Best DH brake system, c'mon in...

June 27, 2012, 7:04 p.m.

I'm running Elixer 5's with 203mm rotors and like them, they've easily seen over 60k vertical feet in the last year with no problems - I'm actually still on the stock pads although the fronts are nearly worn down now. I only weigh 160lbs or so and I'm not a brake dragger, though.

I took my friends bike with the 2012 XT brakes out for a test spin and was impressed at the power - I think these will be my next brake set.

Interestingly enough I had an old set of Hayes HFX-9's that I swapped on temporarily for a dozen rides or so, I fully expected that after years of running Juicy 7's, Codes and other "high quality" brakes the performance would be terrible. I was quite surprised to not notice a single damn difference. I've been riding since the days of canteliever brakes so it's all relative I guess.

June 27, 2012, 9:04 p.m.

Nope not at all. I have large gloves and run the levers quite a few clicks out from the closest point. Very comfortable lever feel.

Buy them, you won't regret it. Make sure they are bled correctly before judgment, Summit bled them for me a few weeks ago. Factory bleeds sometimes aren't the greatest

Wait a minute… I thought these weren't adjustable as far as lever sweep went? So what's this bit about having to bend the levers and this and that about too far out.

You guys… I swear, like a knitting circle in here :lol:

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 27, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

They are adjustable… from "ridiculously far out" to "still a long ways out"… I bent them to "just close enough"…

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

June 28, 2012, 9:11 a.m.

Wait a minute… I thought these weren't adjustable as far as lever sweep went? So what's this bit about having to bend the levers and this and that about too far out.

You guys… I swear, like a knitting circle in here :lol:

Solution:

Ignore horseshit. Go down to WBP, find riders with Formulas (2010 and 2012 model year versions). Ask rider if you can fondle their levers (ooh missus). Make own judgement.

Simples.

You win, you will like Formulas, you will be happy, but rather less fat of wallet.

June 28, 2012, 9:29 a.m.

less fat of wallet..lol

June 28, 2012, 9:51 a.m.

Running 2012 Codes. Gotta love em.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 28, 2012, 9:56 a.m.

I have Elixir CR on my FR/DH bike and when they are fresh (recently bled and adjusted) they are nearly perfect. By nearly perfect, it's the need to bleed often that I could do without, however I am talking every four park days or so. Mine are a few years old and I suspect the pad contact adjuster introduces some air.

My wife has Formula Megas on her FR/DH bike and at first I wasn't a fan of the lever feel but have since warmed up to them. The stopping power is really solid and even for a heavy guy I haven't noticed fade. They also seem to stay air and issue free for a long time. I've pinched a few R1 and The One levers and if and when I look at a new set of binders will definitely consider them.

So, I guess I am giving thumbs up to Elixir CR which can be found fairly cheap in some places and adding weight to the suggestion to look at Formula.

Good luck.

June 28, 2012, 10:20 a.m.

I find it weird that people on t'internet have so many problems with brakes. I went just over 2 months in the bike park on a 2nd hand Juicy 5 + Formula K18, neither of which had their fluids changed before I came out, never had any brake fade and the only problem was the Formulas pads wore down far too quick due to how tiny they are. Both still being used on a weekly basis as well, though we don't really have big hills round here.

Are newer brakes just built shitter?

June 28, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

Many guys perform little or no maintenance on their bike… they service your fork when it feels sticky, pukes oil, and generally works like crap; they bleed their brakes when have to because the bike no longer stops before you get to the bars, etc.

On the other hand, people like myself want their expensive bike to always work and feel like brand new. I maintain my suspension according to the guidelines set out by the manufacturer, bleed the brakes once a season or more if necessary, replace a chain at least once a season, etc. I guess some people would probably say we waste money fixing something that isn't "broken" but on the other hand… if you're going to spend $5k on a bike and $200 a year in maintenance is the difference between it feeling like it's 5 years old and new, is that really so out of line?

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

June 28, 2012, 11:28 a.m.

My wife at sub 120lbs was able to get them to fade……but she's a charger(i should add that it was a big descent)

She did like the stopping power though.

I am 260+gear and I only feel fade on SUPER long DH runs…and I over brake just about everywhere…lol. Best brakes I have had other than my old magura's….but these just have so much more power.

June 28, 2012, 11:32 a.m.

I am 260+gear and I only feel fade on SUPER long DH runs…and I over brake just about everywhere…lol. Best brakes I have had other than my old magura's….but these just have so much more power.

Like I say, reviews seem to be varied.

Fade was felt on long runs too and I dont think she ever had any issues on local rips. There were a few other issues with the brake…..ingress of air, which seems pretty ramdom, but if you are one of the few who have the problem it seems hard to correct.

June 28, 2012, 11:38 a.m.

Both still being used on a weekly basis as well, though we don't really have big hills round here.

I have a buddy who blew out his new Avid, and put a Hayes nine back on his bike for a weekend in Whistler last year, and to this day he's still running that same brake. So you have a point there. I rode those "shitty" Hayes brakes for 8 years before stepping into the new brake zone.
:lol:

That said, I love my m810 Saints. I run them on my Podium, and had them on my old Team DH and they are an amazing brake. I'd say right up there with the Avid Codes that a lot of buddies ride. Expensive, but the ability to modulate and adjust based on feel and terrain is well worth it.

I put some Magura Louise on my bottlerocket, and unfortunately the front one crapped out on me shortly after. Those were some amazing brakes though. They didn't have the "bite" of a Saint or Code, but they sure stopped the bike. I replaced the front blown Mag with a cheap Elixer R, and spent a few days riding Whistler with that. Again, I was blown away with how well the "cheap" brake performed.

I think it's safe to say that most old school riders would be happy as hell with anything off the shelf these days. Compared to what we used to ride with, the new tech is amazing.

June 28, 2012, 12:42 p.m.

how about if you ask "what is the best brake for the $" ??

June 28, 2012, 12:58 p.m.

how about if you ask "what is the best brake for the $" ??

Shimano SLX M666.

June 28, 2012, 1:08 p.m.

the devils brake? uh oh….