Best all rounder front tyre

Feb. 10, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

mavic charge/roam setup wearing very well, still really digging that setup.
how's the new michelin?

Feb. 10, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

Michelin is mounted. First ride hopefully Wednesday. I will report back!

Feb. 11, 2015, 12:48 a.m.

I'm looking for a good north shore tire.

Riding 650b, have a Hans Dampf 2.35 both front and rear. I find that they are almost too voluminous- my bike bounces around a lot, and if I lower the pressure, I start getting R flats. I probably run them too hard because I'd rather not get a flat…

I'm looking to replace my front tire soon. I want something predictable on wet + rooty sections, as well as able to handle the faster stuff I'll be getting into when the shore dries up for the summer.

Currently thinking about the Magic Mary and the DHF2, both of which I can get through my shop.

Thoughts between those?

Feb. 12, 2015, 8:51 p.m.

The Rock'R 2 is fantastic!!!!

Rode TNT/Dales last night. Loving the Mavic Charge, Michelin Rock'R2 combo for sure. I got the gum-x compound for the RockR, which is the harder of the two, and its plenty soft.

The tire braked in a straight line great, cornered like a beast, and had great climbing traction. It also seemed to roll pretty darn well, but not much for long stretches of pedaling on that route.

It helps that i finally got a good bleed out of my brakes, and could ride with abandon.

Michelin is mounted. First ride hopefully Wednesday. I will report back!

Feb. 12, 2015, 8:54 p.m.

Both great tires. Go for the Magic mary front, and DHR2 rear. Good combo….

I did find the Magic Mary too square with my wide rims. It would track kinda weird. I've never tried the DHR2 front, but apparently a great tire there too. I did find the DHR2 a little drifty in the loose on loose over hard in whistler, but what isnt? my Kaiser wasnt….but the DHR2 rolled way faster.

I'm looking for a good north shore tire.

Riding 650b, have a Hans Dampf 2.35 both front and rear. I find that they are almost too voluminous- my bike bounces around a lot, and if I lower the pressure, I start getting R flats. I probably run them too hard because I'd rather not get a flat…

I'm looking to replace my front tire soon. I want something predictable on wet + rooty sections, as well as able to handle the faster stuff I'll be getting into when the shore dries up for the summer.

Currently thinking about the Magic Mary and the DHF2, both of which I can get through my shop.

Thoughts between those?

Feb. 14, 2015, 1:53 p.m.

Plus 1 really liking dhr2 on the rear.
I'm also running dhf2 on the front , really works well with dhr2's. I suppose it was designed too but dam nice durable grippy tires..

April 16, 2015, 7:46 a.m.

The grip and confidence a Magic Mary gives is hard to match. My second-hand bike came with one, but the sideknobs were all on the verge of ripping off. I bought the bike from a fairly aggressive rider and figured a fresh one might fare better under my riding.

Last night was my first ride on a brand new Magic Mary Trailstar in front. We rode Bobsled, Upper Crippler, the bottom of Expresso and Lower Skull, not a huge ride but some bits that involved steeps to heavy braking.

Just having a look at the tire, I can already see small cracks and tears around the base of the side knobs. Very disappointing.

Has anyone had better luck with these?

This tire is like cheating though. What is similar but lasts better? Maxxis Shorty?

I tried the Mavic Charge and thought it was a great tire, but not quite the front wheel of suction cups that is the Magic Mary. But after 5 rides, it looks pretty much brand new. It may be going back on soon.

April 16, 2015, 8:20 a.m.

it's a schwalbe; what did you expect?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 16, 2015, 10:16 a.m.

that's a standard feature of the mm. i did get mine to last the summer without the knobs actually falling off, but cornering tenaciousness did gradually dissipate as the cracking progressed. bit of a tradeoff, that. on a butcher right now, that's well grippy, rolls a bit better, and is certainly more durable. and cheaper, to boot. will be trying the mavic charge shortly…

April 16, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

that's a standard feature of the mm. i did get mine to last the summer without the knobs actually falling off, but cornering tenaciousness did gradually dissipate as the cracking progressed. bit of a tradeoff, that. on a butcher right now, that's well grippy, rolls a bit better, and is certainly more durable. and cheaper, to boot. will be trying the mavic charge shortly…

Are you on the Butcher control or grid? My schwalbe is completely void of any side knobs now so I'll be getting some tires for the weekend, the butcher/slaughter combo is what I'm looking at.

April 16, 2015, 11:55 a.m.

I have enjoyed Butchers as well. It is grippy enough, but the MM just takes grip to the next level.

(Also, a bit of spam, but my Mavic Charge is for sale)

April 16, 2015, 12:28 p.m.

Are you on the Butcher control or grid? My schwalbe is completely void of any side knobs now so I'll be getting some tires for the weekend, the butcher/slaughter combo is what I'm looking at.

i've got both. would go grid for aggressive riding; control is relatively flimsy and requires higher pressure (unsurprisingly). perhaps a control front if you're concerned about weight, and aren't too heavy. a solid pair of tires.

April 16, 2015, 12:37 p.m.

i've got both. would go grid for aggressive riding; control is relatively flimsy and requires higher pressure (unsurprisingly). perhaps a control front if you're concerned about weight, and aren't too heavy. a solid pair of tires.

I'm running a Butcher Control on the front of my hardtail. I managed to puncture the sidewall. Doing it again, I'd go Grid for the slight weight penalty.

April 16, 2015, 1:03 p.m.

Yeah grid it is then.

April 16, 2015, 8:49 p.m.

The grip and confidence a Magic Mary gives is hard to match. My second-hand bike came with one, but the sideknobs were all on the verge of ripping off. I bought the bike from a fairly aggressive rider and figured a fresh one might fare better under my riding.

Last night was my first ride on a brand new Magic Mary Trailstar in front. We rode Bobsled, Upper Crippler, the bottom of Expresso and Lower Skull, not a huge ride but some bits that involved steeps to heavy braking.

Just having a look at the tire, I can already see small cracks and tears around the base of the side knobs. Very disappointing.

Has anyone had better luck with these?

This tire is like cheating though. What is similar but lasts better? Maxxis Shorty?

I tried the Mavic Charge and thought it was a great tire, but not quite the front wheel of suction cups that is the Magic Mary. But after 5 rides, it looks pretty much brand new. It may be going back on soon.

back in the day the Michelin's and Tiogas where a 1 race weekend tire

#northsidetrailbuilders