Attention Hayes Users!

Aug. 2, 2003, 12:48 a.m.

There has been a warning for newer hayes brakes ( hfx-9 ) that dot 5.0 and 5.1 fluid is NOT recommended for use in their brakes. hayes's reason is that 5.0 and 5.1 tend to leach gas into the system and create a small pocket of gas that makes the brake fell like shit. Hayes is saying that Dot 3 or 4 will prevent this from happening and therefor recommend those fluids only.
All i know is that the Hfx-9 brakes have had nothing but problems and i dont think that the brake fluid has much to do with this. let me know what you think.

Cheers

Aug. 2, 2003, 12:52 a.m.

IVe had no problems with my hfx9 i love it. I didn't even know there was a dot 5 or 5.1.

:fruit: HARDTAIL PRIDE :fruit:

Aug. 2, 2003, 1:06 a.m.

This should be moved to the gear forum also.

:fruit: HARDTAIL PRIDE :fruit:

Aug. 2, 2003, 2:22 a.m.

Werd, I just broke a line, but that was because I was stupid…..

Aug. 2, 2003, 8:19 a.m.

I have had zero problems with my HFX-9 HD brake set.

drifting…yet again…

Aug. 2, 2003, 10:28 a.m.

I've had alot of problems as have many others on this board.

The lever retention design is, imo, completely unsuitable for a "freeride" system. I've had now four popped levers on different occasions and now need a master cylinder rebuild for which I"ve got to wait for parts (and wait, and wait……all at the peak of the biking season).

This is compared to previous designs (ie mag) which gave me bullet proof service for two seasons.

The HFX's are coming OFF my bike at the earliest opportunity.
:mad:

I'll think of something.

Aug. 2, 2003, 10:42 a.m.

i dont like hayes,heh that feel is awful

well for all you people with hayes issues get 8" Xt's
they are nice

KERR

When you use a feather - its erotic
but when you use the whole chicken - its kinkey

Aug. 2, 2003, 12:50 p.m.

what are hayes brakes????? :rolleyes:

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Aug. 2, 2003, 3:06 p.m.

Glad I still have my 02 Purples :)

However, I am thinking about selling them and getting either the Avid Juicy 7's, or maybe some Hope M4's. I havent decided yet.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

Aug. 2, 2003, 3:53 p.m.

I also disslike my Hayes, but I hear that replacement parts for Hope are expenisve and not avaliable often.

I should look into a set of Shimano XT's.

Aug. 2, 2003, 5:56 p.m.

I can't believe how much better the XT's are over Hayes. Power, modulation and reliability. Japan kicks American ass here.

I wouldn't go back for a million dollars.

:canada:

Aug. 2, 2003, 6:54 p.m.

My lever kept popping out. I was told I'd need a rebuild. Instead, I fixed it myself in about 15 minutes.

The lever pops because the retaining washer warps. Unscrew the adjustment pin so the lever flops off. Pop the retaining clip off, and the washer will come out. Replace the washer, and you'll be fine.

Originally posted by Sir Falloffalot **
I've had alot of problems as have many others on this board.

The lever retention design is, imo, completely unsuitable for a "freeride" system. I've had now four popped levers on different occasions and now need a master cylinder rebuild for which I"ve got to wait for parts (and wait, and wait……all at the peak of the biking season).

This is compared to previous designs (ie mag) which gave me bullet proof service for two seasons.

The HFX's are coming OFF my bike at the earliest opportunity.
:mad: **

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 2, 2003, 9:08 p.m.

Switch, like you (I assume) I have come to learn some of the intricacies of the HFX9 the hard way. I've purchased a snap ring tool and parts, bleed kit and parephenalia. I have to find a washer that will fit the diameters and yet not bend out so easily.

I've even jury-rigged zip ties to prevent "over-extension" of the lever (sad to have to go to that extent).

Unfortunately, my MC is pooched from all the trauma of poppings in and poppings out.

Now I have to convince my wife that the HFX's with all the zip-tie do dads all over the place are ACTUALLY the schnitz and take her 2001 Hayes……I think she's on to me though.

I'll think of something.

Aug. 2, 2003, 11:31 p.m.

get a thicker washer, and simply grind it down :)

That's what I would do if kept bleeding all the flimsy ones.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

Aug. 3, 2003, 2:57 a.m.

Originally posted by Sir Falloffalot
Now I have to convince my wife that the HFX's with all the zip-tie do dads all over the place are ACTUALLY the schnitz and take her 2001 Hayes……I think she's on to me though.

:lol:

Wives are never that gullable. :(

When mine popped, the washer was shaped like a cone instead of being flat. I flattened it with a hammer, then put it back in reversed. The snap ring tool is a good idea - I'll have to get one. Better than using a couple awls.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells