Best all rounder front tyre

Oct. 8, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

You don´t need to trim down the HD in the front. If you put a Rock Razor in the rear this combination will roll incredibly well.
Spent spring+summer on those tires and they ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL fast.

Now I just mounted a Specialized Butcher Control instead of the Rock Razor, because it is getting slippery in the woods. Rolls noticeably slower, bearable though…

Oct. 8, 2014, 11:07 a.m.

am i missing something here?

is any dhr 2 less than 1,200g?

yeah, every non dh-specific model of the dhr2 in existence

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-470-121-minion-dhr-ii

as a clever fellow once said,

learn some shit :flame::agree:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 8, 2014, 11:19 a.m.

:rave:

been there, done that. maxxis site has a problem mate.

mountain section http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-311-121-minion-dhr-ii

dh section http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-311-122-minion-dhr-ii

---i see now that they have 2 choices of dhr2 in mountain section…duh??!!!:swearing:

:clap:

Oct. 8, 2014, 11:29 a.m.

20km of trail king 2.4 bliss todays.

they are nice until it gets wet and mucky….

Oct. 8, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

You don´t need to trim down the HD in the front. If you put a Rock Razor in the rear this combination will roll incredibly well.
Spent spring+summer on those tires and they ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL fast.

Now I just mounted a Specialized Butcher Control instead of the Rock Razor, because it is getting slippery in the woods. Rolls noticeably slower, bearable though…

You may need to trim the HD once the trails get wet n muddy, I find the HD packs up too much without the trim , once trimmed…no more mud collecting in the tread and still very grippy, if not even more so.

Oct. 8, 2014, 12:20 p.m.

You don´t need to trim down the HD in the front.

i didn't get a chance to try it, but i think trimming the transition knobs on the dampf would improve the tire's performance in all respects other than perhaps slow-speed wet rock crawling

stock the hd is a pretty mediocre tire imo/e: they pack up quickly in wet soil, mud or loam; they roll slow as snot; and there are too many transition knobs to allow the cornering ones to really dig in

edit: and don't get me started on their (lack of) durability and dead feel

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 8, 2014, 1:04 p.m.

I don't think trimming the HD is a good idea. That would be trying to convert the tire into something it isn't and can't hope to be.
The HD is a nice tire for intermediate trailriding, super predictable, great comfort booster for slow, techy stuff and light for the size.
But for agressive riding, get something with chunky side knobs and deep channels, there are tons of good options around.

Oct. 8, 2014, 1:07 p.m.

…so you have ridden in front, minion, hr2, hd and mavic charger is as much grippy but with less rolling resistance? is it also big volume?

have you tried any conti tyres?

tried trail king and mtn king yrs ago, they were great but their sidewalls were awful (they've since improved). good rubber, but not as sticky as some others, and strangely terrible in mud (even worse than DHF).

have used HR2, DHR2, and of course DHF (an over-rated tire imho). i find the new "maxx terra" compound a bit firm in wet conditions (ie. not much better than 60a), certainly a far cry from butcher sx or the mavic tires, but similar to schwalbe trailstar. i really like the HR2 and DHR2 tread patterns, i'm sure the "maxx grip" versions are great, but i'd rather not pedal them around. lots of tire punctures in pemby with maxxis exo for me, i've given up. they'd be fine in smoother terrain like squamish or northern vancouver though.

i agree if you can find butcher sx's, hard to beat them for value and performance, but mavic beats them in rolling resistance and tread wear while giving similar performance. wish they made a 29er version of both.

another good option is a cut hans dampf (clip the transition knobs), really improves cornering performance while maintaining its impressive braking traction.

tires tires tires
blah blah blah

Oct. 8, 2014, 3:36 p.m.

According to the Mavic website there is a 29er Charge.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 8, 2014, 10:06 p.m.

:alien:

Oct. 9, 2014, 2:26 a.m.

nice information rolling here guys! :fro:

about the trail king: in loamy wet stuff i find it great so far, although only 40km ridden.
let's agree that in mud, only specoific mud tyres can perform well, and trail king is no mud tyre.
maybe hr2 is more competent in mud than others non specific mud tyres.

about the sidewalls, my version is the protection+apex. it is really tough and stays put in the rim solidly with 25psi.

my next front will be the mavic charge or bontrager xr4. -[HTML_REMOVED] people rave on the bontys on how much grip they have for their rolling resistance.

clarklewis have you tested them (charge) in dry and wet-loamy conditions? they perform great in both worlds? roll is on par with which tyre?

Oct. 9, 2014, 8:37 a.m.

I'm blown away with Minion DHR2 front and rear. TR 2.3 on my trail bike and DH 2.4 on my DH bike. A couple of friends have done the same and are just as impressed.

How does the DHR2 2.3 (trail) tire perform in the wet? Thinking of picking up a set for the winter for my all mountain bike (riding the shore and a little bit of Squamish)

Oct. 9, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

On my AM hardtail I've been rocking the Bontrager XR4 for the last 3 months.

Amazing tire for doing a bit of everything. My new favorite.
They replaced Hans Dampfs, which I found to get a little vague when you leaned them over.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Oct. 9, 2014, 1:21 p.m.

I like to picture my front tire in a tuxedo T-shirt. 'Cause it says like, I wanna be formal but I’m here to party too.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 9, 2014, 2:10 p.m.

thank you guys!!! :coo:

another contender would be the bontrager xr4.

Any experience on them?

what is your type of riding?

I like Crippler rocks and Dark side gnar.I do the buff flowy stuff too like Severd D.
i run the bontrager XR4 pros up front. I get em cheap. Under 50 bucks.
A fresh tire always feel better.
Im not a wicked hot rider but I like em. The side knobs are solid and do not flex much. Tire has a round vrs square profile.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!