Backpacks

March 13, 2023, 3:26 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Police sketch on shrooms. Bike is a figment of your imagination.

LOL

March 14, 2023, 8:11 a.m.

Super local (i.e. the woods behind my house) - Bottle on bike, phone in pocket.  I can walk home in an hour or so worst case. Might get a OneUp EDC Lite so i can adjust things if need be.

Local (out for 2-3 hours) - Dakine Hotlaps 5 with tools/spares/snack, tube on bike, bottle on bike.

Winter Nightride - Evoc FR Enduro 16 back pack mainly to house the emotional support jacket, beanie hat, spare gloves and batteries.

Big Day out - Evoc with water along with bottle on bike.  

Most rides with the kids - Evoc filled with haribo.

I defo prefer to ride without a backpack but sometimes needs must.  The Evoc is a bit sweaty but it is a proper back protector too which is nice.

March 14, 2023, 8:48 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I simply use whatever makes sense for the ride plan.

Yup. For most 1up 1 down rides I use an USWE Airborne 3L volume pack. It's just big enough to carry the essentials and it has an external pouch that can be removed if you need less space. The pack will take a 2L bladder for water. The best things about the USWE packs is they don't bounce around, their NDM - No Dancing Monkey design works like a charm. 

The Airborne 3L Race Edition is on sale right now and they have a few other models with different features based on the same design. 

https://uswe.com/en-ca/hydration-pack-airborne-3-race-edition

March 14, 2023, 9:47 a.m.

I really like the USWE packs - the 'patriot' has become my go to for a day out as it's got a backplate, straps and the helmet holder/pad stasher. If it's any kind of normal 1-3hr dadlap the Evoc hip pro 3 holds a ton of things and is the best bumbag I've worn yet.
One thing that really helps is hot swappable things like first aid packs which just slot in and out, whistle, tools in one area, but I often double up a few things.

March 14, 2023, 12:36 p.m.

Thing is with back packs or waist packs, is that they are never ever as comfortable as no pack. People will say that a pack makes them sweat. That’s a myth. Going hard makes you sweat. That pack prevents evaporation. Having a variety of storage things for various longer or shorter rides, or rides where weather means you might need a layer or lose a layer will dictate what to carry your stuff in. There are also back protector packs. For me, I wear my Chase Protector pack for longer rides or stupid shit, bigger bum bag when I’m not needing lots of water or protection and a race belt for shorter rides. I also have an MSR Trailshot filter for longer rides where I know there is water which negates the need for a large pack with a big heavy bladder.

March 14, 2023, 12:54 p.m.

Well IME I don't want to be underpacked, I have always thot of mtn biking as sweaty/ dusty/ dirty and I might go down so don't forget those elbow & knee pads and of course the gloves.

Some folks don't wear pads cuz its too hot I don't know how they keep from falling when its hot ?

March 14, 2023, 1:05 p.m.

"1-3hr dadlap"  <-- I love it.  That describes 99% of my rides and I've got 3 kids to prove it.

So, back protector packs.  What's comfortable and with a pack that holds somewhere between 15 and 20 L and is set up for bladders?

I think with my 12L pack what bugs me more is the size puts a lot of pressure in a small area.  Something that spreads the load out would be cool.

March 14, 2023, 1:14 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: [email protected]

I simply use whatever makes sense for the ride plan.

Yup. For most 1up 1 down rides I use an USWE Airborne 3L volume pack. It's just big enough to carry the essentials and it has an external pouch that can be removed if you need less space. The pack will take a 2L bladder for water. The best things about the USWE packs is they don't bounce around, their NDM - No Dancing Monkey design works like a charm. 

The Airborne 3L Race Edition is on sale right now and they have a few other models with different features based on the same design. 

https://uswe.com/en-ca/hydration-pack-airborne-3-race-edition

Dang, that’s a nice price, ima have to buy one of those finally for dog rides.  Thanks for sharing.

March 14, 2023, 1:24 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Cool. Shoreboy, what kind of pack do you use? Both of my packs are Deuter and the larger of the two is a TransAlpine 32 and is actually the more comfortable of the two although it's sort of heavy (even without anything in it lol.)  The smaller one is the Race X I believe and is the one I've used most over the years. The built in rain covers are handy AF.

Same as Craw above. Osprey Raptor 14. My wife has the same one as well. Carries 3L bladder, small first aid pack, pump, tools, extra layer, food etc.  Its definitely a light pack on its own, but will definitely carry all that you need for a bigger day. I noticed the Last Hunt has them on sale for a pretty good deal right now too.

https://www.thelasthunt.com/products/osprey-raptor-14l-backpack-llll-osp-rapt1457#?style=Cedar%20Green

If you add the code 'mystery15' it will give you another discount bringing it down to close to 50% off. Looks like these ones come with a 2.5L bladder, which would be fine with me.

That's a great pack for a great price. Thanks!

March 14, 2023, 7:33 p.m.

"1-3hr dadlap" <-- I love it. That describes 99% of my rides and I've got 3 kids to prove it.

So, back protector packs. What's comfortable and with a pack that holds somewhere between 15 and 20 L and is set up for bladders?

I think with my 12L pack what bugs me more is the size puts a lot of pressure in a small area. Something that spreads the load out would be cool.

I have the Camelbak Chase Protector and find it’s very good. Not a huge volume in the main compartment though but it has vest like pockets which I really like. I have a Black Diamond 22 litre ski vest/pack that is really good as well as a Black Diamond running/light alpine vest pack too. I think my Distance 8 would be ok for riding too but it rides a bit high and might interfere with a helmet. There is a Distance 15 too I think.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on March 14, 2023, 7:38 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 15, 2023, 4:44 a.m.

"1-3hr dadlap"  <-- I love it.  That describes 99% of my rides and I've got 3 kids to prove it.

So, back protector packs.  What's comfortable and with a pack that holds somewhere between 15 and 20 L and is set up for bladders?

I think with my 12L pack what bugs me more is the size puts a lot of pressure in a small area.  Something that spreads the load out would be cool.

When I have to go full Dad-bag I use my big EVOC pack, it regularly gets all the jackets shoved in it and it holds it shape very well.

It's this on: https://www.evocsports.com/FR-ENDURO-BLACKLINE-16/100106100-S

I also looked at their Trail Pro 16 too which looks awesome (better hip pockets etc) but i decided I needed a full face carry which actually did come i very handy last summer.

My kids are getting bigger so they can soon carry their own stuff, Thank Dog!

March 15, 2023, 4:44 a.m.

When I have to go full Dad-bag I use my big EVOC pack, it regularly gets all the jackets shoved in it and it holds it shape very well.

It's this on: https://www.evocsports.com/FR-ENDURO-BLACKLINE-16/100106100-S

I also looked at their Trail Pro 16 too which looks awesome (better hip pockets etc) but i decided I needed a full face carry which actually did come i very handy last summer.

My kids are getting bigger so they can soon carry their own stuff, Thank Dog!

March 15, 2023, 6:03 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Dang, that’s a nice price, ima have to buy one of those finally for dog rides.  Thanks for sharing.

No worries, I'm happy to spread the wealth where I can.

March 15, 2023, 7:08 a.m.

"1-3hr dadlap" <-- I love it. That describes 99% of my rides and I've got 3 kids to prove it.

So, back protector packs. What's comfortable and with a pack that holds somewhere between 15 and 20 L and is set up for bladders?

I think with my 12L pack what bugs me more is the size puts a lot of pressure in a small area. Something that spreads the load out would be cool.

Would definitely look at evoc, I have an old fr enduro-somethingsomething that's 20l and carrys a lot of stuff well, their big over lap style waist strap is comfy and seems to keep it from bouncing around too much, the back protector seems good.

I've never gotten into hip packs, feels weird that something that has caught on for so many riders just doesn't click for me. I found it felt weird on my waist, and can only carry a couple things. I'm basically all or nothing, either a huge pack with the kitchen sink or nothing but a water bottle, one up edc pump+tools, and maybe spare tube strapped on the bike.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on March 15, 2023, 7:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2023, 9:27 a.m.

When it is 'pack everyone else's jackets, gloves, hats, haribos, goggles, clif bars, socks, hairbands, more gloves day' i.e. a family day snowboarding/slkiiing/hiking I'll take my Evoc FR trail 20l - what really distinguishes it for me is the excellent waist strap, so I can have that cinched fairly tight but have the shoulder straps completely loose to let the weight fall to my hips not my back. When it's time to go down or something requiring a solid core, tighten it all up. The pack is built well so that all of these functions can be done easily and with little friction or faff.
One other thing I found for me about bumbags is to have the belt and pack above the waistline so that it sits in the small of the back instead of hanging down over the buttockial area.  
Evoc, Deuter and Osprey have been consistently excellent in their design and function, and though you do see it in the sticker price, I'm not going to be replacing them until they absolutely die.