Assegai vs DHF and Dissector vs Aggressor???

March 7, 2021, 10:39 a.m.

How do these Dissectors hold up for you guys? I don't mean the knobs, but the carcass? 

I didn't flat my mtb tires five seasons in a row (after going to ProCore or foam inserts on the rear tire, DHR 2 WT EXO). 

Then I wanted to make my bike more "fun" and started to run the Maxxis Dissector 2.4 Exo Maxxterra tire on the rear wheel. (And my bike got more fun alright!)

But I killed three Dissectors in relatively short time. The carcass goes all wobbly, retains air though. The rim is true, but the tire REALLY wobbles to all sides. It's noticeably when riding on pavement and freaks my riding buddies out. Three Dissectors in a row. 

I really LOVE how the Dissector corners and rolls though. 

I'd buy the DOUBLEDOWN version in a heartbeat if it came in Maxxterra. But it is only available in Maxxgrip and the harder compound is wearing quick as is...

And I don't really understand in what scenario you'd run a Maxxgripp Dissector? If you need the grip you'd just go DHF or Assegai. If you want FAST you don't want super sticky rubber. But maybe I am mistaken...

I think I'll go to the 2.3 DD DHR2 next. Maybe this one holds up better? The Aggressor isn't bad, but I don't like the dual compound on wet roots or dusty chalky rocks.

I'd love your recommendations!

March 7, 2021, 6:33 p.m.

I’m running the Exo+ Terra on the back of my Druid. I did manage to pinch flat it clean through the top and bead the other day. I’ve run the DH casing a lot and really liked it, but they’re heavy.

I think the solution is the Exo+ with an insert. The DD ends up 125-150g heavier (29” cushcore adds about 250g), so Exo plus with an insert may well get the right mix of carcass stability, protection, compound and weight...

March 7, 2021, 10:41 p.m.

Thanks for the insight!

I happen to have an Exo+ Dissector in my COVID-Emergency bike part stash. I was hesitant to try it, because I don’t feel a big difference to the regular Exo. And I flatted the Exo twice WITH FCK Flats inserts, snakebite also. In very terrain on a particularly nasty rock, admittedly. 

But I’ve since changed to a Tannus insert and the wobbly tire held up so far. So maybe the new Exo+ will last. 

I’ll ride the wobbly one until it blows up and then try the new one and report back on that!

Cheers 

Znarf

March 8, 2021, 4:37 a.m.

Yeah, the spot where I did this one is a rock that looks like a brick has been planted upright in a very tight landing. It’s claimed alloy rims for me but the WAO was unscathed this time.

March 9, 2021, 8:48 a.m.

Posted by: Znarf

But I’ve since changed to a Tannus insert and the wobbly tire held up so far. So maybe the new Exo+ will last. 

I’ll ride the wobbly one until it blows up and then try the new one and report back on that!

Contact Maxxis, they'll warranty that wobbly shit. Well at least in the USA they're really good about it, not sure about Canada distribution.

March 9, 2021, 11:29 p.m.

Thanks! I'll try that!