Bell, Giro and the AR-15

Feb. 23, 2018, 12:25 p.m.

America.. only in America.... such a sad state of affairs.

Feb. 23, 2018, 1:09 p.m.

https://apnews.com/8f9b585f1a1f449ca36e4469566767ad/US-companies-distance-themselves-from-NRA-as-pressure-mounts

It would definitely help to email/call those brands mentioned above and explain why you're no longer purchasing anything they make.

A stock drop-off is one thing, but concrete evidence as to why it's happening is the thing that will instigate change at a corporate level.
 I hope.

Last edited by: DanL on Feb. 23, 2018, 2:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: feeling less salty than I was this morning
Feb. 23, 2018, 7:19 p.m.

FWIW, this moved me towards purchasing stuff from them. A lot (staggering amounts of well heeled rednecks) of people will think similarly, but not many will go voice it on a Canadian biking forum.

Feb. 23, 2018, 8:04 p.m.

The biggest thing I struggle with is how many of you are impacted by American's with guns?  Not gonna lie, in the the last year or two I've come to the conclusion I'd rather have a colonoscopy than travel to there (for that, and many other reasons).

I'm a little sad that people don't take the same interest in the politics that affect our daily lives here in our podunk backwater.

Feb. 23, 2018, 8:06 p.m.

Posted by: tehllama42

FWIW, this moved me towards purchasing stuff from them. A lot (staggering amounts of well heeled rednecks) of people will think similarly, but not many will go voice it on a Canadian biking forum.

Just joined the forum today? So these gun manufacturing NRA supporting dicks have paid u to post here? We mostly as a group think "FWIW" that the NRA can fucking rot in hell. So go piss off.

Its cute u r here all of a sudden trying to tell us different but the damage is just getting going...

http://www.bike-eu.com/sales-trends/nieuws/2017/2/shimano-says-goodbye-to-bell-and-giro-and-starts-lazer-distribution-10129131

Last edited by: bux-bux on Feb. 23, 2018, 8:21 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Feb. 23, 2018, 8:24 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Just joined the forum today?

umm if you look at their join date it's Feb 2017.  same day as you in fact

Last edited by: syncro on Feb. 23, 2018, 8:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 23, 2018, 8:40 p.m.

I like to think he edited his post to add more swear words.

Cheers Bux.

Now I miss the old up vote function.

It seems that with the NRA's responses on every forum being so cut and paste generic they would just use fucking bots. Guess hiring mouth breathers sitting in their Mom's basement in their underwear is cheaper?

Funny that these NRA online responses never remotely reflect anything you hear in person from a hunter/ gun enthusiast. 

Some statistics: 80% of gun owners are in favor of universal background checks. 9,000% of paid online spammers are against it.

Feb. 23, 2018, 8:49 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Just joined the forum today?

umm if you look at their join date it's Feb 2017.  same day as you in fact

You got me there, dyslexic after a few happy hour beverages. I have been here for a few years but couldnt login after the site revamp so set up a new account.

He can still piss off

Feb. 23, 2018, 8:51 p.m.

He can still piss off

lol -expected that

Feb. 24, 2018, 4:07 a.m.

http://www.bike-eu.com/sales-trends/nieuws/2017/2/shimano-says-goodbye-to-bell-and-giro-and-starts-lazer-distribution-10129131

Just read that - no reason whatsoever given as to the Why. 

Yesterday I posted the link to this thread on a Tcherman forum, a couple of users do not give a sh#t. 

Weird that so many people do not understand or want to see/understand the positive sides and an individual's power in today's age.

Feb. 24, 2018, 4:10 a.m.

So you think that it is ok for US primary school kids and teenagers to have to live in a country that is at times as dangerous when it comes to school shootings and/or rifle attacks as Afghanistan, Yemen and Pakistan?

Feb. 24, 2018, 7:39 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Just read that - no reason whatsoever given as to the Why. 

Yesterday I posted the link to this thread on a Tcherman forum, a couple of users do not give a sh#t. 

Weird that so many people do not understand or want to see/understand the positive sides and an individual's power in today's age.

That happened a year ago, I have no idea why they made that change but it would be remarkable if it were related to a shooting that was going to happen in the future.

Feb. 24, 2018, 8:58 a.m.

So you think that it is ok for US primary school kids and teenagers to have to live in a country that is at times as dangerous when it comes to school shootings and/or rifle attacks as Afghanistan, Yemen and Pakistan?

Being in the extreme minority of people who have spent time in both US primary schools and Afghan primary schools, the comparison is laughable, and I'd charitably describe that comparison as just ignorant at best. The AO we worked and lived out of (we inherited it from a British/Canadian coalition - those dudes are awesome) had a major feature - a primary school for girls, and it was the best Taliban magnet we had, because even those retards do manage to comprehend that literate girls become thoughtful and difficult to oppress women, which shuts off their supply to illiterate and easy to radicalize teenagers willing to blow themselves up inside a group of children...  Even a rudimentary understanding of statistics tells you how different an experience those two things are.

The notion that you would assume promptly that I'm a trogoldytic NRA shill is cute... People who own firearms are far more motivated than others to try and get this crap to stop happening (so that panic buys on materials, poorly crafted legislation, and other stupidity can stop affecting something we do predominately for fun). Even more so for individuals like me looking to find improvements to the education system at large (this is my dissertation topic), idiotic violence affecting schools will continue to force oversized and overfilled facilities for kids in order to amortize security and logistics costs instead of getting that focus onto delivering better educational content.

I'm here, happy to have intelligent discussion (I've been around NSMB since before the server migration, and I'm here because this is a nexus of useful and intelligent thought relating to how to set up and use mountain bikes that actually get ridden... If there isn't any hope of that then I'll spend my time elsewhere on the forum, or go back to refining giant tomes on how to apply modern model-based engineering methodologies to mountain bikes for fun.

Last edited by: tehllama42 on Feb. 24, 2018, 8:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 24, 2018, 9:33 a.m.

Being in the extreme minority of people who have spent time in both US primary schools and Afghan primary schools, the comparison is laughable, and I'd charitably describe that comparison as just ignorant at best. The AO we worked and lived out of (we inherited it from a British/Canadian coalition - those dudes are awesome) had a major feature - a primary school for girls, and it was the best Taliban magnet we had, because even those retards do manage to comprehend that literate girls become thoughtful and difficult to oppress women, which shuts off their supply to illiterate and easy to radicalize teenagers willing to blow themselves up inside a group of children... Even a rudimentary understanding of statistics tells you how different an experience those two things are.

The notion that you would assume promptly that I'm a trogoldytic NRA shill is cute... People who own firearms are far more motivated than others to try and get this crap to stop happening (so that panic buys on materials, poorly crafted legislation, and other stupidity can stop affecting something we do predominately for fun). Even more so for individuals like me looking to find improvements to the education system at large (this is my dissertation topic), idiotic violence affecting schools will continue to force oversized and overfilled facilities for kids in order to amortize security and logistics costs instead of getting that focus onto delivering better educational content.

I'm here, happy to have intelligent discussion (I've been around NSMB since before the server migration, and I'm here because this is a nexus of useful and intelligent thought relating to how to set up and use mountain bikes that actually get ridden... If there isn't any hope of that then I'll spend my time elsewhere on the forum, or go back to refining giant tomes on how to apply modern model-based engineering methodologies to mountain bikes for fun.

You mention a few good points, but similar to my rhetorical 'simplification' you step into that same trap - assuming that the majority of gun owners wants to stop crap like that happening, which implies a morally correct and responsible attitude and behaviour.

True, you might have spent time in both primary school systems in the US and Afghanistan. I can only rely upon stories, events and images from Afghan regugees and their parents which I teach at my secondary school over here. So the picture as a whole might not be that simple and cohesive as we both like it to be.

And concerning the NRA I can only say that any group of lobbyists that has such people publicly speaking and acting as Mrs Loesch for example is not a responsible group of citizens in a drmocratic state with the goal of making its society a better place to live, learn or be at peace, nor is such behaviour as it was shown in the wake of yet another mass shooting morally not correct imho.

Since you seem to have a background in efucation and pedagogy I assume you know what I mean?

And, imagine a school system that does not have to put up with all the connected costs of a privately-weaponized society (yes, gross oversimplification to illustrate a connection you made). Imagine the quality of a teacher's work, the work inside the classrooms, imagine the missing detectors, security forces etc.

Last edited by: Mic on Feb. 24, 2018, 9:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 24, 2018, 1:38 p.m.

(this is my dissertation topic)....go back to refining giant tomes on how to apply modern model-based engineering methodologies to mountain bikes for fun.

Didn't mean you specifically, apologies if it was taken as such.

But seriously, come clean. Nobody writes supercilious bullshit like that that's not living in their Mom's basement in their underwear. 😂

If you're going to repeat the NRA's demented mantras in the wake of a school shooting, you've got to know crap is falling your way.