Best all rounder front tyre

July 26, 2015, 10:37 a.m.

Next time I think i'll just have to suck it up and run a downhill tire in the back. Can't be getting flats this often, especially racing.

July 26, 2015, 2:22 p.m.

Next time I think i'll just have to suck it up and run a downhill tire in the back. Can't be getting flats this often, especially racing.

EXOs are fairly light as far as reinforced tires go. Something ~1000 g might fare better without going to a full-on DH tire, like the Grid casing found on Specialized Butcher/Slaughter, WTB Tough, Bontrager SE5, Mavic Crossmax Charge/Roam XL, etc.

Aug. 19, 2015, 6:16 p.m.

I really want to try the Super Gravity Magic Mary and Hans Dampf. Currently running DHF/DHR2

Only thing is the SG casings are a whole pound more than the Maxxis tires! (1100g/1050g) vs (850g/800g)

Are these tires really worth carrying around the extra weight? am I going to get killed on climbs? especially as its all rotational weight.

Aug. 21, 2015, 10:59 p.m.

Best overall front tire?
Your mom.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 22, 2015, 11:42 p.m.

Well I'm back on dh casings and it kicks ass. So much stiffer and I realise i was bottoming out the Exo tires a lot. It's like riding on a magic carpet, insulated from the rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug. 23, 2015, 2:19 p.m.

new michelin "wild rock'r 2 advanced" is awesome! very aggressive tread, but doesn't roll as slow as expected. loads of braking and cornering traction, and very predictable transitions, really confidence inspiring. its like a mavic charge on steroids (taller/thicker knobs, stickier rubber, beefier casing). casing is much thicker than maxxis exo, similar to new maxxis "double down" or schwalbe super gravity, and similarly heavy. the casing is much damper, but much heavier than specialized grid. the "gum-x" rubber is very compliant and damp, feels like about a 50-ish duro, but is holding up nicely. haven't ridden the "magi-x" rubber, but it is very soft, similar to maxxis super tacky. they need to use less euro-silly nomenclature and market their tires properly.