Avalanche upgrade for Pike

March 15, 2014, 2:34 p.m.

Just saw over on Bike Rumor that Avalanche has Pike upgrades available now. Linky.

I know there's a few Avy users on the board that swear up and down that it's the best upgrade they've ever done to their forks. I view that sort of feedback with less skepticism than massive marketing campaigns or vacuous articles written about the next best thing, like in my other thread over here

So, being that I have a Pike, I would rather spend $200 on an upgrade that may or may not make a difference, instead of $1,200 on a new fork that may or may not be as good as everyone says. Anyone care to offer their experiences with Avalanche stuff? I see their site has a "rider level" selector. Beginner, Sport, Expert, Semi/Ex Pro, or Pro. If I'm honest with myself, I'm pretty square in the Sport category. Is it even worth considering the upgrade? I'm looking at the Charger upgrade and not the entire open bath system…

Thanks all!

Ride, don't slide.

March 15, 2014, 3:01 p.m.

Sportish level rider here. Getting a little slower as mid life creeps in.

Have the Avy cartridge in a 2010 boxxer. Definitely a big improvement over the stock internals. Originally came over damped for my slowish speeds but I think I have it pretty much sorted now. Easy to reshim and rebuild. No plans on upgrading it any time soon.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

March 16, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

I have no riding time on an Avalanche tuned Pike.
Just on a regular PIKE RC - and the Avalanche upgrade sounds great.

I´d definitely consider it at some point BUT:

I feel the Pike works very, very good already. If you don´t have money to burn, why don´t wait till your Pike needs a service anyway?

You´ll save a chunk of cash and a proper serviced fork feels always best ;-)

If your PIKE is already due for a service - DO it.
And tell me afterwards if it was worthwile…

March 16, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

I feel the Pike works very, very good already. If you don´t have money to burn, why don´t wait till your Pike needs a service anyway?

You´ll save a chunk of cash and a proper serviced fork feels always best ;-)

If your PIKE is already due for a service - DO it.
And tell me afterwards if it was worthwile…

+1 - that's my plan. Got a new bike coming with a Float X and Pike. I'll send the Float X to Avy at the end of the summer and then do the Pike next if I feel it needs it.

A custom Avy rebuild of my Nomad's shock made the bike 100% better. No regrets there.

March 17, 2014, 2:07 p.m.

Is it even worth considering the upgrade?

what are you aiming to improve with the upgrade?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 17, 2014, 7:50 p.m.

what are you aiming to improve with the upgrade?

To be 100% honest: I have no idea.

I'm a pretty rudimentary suspension user, I never use the lock out function, and barely even the trail function. That being said, it seems to be a good idea to offer a bit more external tuning options instead of a lock out function.

The Pike is the best feeling fork I've ever used, so maybe I should try to cure my upgradeitis before I spend money on something that won't really make any difference for me…

Ride, don't slide.

March 17, 2014, 9:52 p.m.

The Pike is the best feeling fork I've ever used, so maybe I should try to cure my upgradeitis before I spend money on something that won't really make any difference for me…

you think?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 17, 2014, 10:51 p.m.

If you classify yourself in the "sport"category according to your little chart above, and really don't understand or tune you fork currently, then you won't appreciate the difference.

Save your money and spend it on riding lessons that will up your skill level.

March 18, 2014, 7:12 a.m.

If you classify yourself in the "sport"category according to your little chart above, and really don't understand or tune you fork currently, then you won't appreciate the difference.

+1 - take your bike to a suspension expert and get it tuned for you in it's current configuration. Write down those settings and see what happens.

Most riders are on FS bikes that are not performing to their potential due to poor setup. At least based on the sample of bikes that I come across.

March 18, 2014, 8:17 a.m.

+1 - take your bike to a suspension expert and get it tuned for you in it's current configuration. Write down those settings and see what happens.

Most riders are on FS bikes that are not performing to their potential due to poor setup. At least based on the sample of bikes that I come across.

+1 again. Go spend some time with Arthur at Suspension Therapy. You'd be surprised at home much better your bike can feel. Plus you'll have a starting point for a more scientific understanding of how your gear feels. Chances are your bike's performance can be improved a lot.

The Pike is an awesome fork out of the box. I've had mine since last summer and I'm still experimenting with it. I've had it serviced once, put both volume spacers in and extended the travel to 160. I'm still messing with it.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 18, 2014, 9:03 a.m.

+1 again. Go spend some time with Arthur at Suspension Therapy. You'd be surprised at home much better your bike can feel. Plus you'll have a starting point for a more scientific understanding of how your gear feels. Chances are your bike's performance can be improved a lot.

The Pike is an awesome fork out of the box. I've had mine since last summer and I'm still experimenting with it. I've had it serviced once, put both volume spacers in and extended the travel to 160. I'm still messing with it.

Did you have to buy new parts for the travel change?
I have mine at 150mm right now and wouldn't mind testing it at 160mm…

March 18, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

Did you have to buy new parts for the travel change?
I have mine at 150mm right now and wouldn't mind testing it at 160mm…

Yup. It was an air sleeve or something. I paid around $70 for parts and labour, and had the two volume reducers put in. Plus I got a servicing which was nice since the fork was only a few months old and I wanted to make sure everything was cool as far as fluid levels and whatnot.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 18, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

Cool, thanks.

I might just buy a proper park-bike instead :deadhorse:

Not having a gf/wife anymore kind of inspires to fulfill some long dreamed wishes. :grinno:

March 18, 2014, 3 p.m.

So, being that I have a Pike, I would rather spend $200 on an upgrade that may or may not make a difference, instead of $1,200 on a new fork that may or may not be as good as everyone says. Anyone care to offer their experiences with Avalanche stuff? I see their site has a "rider level" selector. Beginner, Sport, Expert, Semi/Ex Pro, or Pro. If I'm honest with myself, I'm pretty square in the Sport category. Is it even worth considering the upgrade? I'm looking at the Charger upgrade and not the entire open bath system…

Thanks all!

I think the 'rider level' is more or less how aggressive they tune the kit for you. Send an email to them and it'll be a quick reply.

As for is it worth it: I'll just say yes without riding it. My experience each time with Avalanche has been what I wanted. Send a part away, get the same yet better functioning part back. You smile before you ride just by how the compression feels in the driveway. You literally dont have to adjust it, just install and ride (least for the rear shocks. Use the right oil weight if you're doing your own fork).

I'd honestly do it before the summer but thats me and as most of the board knows given some thread I started, I love me my Avalanche stuff.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

March 18, 2014, 3:04 p.m.

I'll slightly disagree. Just b/c he thinks he's a sport, doesnt mean he is. Sometimes, the equipment holds the rider/driver back and gives them a false sense of skill level when its just mal-adjusted and not performing properly.

Similar to auto-crossing on uhp summers/stock suspension and then moving to track specific tire and suspension setup. Same driver, most likely a better result.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs