Bell, Giro and the AR-15

March 2, 2018, 1:37 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: three-sheets

This shit didnt happen 50 years ago...but the guns were still there. why?

Partial blame must be assigned to the pharmaceutical-industrial complex because ill or not, Americans are over medicated.

Throw energy drinks and such into the mix and it can screw people up. I have a sensitivity to certain drugs and stimulant's like caffeine and such , start mixing it all together and who knows what can happen.

March 2, 2018, 1:44 p.m.

http://time.com/money/5178193/wayne-lapierre-net-worth-nra-money-salary/

March 2, 2018, 3:50 p.m.

http://time.com/money/5178193/wayne-lapierre-net-worth-nra-money-salary/

Ethics aside, he was brought on to do a job and he increased membership and revenue for the association and got paid accordingly.

March 2, 2018, 6:55 p.m.

REI dumped them too.

Think the Vista shareholders are sitting up and paying attention now? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/02/gun-boycott-rei-mountain-equipment-co-op-stop-selling-major-outdoor-brand-due-to-its-weapons-sales-nra-ties/

March 3, 2018, 10:40 a.m.

In light of recent events I re-watched Bowling for Columbine last night just to see how things of changed now. Worth a rewatch.

March 3, 2018, 7:49 p.m.

“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn’t do it. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.”

—Author William S. Burroughs

March 4, 2018, 9:12 a.m.

“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn’t do it. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.”

—Author William S. Burroughs

So much for the constitutional principle of the separation/division of powers. 

Oh well, Naked Lunch was fun to read.

March 5, 2018, 10:35 p.m.

Just about to bring Uncle Dave's voice to this shitshow. Did anyone notice how many NRA members gang-banged our Facebook post for our article? Those dudes hunt in packs.

March 6, 2018, 9:43 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Just about to bring Uncle Dave's voice to this shitshow. Did anyone notice how many NRA members gang-banged our Facebook post for our article? Those dudes hunt in packs.

Hopefully they actually went and read the post too...moar clicks!

March 6, 2018, 9:45 a.m.

It just pisses me off that MEC, a Canadian co. Is wading into this mess. It just smacks to me of Canucks somehow thinking they can solve Muricas problems.

March 6, 2018, 10:49 a.m.

Posted by: gotham

It just pisses me off that MEC, a Canadian co. Is wading into this mess. It just smacks to me of Canucks somehow thinking they can solve Muricas problems.

Well MEC is member owned and said members are boycotting, not much Mec could do. Canadians can't solve America's problems you're correct, however America's problems do effect us so we can at least try to have a voice.

March 6, 2018, 10:52 a.m.

It just smacks to me of Canucks somehow thinking they can solve Muricas problems.

You're forgetting how many ex-pat 'mericans live here and how many international customers they have.

Last edited by: tungsten on March 6, 2018, 10:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 9, 2018, 9:34 a.m.

Maybe you are right, maybe it is time to step up the 'game' of responsibility on a broader scope and scale than those silly borders suggest?

March 11, 2018, 9:30 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Maybe you are right, maybe it is time to step up the 'game' of responsibility on a broader scope and scale than those silly borders suggest?

Now that's an interesting response. I hadn't considered this. So you're suggesting that one country could adopt a mentorship over countries plagued with problems?

March 11, 2018, 10 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Now that's an interesting response. I hadn't considered this. So you're suggesting that one country could adopt a mentorship over countries plagued with problems?

Interesting response from yourself as well.

Now...In my opinion (which does not account for much, I daresay) this sort of debate has been going on since the day the first coffee and banana farmers went fairtrade, the first people tried to change the working conditions of people in places like Bangladesh.

A bit far fetched maybe, but I think it all boils down to responsibility and buying as conscious as possible.

You are right of course, no country should adopt said mentorship, history is rife with examples gone really wrong - but I still think that I as an outsider have the choice to actively support the politics and fearmongering of the NRA rather indirectly via buying products from companies owned by Vista Outdoor, or not.

And as both a father and a teacher I choose to not do this. It all boils down to choices as always.

A rather straightforward example from a slightly different context: Desmond Tutu once said that the only way to show that RSA was wrong in its policies of apartheid was to simply refrain from buying SA products.

This is a mere example from a different context, so please refrain from spinning it in any way, but an example that shows how change can happen.

And I really think that the debate about US gun culture has to start to be objective and rational. Call me arrogant or foolhardy, if you like. 

And yes, I personally know hunters, military personnel and people who like to shoot at ranges. No problem there but the whole debate in the US has gone wrong, as Uncle Dave has pointed out.

So, is your question answered?

Last edited by: Mic on March 11, 2018, 10:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.