Avalanche DHS shocks

March 13, 2008, 8:39 p.m.

are Avalanche DHS shocks still sought after? I just found the one off of my Super 8 and don't know if I should try and sell it or keep it as an antique

With the new breed of shocks available, are these still relevent?

March 13, 2008, 11:17 p.m.

Knowing avalanche its probably still in perfect working order even after several years.

You don't hear much about them these days because Fox, Marz etc have stepped up their game. Back when I had a super8 we got so fed up sending our Vanilla RCs in to get fixed we spent the cash ($550 at 1.60 exchange) to upgrade to the DHS. Best decision I ever made.

When I stepped up to the V10 I had an avy on there within a month. That same shock got switched over to my new V10 when I upgraded to the newer version. All it needed was a re-valve and it was still perfect after 4 yrs.

So to answer your question - try it out, and hopefully it will work for you. The only downside to Avy is they are custom tuned for your weight and riding style. If the person you bought the bike from is much different from you, it will probably need to be re-valved ($75-100US plus return shipping). But that should be the only cost you face til you put it on your next bike. Sorry one more downside - they're heavier than most other shocks and have no lockout/limited adjustability, but by far make up for it by being the plushest, most consistent ride you will ever experience. Best on an all-out DH bike than AM in my opinion.

March 13, 2008, 11:26 p.m.

Your Avy is very much likely still good. Maybe needing a nitro recharge after the downtime? But you can do that at any MX shop.

You can upgrade your older shock single compression adjustment to the new hi/low dual compression, and it will feel better than anything else out there now.

Avy is all I run for rears.
Have done everything else, and everything else eventually dies a horrible messy, clunky, death. The Avys just keep going and going and going…
Well worth the initial cost.

What's the e2e and stroke of yours, and what do you want for it? Ti or steel spring?

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

March 14, 2008, 8:07 a.m.

I bet it's still good for sure…

Man do I love my new Avy monotube shock…:drool:

Never going back to the big shock companies, plus Avy is located one state away from me. Nice to support the local little guys.

March 14, 2008, 8:49 a.m.

That Avi is probably better than most stuff on the market. You definitely don't need all the bells and whistles to make a good shock.

March 14, 2008, 11:23 a.m.

I think I have found all the wisemen on this site all in one thread. AVY is the shit. Super plush custom tuned what more would one want. I bet you can't find anyone who has a complaint about the performance of an avy shock and were not talking about weight weenies.

March 14, 2008, 12:19 p.m.

Avy or Cane Creek Double Barrel ARE the sh*tniz ;)

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

March 14, 2008, 12:23 p.m.

I think I have found all the stooges on this site all in one thread.

Can I be Moe?

March 14, 2008, 1:26 p.m.

zahgurim, it's 7.875 x 2.25 wih a steel spring. As for what I want for it, I have no idea what it would be worth. Make me an offer if you want. I'd run it on my bike, but it won't fit.

March 14, 2008, 4:21 p.m.

I don't need it, was just curious since you said you were selling.
I have all the Avys I need. :)

That size will fit a Bottlerocket. Lot's of those around, it should sell fast.
Post it up on MTBR's Transition forum?

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

March 14, 2008, 4:32 p.m.

That Avi is probably better than most stuff on the market. You definitely don't need all the bells and whistles to make a good shock.

quoted for emphasis

Loud Hubs Save Lives

March 14, 2008, 4:36 p.m.

My old old big hit had any avy shock and big link upgrade
It was the single best investment ever made.

March 14, 2008, 5 p.m.

Can I be Moe?

As long as I get to be Curly