Best all rounder front tyre

July 23, 2015, 11:35 a.m.

Yeah I figured there was no DHF II, the DHF and DHR are not tubeless ready while the DHR II is SO any reason not to go DHR II front and rear on 819 rims with some stans?

I am curious about this as well. Has anyone tried running the DHR II on the front?

July 23, 2015, 11:45 a.m.

I am curious about this as well. Has anyone tried running the DHR II on the front?

yup. it rules

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 23, 2015, 12:09 p.m.

I'm about to switch to the DHRII after many years of DHF and HRII on the front. It's interesting how Maxxis describes both as good for, Loose, Loose over Hard, and Medium dirt, but the DHF also says good for wet and muddy. In my experience the DHF knobs are spaced too closely to shed mud well. If I knew I'd be riding dry all the time I'd continue with the DHF up front but since I want "all around" I'm going DHRII based on the wider knob spacing.

~~~~~~~~~~~

July 23, 2015, 3:59 p.m.

I tried it and didn't like it. Love it as a rear tyre, and in principle it looks good for the front, but I found it didn't inspire confidence there. Then again, I'm running fairly narrow (Arch EX) rims, and people who were running wider rims (e.g. Flow) seemed to like them.

July 23, 2015, 4:07 p.m.

I tried it and didn't like it. Love it as a rear tyre, and in principle it looks good for the front, but I found it didn't inspire confidence there. Then again, I'm running fairly narrow (Arch EX) rims, and people who were running wider rims (e.g. Flow) seemed to like them.

weird, i run them on the same rims and love them

the only downside i've found is that (as kp warned) they can be a bit drifty when you're on the brake in the corners

the solution: don't brake in corners; tip it and rip it!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 23, 2015, 4:09 p.m.

The DHRII has a much more loose/drifty feel than the DHF or HRII. It will work great on the front, but you have to commit to cornering, it will break loose if you don't lean it over all the way.

If you are not aggressive when cornering, you will be better off with a HRII up front.

July 23, 2015, 5:42 p.m.

yup. it rules

This!
Had a HRII on the Surface then switched to DHRII. DH bike was a combo of HRII front/DHRII rear and dual DHRII before going to Magic Marys

The DHRII has a much more loose/drifty feel than the DHF or HRII. It will work great on the front, but you have to commit to cornering, it will break loose if you don't lean it over all the way.

If you are not aggressive when cornering, you will be better off with a HRII up front.

Yeah I've noticed the HRII compared to DHRII on 30mm Nancy carbon rims is more of a block profile, similar to the BFG ATs on my truck while the DHRII is more rounded.

I've ran a few DHFs on different bikes in various sizes/compounds and haven't really got what the circle jerk was/is about.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 23, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

so I mounted up the dhr II front [HTML_REMOVED] rear with the orange seal fluid and orange valve stems all available at MEC … cuz they were all available at MEC

the setup was really solid the tires mounted up fine, did not seem to leak thru the sidewalls or bead, the only leaks were around the valve stem which sealed pretty quik and the tire lost no air over nite, they mounted fine on 819's, Rode them on an easy flow trail I was familiar with, the Minions seem to roll fast and grip well … better than the old tires

July 23, 2015, 9:58 p.m.

yup. it rules

I concur. I run DHRII's front and rear on my trail bike and DH bike, and have no intention of changing. Never liked the DHF's for a rear, as they were squirmy. What I didn't realize is that they do squirm a little in the front as well, but you don't notice so much until it's gone. DHRII feels solid and brakes better, yet corners just as well as the DHF.

July 23, 2015, 11:25 p.m.

weird, i run them on the same rims and love them

the only downside i've found is that (as kp warned) they can be a bit drifty when you're on the brake in the corners

the solution: don't brake in corners; tip it and rip it!

Hmm, maybe I should give them another go. Currently running DHF / DHRII combo with a lot of success, but all this consensus on the DHRII up front is making me question my previous judgement.

July 24, 2015, 7:04 a.m.

Thanks for all the info guys, cornering is still my nemisis, I love jumps but I tend to drag my rear brake a little through berms…First time I rode at a bike park and on berms I fell from the top of a large berm and broke my Scaphoid and I have always been wary. Trails like Aline and Dirt merchant with nice large berms I am ok on but down here in Colorado there are much tighter and smaller berms so I go through a lot of rear brakes.

July 24, 2015, 8:06 a.m.

Thanks for all the info guys, cornering is still my nemisis, I love jumps but I tend to drag my rear brake a little through berms…First time I rode at a bike park and on berms I fell from the top of a large berm and broke my Scaphoid and I have always been wary. Trails like Aline and Dirt merchant with nice large berms I am ok on but down here in Colorado there are much tighter and smaller berms so I go through a lot of rear brakes.

If you want a front tire that will let you brake with control and confidence while cornering, have a look at the wtb vigilante. It doesn't corner hard like a minion, but through a pretty broad range of angles it grips super well, even if when you're on the binders

July 24, 2015, 8:30 a.m.

This!
Had a HRII on the Surface then switched to DHRII. DH bike was a combo of HRII front/DHRII rear and dual DHRII before going to Magic Marys

Yeah I've noticed the HRII compared to DHRII on 30mm Nancy carbon rims is more of a block profile, similar to the BFG ATs on my truck while the DHRII is more rounded.

I've ran a few DHFs on different bikes in various sizes/compounds and haven't really got what the circle jerk was/is about.

What this guy said. DHR II is awesome. The High Roller 2 is a good tire if it's soft or if you don't push it super hard in the corners. I find the side knobs too supple on the HR II.

I'm a fan of the Magic Mary in Vertstar for the front. I seem to mangle the side knobs on the rear though.

Like mentioned above the Vigilante is a an awesome front tire. Just mounted a High Grip version and rode it last night. Impressive braking traction, and the side knobs worked great, but it was fairly soft conditions.

I too never loved the DHF. It rolled pretty quick, but found it required a ton of lean angle to get any grip out of the side knobs. I always preferred the original High Roller.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

July 24, 2015, 9:09 p.m.

Slightly off topic but does anyone else find the EXO tires to completely suck? I just put a hole in my 3rd brand new tire in 4 months. This time right through a side knob and into the carcass. Stans wouldn't seal it up on the trail. Second (maxxis exo) tire this has happened to.

July 24, 2015, 9:32 p.m.

Slightly off topic but does anyone else find the EXO tires to completely suck? I just put a hole in my 3rd brand new tire in 4 months. This time right through a side knob and into the carcass. Stans wouldn't seal it up on the trail. Second (maxxis exo) tire this has happened to.

Been doing the same with Hans Dampf if that helps. Might just be the dry summer we are having, more new sharp rocks coming out everywhere.