At what point does mail order make sense?

Dec. 2, 2005, 11:56 a.m.

Alright, so I'm piecing ogether parts for a new wheelset and am finding stuff way cheaper off ebay and mailorder sites. For example, I'm using CK hubs and a front hub will cost me $185 off ebay. That includes shipping, duty and tax. That same hub will cost me just over $350 from the LBS. That works out to a difference of $165!

Overall I stand to save about $250 by buying the rest of the parts for the build online.

I like to support bikeshops, but that kind of savings is a pretty big deal to me.

Should I buy the parts online and get the shop to do the lace-up, risking them being pissed and possibly cutting corners on the build OR suck it up, go with my LBS, and pay the difference?

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

Dec. 2, 2005, 11:58 a.m.

for $165 dollar diff the lbs can suck it up and be happy to get the business for building the wheel

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 2, 2005, 12:06 p.m.

Agree, unless they're having a really bad day, they should be happy to build your wheel. Any reasonable LBS will recognize that there are deals to be had online, so just tell them you got a killer deal.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 2, 2005, 12:13 p.m.

for $165 dollar diff the lbs can suck it up and be happy to get the business for building the wheel

WERD…

if your LBS isnt happy to build up the parts u supply, then find another LBS…

Dec. 2, 2005, 12:38 p.m.

I've recently modified my oppion on this kind of stuff. In the past I've always worked for some great shops, and they attempted to be competitive with online retailers. This is dififcult, but in many cases we tried to get close. I was always an advacate of buying exclusively from shops and not online.

That said I am now a college grad and unaffilated with any shop which means that I have to pay the same as everyone else. I've been shopping arround and I can find a lot of stuff for a sigificantly lower price and many of the shops I approach are VERY restant to giving deals.

So now if I am willing to wait a few days for something then I am going online. With most stuff I want shops have to order it any ways, often drag threre feet, and act ungratefull for the business. So there is often a shorter wait online.

Of course with 8 years of mechanic experence I can do all my own work.

Go online an get your stuff. If you dont know what to get, or what size then get it from your shop. Don be a tool and rub it in or anything and your should be fine.

If your shop is not happy to get your business in terms of labor then find a new shop they should be phyced to get any business.

Dec. 2, 2005, 12:44 p.m.

Remember that ebay stuff, technically has no warantee.

Also CK, when coming into Canada, goes through a distributor (Orange?) which takes their piece of the pie too.

Dec. 2, 2005, 12:51 p.m.

The thing is, bike shops don't exist in a void. They know that sometimes it is cheaper to buy online or from another LBS across the street or across town.

If you have a really good relationship with your LBS, you should be able to approach them if you find a better price. If they want your business and can still make a profit, they will try to work something out. However, asking a store to match another price can be tacky and offensive if not broached the right way. Tell them you found a better price and see what they say.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 2, 2005, 1:10 p.m.

Remember that ebay stuff, technically has no warantee.QUOTE]

Apparently as an ebay store this guy honours warranties:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chris-King-Classic-FRONT-Hub-28-hole-BLACK_W0QQitemZ7150996067QQcategoryZ36144QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

…not that it would be easy to sort out though if something did happen.

sanrensho:

My main concern in asking for a deal is offending the shop. What good is it to save a few bucks if I can't go there without there being awkwardness from now on? I go there regularly, but am by no means a "freind" of anyone at the shop. In my experience this shop is pretty firm about their prices.

~Epictetus

Dec. 2, 2005, 2:05 p.m.

My main concern in asking for a deal is offending the shop. What good is it to save a few bucks if I can't go there without there being awkwardness from now on? I go there regularly, but am by no means a "freind" of anyone at the shop. In my experience this shop is pretty firm about their prices.

I totally understand what you're saying. If you don't feel comfortable about broaching the subject, then there's no reason to risk damaging your existing relationship with the LBS.

I would start with something like "Well, I was thinking about getting this part, but somebody else has it for a bit less." No questions, no demands, no specifics. The name of the shop/online source is irrelevant at this point. The LBS's reaction should tell you everything.

If they don't seem receptive, move on to another subject! Then go home and order your parts.

Dec. 2, 2005, 2:07 p.m.

Buy where is cheapest unless you have extra money to spend IMO. besides most, not all, bike shops are primarily funded by selling of complete bikes and repairs.

Dec. 2, 2005, 2:46 p.m.

Any shop who can turn away labour business from you must be doing very well, and they don't need your business at all anyways. They make a lot of their bread and butter on labour.

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

Dec. 2, 2005, 3:11 p.m.

I've always shopped a LBS, never online.

While its great to save money, I think in the long run you aren't going to remember that you spent an extra $100 here and and extra $200 there, but your local shops will.

I'm still trying to get over a guilt feeling of buying a non-Canadian bike

Dec. 2, 2005, 3:48 p.m.

I've always shopped a LBS, never online.

While its great to save money, I think in the long run you aren't going to remember that you spent an extra $100 here and and extra $200 there, but your local shops will.

I'm still trying to get over a guilt feeling of buying a non-Canadian bike

Yeah but is it reasonable to expect that the shop cut me a deal of some sort? These wheels are gonna be pretty damn expensive - if I buy all the parts from them should I expect a discount.

In the last year alone I've spent abot $2700 at the shop.

~Epictetus

Dec. 2, 2005, 3:52 p.m.

if I buy all the parts from them should I expect a discount.

Hell, yes. But it still might not be low enough compared to your online price. Your LBS' hands are pretty much tied by their distributor's price.

Dec. 2, 2005, 3:57 p.m.

Your LBS' hands are pretty much tied by their distributor's price.

Absolutely. I was thinking a free/discounted build. Wheel builds apparently run about $35 per wheel so a discount of $70 isn't unreasonable on a wheelset worth $1300 IMHO.

~Epictetus