B/B's: to thread or not to thread

June 14, 2014, 1:46 a.m.

Do press fit bb's at least have a steel sleeve in the shell that the bearings are installed to?

If not,id be hesitant to want a steel bearing pressed into an aluminum shell.

Because of expansion differences, or because it might seize in there?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 14, 2014, 6:11 a.m.

Because of expansion differences, or because it might seize in there?

No, because a steel bearing pressed into an aluminum pipe, that is loaded in all directions at different times and rates,might have a chance to stretch that pipe out and creak/loosen up.

Pastor of Muppets

June 14, 2014, 12:15 p.m.

What about suspension bearings?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 14, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

Basic question, how are threadless bbs executed in carbon frames then?

Bearing mated straight to carbon or some kind of machined insert with inner shoulders the bearing rides on?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 14, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

I meant rear suspension bearings that are pressed in.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 14, 2014, 12:34 p.m.

On my carbon road bike, the BB shell is metal.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 14, 2014, 3:18 p.m.

I meant rear suspension bearings that are pressed in.

yeah…what about them?

Different loads.

Pastor of Muppets

June 16, 2014, 9:39 p.m.

B/B related thread jack time.

I'm thinking about getting a Chris King BB, have a Shimano XT crankset on, but most likely will get a SRAM crankset in the future.

Do Shimano and SRAM cranks have a different crank spindle diameters? I recall the original CK BBs weren't SRAM compatible, website doesn't seem clear about it. Does the CK BB use a different BB installation tool?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 17, 2014, 7:02 a.m.

CK uses the same BB tool to install as the Shimanos.

I think Sram still uses a different diameter axle from everyone else. Shimano/RaceFace are cross compatible.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

June 17, 2014, 7:37 a.m.

No, because a steel bearing pressed into an aluminum pipe, that is loaded in all directions at different times and rates,might have a chance to stretch that pipe out and creak/loosen up.

Some are steel and some are aluminum. My Road bike is alu shell for the bearings and it creaks, grrrrr

June 17, 2014, 8:47 a.m.

B/B related thread jack time.

I'm thinking about getting a Chris King BB, have a Shimano XT crankset on, but most likely will get a SRAM crankset in the future.

Do Shimano and SRAM cranks have a different crank spindle diameters? I recall the original CK BBs weren't SRAM compatible, website doesn't seem clear about it. Does the CK BB use a different BB installation tool?

SRAM BBs have an insert on the drive side that steps down the ID, the crank then pinches the drive side bearing to hold it in place side to side. Not sure if the bearings themselves are different sizes or not

June 17, 2014, 1:13 p.m.

I think Sram still uses a different diameter axle from everyone else. Shimano/RaceFace are cross compatible.

except the Next cranks which are 30mm axle

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 17, 2014, 1:14 p.m.

From CK Site…

Compatible with most 24mm crank spindles, including; Shimano™ Hollowtech II, FSA™, RaceFace™, SRAM GXP™, Truvativ™ and Bontrager™ cranksets.

I guess I need to find out if the SRAM adaptor/spacer is included when you buy a BB.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 17, 2014, 3:23 p.m.

Basic question, how are threadless bbs executed in carbon frames then?

Bearing mated straight to carbon or some kind of machined insert with inner shoulders the bearing rides on?

My Pivot Mach 6 the BB bearings press directly into the carbon frame.

June 17, 2014, 6:32 p.m.

SRAM BBs have an insert on the drive side that steps down the ID, the crank then pinches the drive side bearing to hold it in place side to side. Not sure if the bearings themselves are different sizes or not

Internal measure of bearing for drive side for SRAM and SHimano is 24mm

Internal measure of bearing for non drive SHimano is 24mm- for SRAM is 22mm

On some BBs (ie Wheels Manufacturing) you can simply swap out non-drive side bearings and use the same BB for different cranks.