone have any inside info on getting my brakes serviced? or finding out what is happening with them? I am not asking for new brakes or anything in particular I just want a set of brakes that work and that when I have multiple issues that I can talk to someone about the product that has a vested interest in customer retention.

Sept. 13, 2012, 1:34 p.m.

Hope Tech V4s coming in October!!!

Sept. 13, 2012, 2:22 p.m.

good choice on the zee's duffman. been running mine on my dh since august, and ran the front most of that time on my trail bike as well. hasnt lost power, if naything they feel better. Pads have barely worn down either which is nice…

Sept. 13, 2012, 5:26 p.m.

Duffman,the shimanos seem to perform well most of the time,but I have had trouble with earlier model brakes when below zero.It could be the mineral oil,but if you don't ride below freezing,who cares:grinno:

Sept. 13, 2012, 5:32 p.m.

Different Bikes is blowing out complete Formula The ONE brakesets (front and rear) for $349… that is a screaming good deal, I almost feel like I should be buying a set as spares!!

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

Sept. 13, 2012, 6:14 p.m.

Hope Tech V4s coming in October!!!

So nice! I might have to get those and put my other hopes on the small bike. Hmmmm
The new pedals and one piece chainring/bashguard looks nice too

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons