Backpacks

March 9, 2023, 12:42 p.m.

I predict for 2023 backpacks are making a comeback over the hip-pack.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Jazz-cat.  Horn-dog.

March 9, 2023, 1:07 p.m.

I sure hope so, that way I can continue to wear my pack without the shame of not being in the bum bag crew.

March 9, 2023, 1:18 p.m.

I'm pretty sure the right people will continue to not wear riding Packs

personaly on an E bike it doesnt matter

I'm still rocking a Dakine Apex, looks like new a great product,

got it cheap cuz the Dakine rep was selling them off to pocket the money

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 9, 2023, 1:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 9, 2023, 3:09 p.m.

And I have the right to change my mind in the scorching summer months where I will return to hip pack and hope to fuck I don't have a major mechanical in the middle of nowhere. ;)

March 9, 2023, 3:39 p.m.

I bought a brand new Evoc hydro pack last year for a couple long day trip rides. Set it up with all the gear in the garage, rode around the block a couple times, immediately stripped everything and set up the hip bag again. It is just way too hot for me now.

Forgot to return it so now it just sits in the closet with the tags on :/

March 9, 2023, 4:40 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I bought a brand new Evoc hydro pack last year for a couple long day trip rides. Set it up with all the gear in the garage, rode around the block a couple times, immediately stripped everything and set up the hip bag again. It is just way too hot for me now.

Yeah, I am with you on having water on my back.  I assume part of your hate on is because of the water bladder?  I like my water weight as much on my bike as possible.  Even in my hippack which holds 1 or two bottles isn't fun.

March 9, 2023, 6:05 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Yeah, I am with you on having water on my back.  I assume part of your hate on is because of the water bladder?  I like my water weight as much on my bike as possible.  Even in my hippack which holds 1 or two bottles isn't fun.

I would be the exact opposite of this. I want no extra weight on my bike, id prefer to carry it on my body. Do I notice the 3L of water weight on my back? No, not really. Would I notice 2L in bottles on my bike? Most definitely. Granted packs are hot, but I have ridden with one for so long now, it doesnt feel right without one there. I can carry all my tools, water, food and the extra protection for your back and sides is an extra bonus.

March 9, 2023, 6:43 p.m.

Interesting. Now that I think of it I can kind of see where you’re coming from.

March 9, 2023, 7:19 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

I would be the exact opposite of this. I want no extra weight on my bike, id prefer to carry it on my body. Do I notice the 3L of water weight on my back? No, not really. Would I notice 2L in bottles on my bike? Most definitely. Granted packs are hot, but I have ridden with one for so long now, it doesnt feel right without one there. I can carry all my tools, water, food and the extra protection for your back and sides is an extra bonus.

I thot this ^^ concept would be obvious ?

March 9, 2023, 8:34 p.m.

I ride with a Camelbak HAWG. It's fairly heavy with all the stuff I carry, but I like the back protection.

March 9, 2023, 10:19 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: shoreboy

I thot this ^^ concept would be obvious ?

I also thought this concept is obvious, yet people cant seem to find enough way to strap extra stuff on their frames. SWAT boxes, gear straps, water bottles, frame bags. Each to their own I guess.

March 10, 2023, 9:29 a.m.

So on a big ride in the summer you guys wear a hydration pack with tools and don't put anything on the bike?  Or do you balance things out more and put at least a water bottle on the frame and some tools and stuff in a small frame bag like I do?  I generally try to keep my pack somewhat light if possible.  It all depends I guess.  I guess I see you're point though on bike handling and not putting too much stuff on the bike itself.  Makes sense.

March 10, 2023, 10:25 a.m.

So on a big ride in the summer you guys wear a hydration pack with tools and don't put anything on the bike? Or do you balance things out more and put at least a water bottle on the frame and some tools and stuff in a small frame bag like I do? I generally try to keep my pack somewhat light if possible. It all depends I guess. I guess I see you're point though on bike handling and not putting too much stuff on the bike itself. Makes sense.

If its a really big ride, ill put a water bottle of some kind of concentrated sports drink on the bike to help keep the electrolytes up. Apart from that, I dont keep anything on the bike, its all in the pack including water. Tools/First Aid all have their place in the pack, so they all go on every ride with me.

Last edited by: shoreboy on March 10, 2023, 10:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 10, 2023, 10:37 a.m.

I have an Osprey Raptor 14 that's hard to beat. It's light, full of great features and stays in place really well. It's light and very compressible so it works on days where I'm not carrying much. It's also surprisingly roomy when pushed so if I need to carry more food and a jacket it still works well. I haven't tried anything else that even comes close. It also comes in two sizes; the long version is long enough that the waist band actually goes around my waist and not my ribs, which is nice.

I tried an Evoc hip pack pro for a while. I absolutely love the overlapping velcro waistband. 100% improvement over having a big buckle right where you're leaning over. But it's basically impossible to get a water bottle back into the slots while riding, which totally sucks. It also generally works poorly when maximally loaded, but that's true of any hip pack. I really like the look of the Evoc hip pouch pro, which keeps the velcro waist band but adds a more supported water bottle slot. I think this will be the sweet spot for me for shorter rides.

Last edited by: craw on March 10, 2023, 10:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 10, 2023, 10:38 a.m.

Cool. Shoreboy, what kind of pack do you use? Both of my packs are Deuter and the larger of the two is a TransAlpine 32 and is actually the more comfortable of the two although it's sort of heavy (even without anything in it lol.)  The smaller one is the Race X I believe and is the one I've used most over the years. The built in rain covers are handy AF.

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on March 10, 2023, 10:55 a.m., edited 2 times in total.