Backpacks

March 15, 2023, 9:59 a.m.

Ditto tried a bunch of packs chose the Evoc with back protector. Osprey for smaller everyday packs was the winner.

I like the sensibility of throwing a Trail Shot or other micro filter in the pack.

Once hiked all the local mountains with a classic old Swedish explorer, claimed he only drank water directly out of streams his entire hiking life. Maybe he was indifferent to giardia. Gunther also only ate one plain meat sandwich for a day of hiking...

I guess at the top of the climb your chances of someone pooping in the stream are pretty slim. Bottom of the descent maybe suck it up through a trail shot. ←Auto -correct really wanted to change that to trail shit, must be in portent setting.

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 15, 2023, 10:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2023, 1:04 p.m.

. _   >

O =   O

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on March 15, 2023, 1:55 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 16, 2023, 10:43 a.m.

I watched a video yesterday (sorry I forget what/where/who) about proper way of dialing in a backpack for mtb and I think a lot of discomfort I've had in the past is because I've set it up poorly.  Haven't ridden with it dialed in differently yet but the take-away I got, and it seemed to be supported by messing around with the pack and wearing it around the house for a bit:

1. Put it on with all straps loose.

2. Snug up the waist strap.  You want 80% of the pack weight in this area (sort of like how a hip pack feels I guess?)

3. Tighten the shoulder straps only to the point it's not going to flop around.  But you want it loose enough to not limit your natural movement of your shoulders when mtbing.

4. Tighten the chest strap enough to make sure the shoulder straps stay in a comfortable part of your shoulders.

I traditionally did the waist strap last and not really snug enough that I was weighting the lower part of my back so much as the upper back neck area.  Which sucked ass.

March 16, 2023, 12:12 p.m.

back in the day I claimed it is important to size a pack

some jeff spicoli-esque character  on nsmb sez no you just buy a pack on-line

if you don't like it sell it on line, buy another one on-line

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 16, 2023, 12:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 16, 2023, 1:53 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

I watched a video yesterday (sorry I forget what/where/who) about proper way of dialing in a backpack for mtb and I think a lot of discomfort I've had in the past is because I've set it up poorly.  Haven't ridden with it dialed in differently yet but the take-away I got, and it seemed to be supported by messing around with the pack and wearing it around the house for a bit:

1. Put it on with all straps loose.

2. Snug up the waist strap.  You want 80% of the pack weight in this area (sort of like how a hip pack feels I guess?)

3. Tighten the shoulder straps only to the point it's not going to flop around.  But you want it loose enough to not limit your natural movement of your shoulders when mtbing.

4. Tighten the chest strap enough to make sure the shoulder straps stay in a comfortable part of your shoulders.

I traditionally did the waist strap last and not really snug enough that I was weighting the lower part of my back so much as the upper back neck area.  Which sucked ass.

Yes, like hiking setups - especially when you get to carrying 60lbs and up. It's all in the waist (unless it's a USWE pack) which is why I like the Evoc packs and bumbags as they have a wide waistband and well thought out velcro + buckle. 
However, if I'm climbing anything non technical, I loosen the shoulders completely and let the pack flap about off the waist. USWE are very liberating in that they have no waistband and it's all in the shoulder straps which I leave loose until it's go time.

March 17, 2023, 10:10 a.m.

Check out the FR Enduro Blackline: https://evocsports.ca/collections/protection-backpacks/products/fr-enduro-blackline

I tried on a bunch of packs and this was the most comfortable.  It's a bit heavy but there's a back protector which I like and it has lots of room for all the tools, water, and clothes.

March 17, 2023, 4 p.m.

I’ve been carrying and adjusting hiking packs properly since I was 10, can’t believe I don’t clue in that I’ve been doing my camelback backwards for the last 20 years until I read this thread.

I gotta try this, maybe I’ll save myself a USWE purchase!

Last edited by: tashi on March 17, 2023, 4 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 2, 2023, 7:26 a.m.

I predict for 2023 backpacks are making a comeback over the hip-pack.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

I don't wear either unless something really unusual is happening. Backpacks are definitely not going to make a come back in my world. I carry everything I need on the bike.

April 2, 2023, 8:49 a.m.

A lot depends on torso length. For packs that are actually loaded up and larger than 25L or so, I need a pack that has torso length/yoke adjustment as I have a really long torso, or the weight distribution will never be right.

"Fitting" a pack with strap adjustment only is a crapshoot and largely relies on if your torso length happens to be in a happy range for the dimensions of that particular pack. They usually aren't, and half an inch can make a big difference.

I have a mystery ranch scree that gets rolled out for multi day chilcotins type scenarios. It's a little heavier than a biking specific pack, but it's actually built with load carrying in mind. Adjustable, easy to live out of, and indestructible.

Last edited by: Kenny on April 2, 2023, 8:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 4, 2023, 7:40 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I predict for 2023 backpacks are making a comeback over the hip-pack.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

I don't wear either unless something really unusual is happening. Backpacks are definitely not going to make a come back in my world. I carry everything I need on the bike.

I think that will be the dividing line for most: those who love strapping tons of stuff to their bikes vs those who don't. I really enjoy not having anything on my back but so far that minor plus has come with a ton of negatives that just aren't worth it for me.

April 4, 2023, 8:16 a.m.

Posted by: Kever

Check out the FR Enduro Blackline: https://evocsports.ca/collections/protection-backpacks/products/fr-enduro-blackline

I tried on a bunch of packs and this was the most comfortable.  It's a bit heavy but there's a back protector which I like and it has lots of room for all the tools, water, and clothes.

An older version of this is what I use for all day/multi day rides (Chilcotins etc). Otherwise, any ride under 3 hours it’s just a water bottle on my bike, OneUp pump/tool and snacks in the pocket. 

I recently picked up an EVOC vest (Hydro Pro) however. Used it for a bunch of trail runs but not much biking yet. Hoping it’s gonna be a happy medium for the 4-6 hour rides

April 6, 2023, 5:28 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I simply use whatever makes sense for the ride plan.

I always have a water bottle on my bike because why not? Does anyone really notice the difference between a full and an empty water bottle on their bike?

On my back:

Shorter local rides (= most rides): minimalistic 1L Evoc hip pouch for tools, tube, pump, wallet, keys, phone, energy bar.

Medium length rides or unknown trails = Osprey Raptor 14 (still using the one I reviewed) for more water, food, layers.

All day big mountain adventures = big Camelbak Mule or Kudu pack with 3 L water and lots of food, layers, spares, first aid etc.

This! I don't get the trench warfare between "backpack riders" and "hipback riders". All packs have their place and using only one type for all my riding would be impractical.

PS: Seeing how many people use the EVOC packs with back protectors, i'm not surprised about complaints that backpacks are too hot. While the Evoc packs sit snugly and are well made, they are  by far the hottest packs i ever tried. And they are heavy, even unloaded.

Last edited by: Timer on April 6, 2023, 5:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 6, 2023, 6:32 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I think that will be the dividing line for most: those who love strapping tons of stuff to their bikes vs those who don't. 

For sure. You have to decide what you like better strapping tons of stuff to your bike or strapping tons of stuff to your body. No wrong answer if it makes you happy.

April 6, 2023, 8:59 a.m.

Totally forgot my other backpack - it's as bad as saddles or gloves for me - I managed to snag a Mission Hauser 10L for a very good price and the reason I bring it up is that it's got adjustable height strapping which really helps with torso length - there's three different heights to attach to the back straps to. The rest of the bag is bulletproof, waterproof, has an abundance of well thought out strapping sections and pockets. Worth keeping your eyes open for deals on these as it's now my go-to snow sports or wet weather pack for single days.

April 6, 2023, 10:04 a.m.

The cool thing about those dakines is the big expandable mesh that will hold a jacket/ full face helmet & padz all at once

back back in the day shop bro talked the Dakine rep into selling us an (150 $ MSRP) Nomad and an Apex for 30 $ each,

upon hearing we drove to vegas he was giving us the 2900km discount, but obviously he was just short of cash

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 6, 2023, 10:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.