Best DH brake system, c'mon in...

June 28, 2012, 1:09 p.m.

I have a pair of el camenos Ill sell you cheap

I rode for Devinci in the UK during 2005 and my Ollie bike came with those horrible brakes

literally no stopping power (especially in the wet), tried new pads, new rotors, new hoses, numerous bleeds, no one could bleed them effectively, not even the UK distributor who had the same bleed equipment as the factory and Hayes trained wrenches!

was going on vacation to B.C. for a month and could not take the risk of ending up in a tree at Whistler, so put my old Hayes HFX-9 brakes on my Ollie and had some pad rub and tinkling noises, but could stop without any issues, especially during the rain for those that remember July of that year

June 28, 2012, 1:11 p.m.

I have Elixir CR on my FR/DH bike and when they are fresh (recently bled and adjusted) they are nearly perfect. By nearly perfect, it's the need to bleed often that I could do without, however I am talking every four park days or so. Mine are a few years old and I suspect the pad contact adjuster introduces some air.
Good luck.

are your brakes pre-2012? are they less than 2 years old?

if so, get them back to SRAM through your local dealer, they will cover this issues under warranty

as I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, there was an issue with the material used for the MC diaphragm on pre-2012 Avid brakes (not the pad contact adjuster as many were led to believe), it basically develops pin-holes leaks under hard use, and no matter how well you bleed the brake, it will soon leak and air will enter the MC and brake system :(

the new 2012 brakes have a new material in MC, and mine have been stellar, definitely a reliable brake

June 28, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

how about if you ask "what is the best brake for the $" ??

probably Code R or Deore

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 28, 2012, 3:04 p.m.

I fitted some X0 Trail Carbons yesterday…

Its my first time back on Avid brakes after being disappointed by Juicys [HTML_REMOVED] Codes. First impressions of the X0 Trails are very good. Lots of power, good modulation [HTML_REMOVED] quiet too. The carbon levers feel good [HTML_REMOVED] the whole package is well finished [HTML_REMOVED] a reasonable weight. On regular X0 brakes there's a noticeable amount of flex in the lever clamp, which SRAM seem to have fixed on the X0 Trails as they are solid.

Time will tell if they're as reliable as Shimano, which I have been running on all my bikes for the last few years with very good results. The Saint M810s on my DH bike have been flawless - can't wait to try the new versions that combine the shorty levers with the 4-pot calipers [HTML_REMOVED] Ice-Tech pads/rotors.

June 28, 2012, 3:28 p.m.

I really like the feel of Avid levers, but the power is just not there. In a perfect world I would run Saint callipers with Elixir or Code levers.

June 28, 2012, 5:18 p.m.

I've used Hope 4 pot brakes almost exclusively for the past 11 years or so. I love them.

June 28, 2012, 7:36 p.m.

Hope tech brakes pared with the new saint ice-tech discs should rock anyones boat.

June 28, 2012, 10:41 p.m.

how about if you ask "what is the best brake for the $" ??

Because I'm not really fussed about the $

No cork sniffin' here, but I'm inclined to buy something that works extremely well and endures well. If it costs more than something that's not as good, I can live with that.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 29, 2012, 9:53 a.m.

Hey DirtySanchez

If you are interested in trying the New Saint 820 Brakes let me know. I could set you up on one of our demo bikes for a few laps.

let me know

Fanatykco Ski & Cycle
Whistler BC
http://www.Fanatykco.com
604-938-9455 Shop /Repair /Rentals

June 29, 2012, 10:41 a.m.

If money was not an object…Hopes…they are the best IMO, if I had the cash I would be running them…so sexy too.

June 29, 2012, 10:45 a.m.

Many guys perform little or no maintenance on their bike… they service your fork when it feels sticky, pukes oil, and generally works like crap; they bleed their brakes when have to because the bike no longer stops before you get to the bars, etc.

haha this is probably me. I hate servicing bike stuff and am generally a fit and forget person, hence why I'm loving my bmx at the minute. I've started getting a bit pickier about my brakes though since I really hate a spongy lever feel which the Juicy 5s have a lot of unless they're just freshly bled!

June 29, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

+1 (or whatever vote number we are up to) for Hope 4 pots. I have a set on my big bike and hardtail. The older of the two is about 5 years old now and still going strong. As long as you bleed them once a year you will never have an issue.

It is always a good idea to have the same brakes on both bikes too. Makes spares and interchanging brakes if you do have an issue way less hassle.

There are more powerful brakes out there but the simplicity and reliability is top notch. The cnc work is hawt also.

June 29, 2012, 11:14 a.m.

The cnc work is hawt also.

Which wouldn't matter if they weren't such a good brake, but since they are so good. It
just makes them that more desirable. They are the Chris King of brakes.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

June 29, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

To the O.P…. get some Hopes, install them and let her rip.. you will be happy. Really.

June 29, 2012, 11:59 a.m.

are your brakes pre-2012? are they less than 2 years old?

if so, get them back to SRAM through your local dealer, they will cover this issues under warranty

as I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, there was an issue with the material used for the MC diaphragm on pre-2012 Avid brakes (not the pad contact adjuster as many were led to believe), it basically develops pin-holes leaks under hard use, and no matter how well you bleed the brake, it will soon leak and air will enter the MC and brake system :(

the new 2012 brakes have a new material in MC, and mine have been stellar, definitely a reliable brake

The brakes are from 2009 however I rebuilt them this spring with both lever and caliper service kits that included replacing the master cylinders. I am not 100% sure that it is the pad contact adjust but notice that I seem to develop some squish as I spin them to accomodate pad wear.