Best DH brake system, c'mon in...

June 26, 2012, 10:03 p.m.

The issue with air getting into the system with Saint is the "free stroke" screw that when turned out, allows air to enter.
I'm not a huge fan of the lever ergonomics (I'll swap my old M810 levers for the new M820 to cure the problem) and I also find that the lever gets all wonky when the pads wear very thin (I like to get every last bit of material out of my pads). But overall, despite its shortcomings, is the best brake out there.

You're not a very good saleman….lol.

Like I say, for some the Saint is awesome and some hate them.

I'll stick with my Hopes for now.Not saying they are the best out there…but for me I like em.

June 26, 2012, 10:05 p.m.

Hope M4s or V2s are another solid choice.. but you won't see them getting the accolades that Codes and Saints might. I have the Tech M4s and they have never let me down.

We have 4 sets in our household and they seem to concure with your view.

June 26, 2012, 10:07 p.m.

Seeing as this thread is seemingly far from over, what of the Formula system… "The One"??

All kidding aside, just wondering where these are at in the bigger scheme of things?

sAFETY is aware of this, some others as well. By the time I'm loaded with armor, I'm kissing 190-195 lbs, on a large frame RM Flatline. Like I said, I can manage the XOs, but they're not ideal. There's too much grey area in the ON/OFF response when I'm in the more techy stuff.

Peace,
DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 26, 2012, 10:10 p.m.

I really like "the one"s but find the price too high to really consider them. Pretty much twice the price of Hope,Saint or Codes when you do a little digging price wise. (50% more is could be a little more accurate as it's been awhile since I priced them out).

June 26, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

You're not a very good saleman….lol.

Like I say, for some the Saint is awesome and some hate them.

I'll stick with my Hopes for now.Not saying they are the best out there…but for me I like em.

Sorry if it sounds like I dislike them, I was just picking out the few things I don't like about them.
I really do love the stopping power, they never fade or overheat, relatively easy to maintain, and did I mention the stopping power?

June 26, 2012, 10:13 p.m.

Sorry if it sounds like I dislike them, I was just picking out the few things I don't like about them.
I really do love the stopping power, they never fade or overheat, relatively easy to maintain, and did I mention the stopping power?

My wife at sub 120lbs was able to get them to fade……but she's a charger(i should add that it was a big descent)

She did like the stopping power though.

June 26, 2012, 10:16 p.m.

^ She must brake a lot :lol:

I actually find that the power increases when the temperatures rise.

June 26, 2012, 10:22 p.m.

Ya she's pretty slow….:rolleyes:

June 26, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

The new Hayes Primes are the sleeper.

Little heavy I'm sure people will say, but they are flawless after a bleed, they are nice with 2 on the fly adjusters that work perfectly.

I custom bend my levers, and have learned that they are finicky til the pads are broken in (I hate this part, my one beef).

Tough as shit and as powerful as anyone should need?

Hayes has a bad rap and it's fair based on lots of things that we could rant on about all day here.

How many of you have actually tried a Prime Pro that was set up properly?

Hmmm…lots of folks that bagged on 888's that have had to eat their words while some of us stayed true thru the dark times.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

June 26, 2012, 10:32 p.m.

Big fan of my Formula The Ones except for one thing… I found I couldn't adjust the levers into the bar enough to make them comfortable. If you have big hands this is probably a non issue but for me it was uncomfortable. We took the levers off, bent them in the vice, and now life is great. My previous set of brakes on my bike were Elixir CR Carbons and these feel like they have twice the power. The CRs would fade during a run at Whistler where the Ones just don't - period. I'm sure a Saint stops just as hard but many seem to indicate that the Saint is much more of an on/off switch while I enjoy the excellent ability to modulate on the Ones. Oh, and they are lighter than many XC brakes! Not even in the same realm as Codes or Saints on the weight front.

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

June 26, 2012, 10:35 p.m.

Hope M4s or V2s are another solid choice.. but you won't see them getting the accolades that Codes and Saints might. I have the Tech M4s and they have never let me down.

I love my M4's, way lighter than my codes (first gen). The codes were really nice, never
had any issues with them, still have them, "in waiting" but I think they'll be waiting
a while longer. I really like the modulation of the M4's, and while not as powerful as
my codes, they do stop me when I squeeze the lever (one finger always)…I'm 190lbs light.

I know someone I trust a lot that swears by the saints, but still has Hopes on his main bike.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

June 26, 2012, 10:40 p.m.

The new Hayes Primes are the sleeper.

Little heavy I'm sure people will say, but they are flawless after a bleed, they are nice with 2 on the fly adjusters that work perfectly.

I custom bend my levers, and have learned that they are finicky til the pads are broken in (I hate this part, my one beef).

Tough as shit and as powerful as anyone should need?

Hayes has a bad rap and it's fair based on lots of things that we could rant on about all day here.

How many of you have actually tried a Prime Pro that was set up properly?

Hmmm…lots of folks that bagged on 888's that have had to eat their words while some of us stayed true thru the dark times.

the dark times…..lol

gotta say if I wasn't running a Dorado, I would be all over the 888's

I know DaveM raves about his Primes.

June 26, 2012, 10:43 p.m.

I love my M4's, way lighter than my codes (first gen). The codes were really nice, never
had any issues with them, still have them, "in waiting" but I think they'll be waiting
a while longer. I really like the modulation of the M4's, and while not as powerful as
my codes, they do stop me when I squeeze the lever (one finger always)…I'm 190lbs light.

I know someone I trust a lot that swears by the saints, but still has Hopes on his main bike.

The new M4 Evo's are reportedly 15% stronger than the reg. M4's. The wife and I have both and it's hard to tell the difference, although the Evo's are on our DH bikes and the reg M4's are on our SS bikes.

June 26, 2012, 10:43 p.m.

Big fan of my Formula The Ones except for one thing… I found I couldn't adjust the levers into the bar enough to make them comfortable. If you have big hands this is probably a non issue but for me it was uncomfortable. We took the levers off, bent them in the vice, and now life is great. My previous set of brakes on my bike were Elixir CR Carbons and these feel like they have twice the power. The CRs would fade during a run at Whistler where the Ones just don't - period. I'm sure a Saint stops just as hard but many seem to indicate that the Saint is much more of an on/off switch while I enjoy the excellent ability to modulate on the Ones. Oh, and they are lighter than many XC brakes! Not even in the same realm as Codes or Saints on the weight front.

Mark

this, even with the lever in as far as possible, it's still too far. I ended up switching my grips to ruffians and stopped wearing gloves, brakes are powerful over all, just.. in terms of ergonomics.. it's not the best

June 26, 2012, 10:49 p.m.

Haha Bryan,

I loved that Dorito. I can't tell a lie. It wasn't perfect, but neither am I.

Won me some races that that year on a 888, and then some on a Dorado.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com