BC XC tires

May 5, 2019, 7:36 a.m.

I'm doing the Nimby 50 later this month. This XC racing thing will be new for me, but XC around here is not your typical XC. What tire combos do people usually run?

I have a 2.3 DHR 2 in front, which is quite light for how much grip it provides. In back, I currently have a Maxxis Forekaster, but I find it feels a bit draggy. I am thinking 2.2 Ikon or Ardent Race. But what do those offer over a semi-slick like a Minion SS?

Last edited by: D_C_ on May 5, 2019, 7:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2019, 3:19 p.m.

Judging from what i saw at the BCBR, the Ikon or Ardent Race are pretty popular. So are schwalbe Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph and continental X-king. All of those roll much, much faster than a Minion SS and are also lighter.

Regarding the Ikon: The 2.35 size has much larger knobs than the 2.2. More trail tyre  than XC-race.

Last edited by: Timer on May 6, 2019, 11:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2019, 4:27 p.m.

I reckon it depends on your bike. You're not likely to get sendy enough on a shorter travel rig (Optic) compared to XCing a Range for example to justify a 1000g plus tire. I could drop 125g by switching from an SE4 in the rear to an XR4. Same rubber compound, thinner sidewalls. That's an avenue i'd consider for sure.

May 5, 2019, 8 p.m.

The bike’s a Devinci Django 29, 120 in back with a Fox 36 at 150. The bike will get Maxxis Exo sendy for sure, but I’ll save the Double Downs and CushCore for my Range 29.

Doing a bit more reading, it sounds like the main thing with using an aggressive semi-slick like a Minion SS for XC racing is that the side knobs contact the ground, which is the main reason they’re slower than, say, an Ikon.

Ended up ordering a 2.2 Ardent Race.

Last edited by: D_C_ on May 5, 2019, 8:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2019, 9:08 p.m.

Really happy with the Forekaster 2.35 up front with the Aspen 2.25 in the rear, both EXO on 30mm ID rims.

Plenty of tire for the NIMBY, pre-rode the course yesterday actually. Minion SS is pretty heavy I think (running one on my other bike).

Believe Kabush ran Aspens for the BC bike race last year, but put a Forekaster up front for the Squamish day

Last edited by: luckbox on May 5, 2019, 9:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 6, 2019, 12:10 a.m.

Posted by: Timer

Judging from what i saw at the BCBR, the Ikon or Ardent Race are pretty popular. So are schwalbe Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph and continental X-king. All of those roll much, much faster than a Minion SS and are also lighter.

Minion SS 765g (weighed), not bad really.

Ardent Race is a really excellent XC tire. Comes in EXO, and has a channel between center and side knobs, so you can get bite while leaned over. Significantly less bite than a proper heavy trail tire, but still very useable. 

Minion SS was about as fast in a straight line, but overall feels slower. Handles a downhill thrashing much better though.

Aggressor is a relatively fast rolling grippy tire too, not sure how technical your course is.

May 6, 2019, 10:28 a.m.

I just stick with 2.35 minion dhf's front and rear in EXO, tubeless of course. Rudy's/Overnight is pretty raw and rocky, and even the backside has it's moments, I'd rather take the marginal weight penalty in favour of a bit of extra traction and protection.

May 24, 2019, 11:39 a.m.

Last year I raced with 2.3 Minion DHFs front and rear... but I was on a single speed so rear wheel traction while standing was important.

This year I'm mechanical doping with everyone else and I've had a 2.6" Rekon on the back (which was pretty good at first, but I've flatted 3 times this year).  On Wednesday I realized it was bald and so I panic mounted a 2.6" Slaughter last night.  I'll let you know how it goes in the Nimby.  

The Slaughter is noticeably smaller than the Rekon.  2.41" vs. 2.54"

What tire did you end up choosing D_C_?   It would be interesting to compare our impressions with the damp weather.

May 25, 2019, 7:13 p.m.

Posted by: extraspecialandbitter

Last year I raced with 2.3 Minion DHFs front and rear... but I was on a single speed so rear wheel traction while standing was important.

This year I'm mechanical doping with everyone else and I've had a 2.6" Rekon on the back (which was pretty good at first, but I've flatted 3 times this year).  On Wednesday I realized it was bald and so I panic mounted a 2.6" Slaughter last night.  I'll let you know how it goes in the Nimby.  

The Slaughter is noticeably smaller than the Rekon.  2.41" vs. 2.54"

What tire did you end up choosing D_C_?   It would be interesting to compare our impressions with the damp weather.

Hey, nice meeting you!

I went with the 2.35 Ikon Exo in back. I was perfectly happy with the traction. I did puncture it on Rudy’s though, but Stan’s actually worked and sealed it up. I’ve been riding the tire on the Shore for the past couple of weeks and it is surprisingly capable. It’s also the biggest 2.35 I’ve seen.

Were you happy with the Slaughter?

May 26, 2019, 7:02 a.m.

The Icon is an impressive tire, has way more traction than it has any right to for something so fast.

May 26, 2019, 7:35 a.m.

I run Minion DHR ll front and rear on my BCXC bike right now. But I think I am going to switch back to a 2.3 Butcher Slaughter combo. Lighter faster rolling and love the way they work.

May 27, 2019, 2:08 p.m.

Currently running the 2.3 Butcher Slaughter combo on my 130mm trail bike. Fun, predictable, fast rolling and tough enough.

Funny enough, they came on my Specialized Enduro 29 and were just terrible on there, so I swapped them for some Butcher 2.6, which suit the bike much better.  On the smaller bike, they are fantastic.

Last edited by: rnayel on May 27, 2019, 4:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2019, 4:15 p.m.

2.6 XR5 in the front and 2.6 SE2 in the rear. 

Party traction in the front and party drifting in the rear. 

Climbing Nimby there were lots of people spinning on the wet roots and I felt like i had traction for days. I am a convert to the 29 x 2.6 for hardtailing, I can't see ever going back to anything smaller.

May 27, 2019, 5:30 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

2.6 XR5 in the front and 2.6 SE2 in the rear. 

Party traction in the front and party drifting in the rear. 

Climbing Nimby there were lots of people spinning on the wet roots and I felt like i had traction for days. I am a convert to the 29 x 2.6 for hardtailing, I can't see ever going back to anything smaller.

I feel the same. I have 2.6 se5/2.4 xr4 on my HT (don't think a 2.6 will fit in the rear unfortunately). 

The xr4 is insane. Better than the minion dhr2 maxterra on my full suspension bike.

I'm literally going to swap the DHR2 maxterra for an xr4 and I fully anticipate better traction in all but the loosest of trail surfaces.  Love the bontys.

May 29, 2019, 10:31 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

I am a convert to the 29 x 2.6 for hardtailing, I can't see ever going back to anything smaller.

I agree. The larger tires just absorb all the small trail chatter and it ends up being way faster on the trail.

I liked the 2.6 Slaughters. They aren't the lightest but they were fine. My problem on race day became my dropper. It wouldn't stay up at all on NIMBY and so I wasn't really paying attention to the tires. At the top of Nimby it started only sagging down an inch and not all the way, so that was better, but I was destroyed mentally and physically by that point so I sort of gave up. I knew it was a problem a month ago, but it's seized in my frame and seemed to be working enough that I didn't want to mess with it (idiot).

The Slaughters were pretty good in Whistler and on the shore as well. I've hit rim to rock a few times and I haven't flatted them (knock on wood). The casing seems more durable than the Maxxis, but time will tell.

Last edited by: extraspecialandbitter on May 29, 2019, 10:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.