Bar tilt epiphany

Sept. 2, 2018, 6:39 p.m.

i've been riding mountain bikes for thirty years and have just had a revelation about the effect bar tilt has on climbing and cornering. My evil is the best cornering bike I have ever had and I just figured it was because it was full suspension and slacker than my Honzo. I tilted the bars forwards a bit to be more like my Honzo (more up sweep) and the bike became a totally different ride. Had to work twice as hard to lay it into hard turns but climbed better (like my honzo).

In any case, if any of you haven't figured this one out, let me save you the thirty or so years it took me to figure it out. When I get back to the island and ride my honzo again I will set the bar so the upsweep is just barely upward and then on a descent start rotating it forwards until the cornering starts to feel squirrely and then back it off a mm to the perfect balance between climbing beast and downhill destroyer.

Sept. 3, 2018, 10:14 p.m.

Nice one! I keep having epiphanies as well. I just had a few about flats vs. clipless, including how it affects suspension set up. 

My bar set up philosophy has always been to set the bars so the grip portion is parallel to the ground.  It sounds like you are close to that now.