Avid / Shimano bleed syringe fittings kit compatibility

Aug. 4, 2013, 9:45 p.m.

Are these compatible at all? Looking to get a pro set of good quality syringes but I can only find the avid type. Will it work with my shimano zees?

Thanks

Aug. 4, 2013, 10:25 p.m.

Hell no…. Not even close….

Aug. 4, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

aight can you recommend some quality syringes or can I get the fittings separately?

Aug. 4, 2013, 10:57 p.m.

Barnzorz has spoken

Aug. 4, 2013, 11 p.m.

I feel like im stating the obvious, but the actual Shimano bleed kit is the best.

You dont want a kit where you simply switch fittings. That would mean you would be using the same syringes between the two brake systems. Its not a good idea. Mineral oil vs. DOT fluid. Use separate syringes.

Besides, in case you didnt know, the shimano bleed process requires no special fittings besides a handy little plastic overflow bleed cup (thats what i call it anyways..). The one syringe used in bleeding shimano brakes needs only a flexible hose to press on to the bleed nipple.

Buy a shimano bleed kit, buy a sram bleed kit. Its what your local bike shop uses for a reason, and they arent all that expensive.

I bought a Jagwire universal bleed kit from Pricepoint.com that include nearly every fitting for any brand of brake. I really only got it in case I need to bleed an older brake with less common fittings (magura, hayes, really old Hopes). I havent used it much, the fittings are not made very well, and the syringes suck. But really, im glad that I own it, and im glad it cost less than $30.

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:06 p.m.

yeah for sure i dont want to mix different fluids -- that's actually the real reason i'm shopping for a new bleed kit. i have a standard nonpro avid kit already and the hoses suck, so i'm trying to avoid getting a kit with shitty syringes, that's why im asking.

so if all i need is a flexible hose to press to the nipple, i can just get this, right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D9W6D3E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8[HTML_REMOVED]psc=1[HTML_REMOVED]smid=A13YAFKPJKQI83

Aug. 5, 2013, 8:09 a.m.

Using the Shimano bleed kit works OK but can still leave some air in the system in the form of very small bubbles. I use Avid syringes but had to find different bleed fittings to adapt to Shimano. IIRC they're from Formula but they might have different kinds also.

Friends always mention how firm my brakes feel compared to theirs.

Aug. 5, 2013, 8:57 a.m.

so if all i need is a flexible hose to press to the nipple, i can just get this, right

If you just push the hose on the bleed nipple you can easily get air into the system unless you have a clamp to keep it tight.

If you get good, sealed syringes/hoses/fittings and follow the Avid bleed instructions you can do a good vacuum bleed and have even better feeling Shimano brakes. I do the initial flush with the Shimano kit then hit it with a vacuum bleed.

This looks like a decent kit:

ebay kit

The syringe fittings are the quick connect type so I'd be tempted to glue them in but it should work well overall.

Aug. 5, 2013, 4:13 p.m.

Barnzorz has spoken

You damn right…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvqYYJSv3I

But hey, if you wanna bleed your Shimano brake with Avid bleed fittings, go right ahead…
I'm against a lot of things that are propriatary, but brakes, you probably shouldn't f*ck with that….

Aug. 5, 2013, 4:37 p.m.

This looks like a decent kit:

ebay kit

The syringe fittings are the quick connect type so I'd be tempted to glue them in but it should work well overall.

Same idea,

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/

Grabbed the one for Hope. No issue with the fitting. One important thing with this as they mention on their site. They recommend that you fabricate a block to fit in the calliper once you remove the pads and such. Made mine out of old plastic card used for such things as Home Depot gift cards. That way when you push the fluid through you don't push out the pistons. And it has to be in there pretty tight.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 5, 2013, 10:58 p.m.

Same idea,

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/

Grabbed the one for Hope. No issue with the fitting. One important thing with this as they mention on their site. They recommend that you fabricate a block to fit in the calliper once you remove the pads and such. Made mine out of old plastic card used for such things as Home Depot gift cards. That way when you push the fluid through you don't push out the pistons. And it has to be in there pretty tight.

Shimano sends these bleed blocks with their brakes. I have a bunch of them in my shop and they're invaluable for a good bleed.

Also, the Park PP-1.2 is a great tool for working on brakes.