Bell, Giro and the AR-15

March 1, 2018, 9 a.m.

Well, MEC is out too.  https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/open-letter-to-mec-members-from-ceo-david-labistour

Two weeks ago, 17 people lost their lives in a senseless and tragic school shooting in the U.S. The issue of gun violence and questions surrounding responsible gun use, ownership and manufacturing have made headlines around the world. While these issues are seemingly unrelated to MEC, it has recently come to light that several brands MEC sells are owned by a corporation that has holdings in the manufacture of assault-style weapons.

Thousands of MEC members have contacted us to express their concerns and to ask that we stop selling products made by these brands. We’ve also heard from members who believe that purchasing decisions like these should be left to individual consumers and that MEC should not get involved. The fact is, the debate has involved us and as a member-based organization we are compelled to respond.

Demonstrating leadership and leveraging the power of community, are among MEC’s core values. With this in mind, we have taken time to listen to our members’ views, consult internally and reach out to others in our industry. From what we’ve heard, we know that no decision we make will satisfy everyone. We are in the midst of a complex and highly charged debate with as many opinions as there are people expressing them.

My responsibility as CEO is to ensure that we make thoughtful, informed decisions in the best interest of our Co-op and effect change where this is possible and consistent with our presence in the marketplace.

After careful consideration, we have decided to:

Effective immediately, suspend any further orders with the five brands owned by Vista Outdoor which we carry (Bollé, Bushnell, CamelBak, Camp Chef, Jimmy Styks). Existing inventory will remain on our shelves until it has sold through.

Continue to engage with these brands as well our peers in the outdoor industry in North America in ways that are consistent with our mission and values. We welcome opportunities to engage with other organizations to help build consensus around the potential for constructive social impact related to purchasing.

Lean in further on the question of what corporate social responsibility means for MEC, widening our scope beyond environmental footprint and responsible sourcing to consider ownership structures.

On a very personal note, many of us come from parts of the world where we have witnessed the use and impact of guns first-hand. I include myself in that community. I have proudly served in the military and grew up in a rural area where hunting was commonplace. I can readily identify with our members who are on all sides of this debate. At the same time, my personal experience has taught me about the power of engagement. I believe that engagement is the path to change, as tough as it might be.

So, the questions before us are: what can a Canadian retail co-operative with more than five million members, a business that exists to get people active outdoors, do to effect positive change while continuing to ensure that we serve our members’ needs? At the same time, how do we act as a catalyst for this important debate while we maintain the integrity of our Co-op?

I hope that you will see that the decision we made today is balanced and considered and positions us to inspire a wider discussion throughout our industry and North America.

We appreciate your constructive and respectful dialogue on these important matters.

Yours sincerely,

David Labistour

March 1, 2018, 10:02 a.m.

Posted by: stinky_dan

Ah, I guess it makes it safer for ammo too.

One does one can. I'm sure one can source ammo arms length from teh NRA.

Last edited by: tungsten on March 1, 2018, 10:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 1, 2018, 10:18 a.m.

This boycott wont hurt the nra....probably only strengthen their grassroots support.

Oddly, Ann Coulter has an interesting, sobering commentary on what happened...I havent fact checked it, but it seems reasonable (I know, hard to believe, but take a look)

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2018-02-28.html

March 1, 2018, 11:17 a.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

This boycott wont hurt the nra....probably only strengthen their grassroots support.

Oddly, Ann Coulter has an interesting, sobering commentary on what happened...I havent fact checked it, but it seems reasonable (I know, hard to believe, but take a look)

Yeah it won't hurt them really I agree. It is the principal of not doing something that these boycotts are stemming from though. I look at it like recycling, my one blue bin won't make one lick of difference in the global environment but it's the principal of doing what I can to help the greater good.

March 1, 2018, 11:45 a.m.

Interesting point of view. But seriously, serif font?

March 1, 2018, 12:08 p.m.

If the society (notice I didn't say country) wants to truly affect change, they/we need to seriously address the root causes of mental illness and figure out how they/we have gone so far off the rails.

This shit didnt happen 50 years ago...but the guns were still there. why?

No matter the circumstance, my motto is never blame the tool or machine, rather the operator. We've developed a subculture of hopeless, desperate people. How do we turn that around? That is what we should be demanding answers to,, not going after makers of small arms who are only protecting their business interests. Guns will always have a place as a tool. Movies have made the black ones scary for non gun owners....its time we focus on repairing the operators, not the tools.

March 1, 2018, 12:51 p.m.

If the society (notice I didn't say country) wants to truly affect change, they/we need to seriously address the root causes of mental illness and figure out how they/we have gone so far off the rails.

No matter the circumstance, my motto is never blame the tool or machine, rather the operator. We've developed a subculture of hopeless, desperate people. How do we turn that around? That is what we should be demanding answers to,, not going after makers of small arms who are only protecting their business interests. Guns will always have a place as a tool. Movies have made the black ones scary for non gun owners....its time we focus on repairing the operators, not the tools.

There are twice as many guns in the US than there were in 1968 - 50 years ago. People with mental illness are no more likely than the general public to be violent, but they are over 10 times more likely to be the victims of violent crime. We have similar mental illness rates (in the US) to other industrialized/wealthy countries, but a gun violence rate that is 20 times higher. As for blaming the tool, I think it's fair to consider a tool with a single purpose (killing) being used properly (to kill) part of the problem.

March 1, 2018, 4:42 p.m.

Obviously it's silly to blame an inanimate object for doing something. 
But to use that as an argument about restricting this particular tool's usage is even more silly and extremely disingenuous.

It's harder and slower to address societal problems and mental health problems, it's certainly where money and effort should be focused.
However the impetus to do that compared to the NRA's resistance to any form of rational licensing shows an environment that is skewed in favour of allowing anybody access to tools designed to kill from distance and with violence of action and speed.

March 1, 2018, 4:57 p.m.

Blaming the availability of inanimate objects is obviously the wrong way to go. Luckily my history of violence, extremist rants and death threats on social media and ongoing psychiatric issues won't get in the way of me owning as much semtex as I want.

Last edited by: craw on March 1, 2018, 4:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 1, 2018, 6:04 p.m.

Wealth inequality would be number 1 in my books, followed close by the eroding of their education systemattack on education.

March 1, 2018, 7:57 p.m.

yup.

we also in this situation can,t penalize the child over the parents actions .

March 1, 2018, 8:26 p.m.

Funny how a child is a product of their parents and their surroundings.

It’s almost like both liberals and conservatives don’t know what they’re doing.

(Spoiler: no one does)

March 1, 2018, 8:26 p.m.

Well sheets if you're going to caulk it up to simply being mental illness then all Americans are sick.

“The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

― D.H. Lawrence

March 2, 2018, 10:32 a.m.

It's interesting that the subject of mental illness is brought into this debate, it again looks at blaming a condition for the societal problem. As a mental health professional, I have experienced people being a risk to themselves rather than people in the wider community. If you look at the statistics for homicide mental illness accounts for less than 10% of all homicides, so that means that 90% are committed by those who are not adjudged to be mentally ill. So it would appear that the highest causal factor is access to the means of death i.e. weapons. It suits the purpose of the vested interests to blame a factor outside of their industry. There has been a shift in the death industry to see individuals as unlucky collateral, if you look at modern warfare ideas there is an acceptance of collateral damage (dead civilians) as legitimate, weapons are sold under the concept of maximum damage for minimal effort, it's time we started to look at what kind of society we want to live in. Don't let the people in power divert this by seeking to blame the vulnerable in society.

March 2, 2018, 1:02 p.m.

Partial blame must be assigned to the pharmaceutical-industrial complex because ill or not, Americans are over medicated.

Last edited by: tungsten on March 2, 2018, 1:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.