Are MTB-specific flat pedal shoes really worth it?

Feb. 13, 2013, 12:45 a.m.

Ok, before answering this question based on your experience, please keep this in perspective:

I have run only crankbros clipped in for the past two years on all sorts of trails, and most of my training has been peak fitness oriented rather than technical skills. For the next few months, the focus will be reversed. I'm very used to being clipped in. But last week, I decided I have had it. It was the last time I'm coming home with a new collection of scars because I fell slowly sideways as I was negotiating some new trail feature never attempted before, when attacking a gnarly technical climb, or washing out because coming too hot in a turn and not being able to bail out.

So I have now gotten myself a nice set of flat pedals , and going to keep using them until I can get myself safely through the main stuff on the Shore:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/components/mtb-pedals/bennies-platform-pedals

Question is, since I'll be on the flat pedals for only another 2-3 months before going back to clipless, is it worth it to invest in a $150 MTB-specific flat pedal pair, such as the Five Tens? How big of a diff are we talking about compared to the typical Reebok or Nike training shoes?

An endless money pit this biking thing is!!!

:bandit:

Feb. 13, 2013, 1:10 a.m.

yes its worth it.

You can find deals on 5-10s, so you actually dont need to spend $150. As I type this Chainlove has some Red Barons for $50. Some shops also have some decent pricing or might have them on sale.I think departmentofgoods.com had a few different pairs on sale too

Feb. 13, 2013, 2:14 a.m.

It was the last time I'm coming home with a new collection of scars….

Be prepared for a whole load of new shin scars unless you're wearing full pads, and don't forget the back of your legs either.

That said, definitely get some 5.10's. 100% worth it even for a few months.

Feb. 13, 2013, 6:25 a.m.

buy some 5/10s and be done thats what i did no regrets i rode clipless for many many yrs and now ride flats the shoes made a big difference

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 13, 2013, 6:55 a.m.

Be prepared for a whole load of new shin scars unless you're wearing full pads, and don't forget the back of your legs either.

That said, definitely get some 5:10's. 100% worth it even for a few months.

Scars are not guaranteed, but can happen… I converted to flats a few years ago after close to 20 years on clipless pedals… the transition went smoothly. As mentioned get the correct shoes (5.10s) and good pedals right off the bat and it will help tremendously.

Feb. 13, 2013, 7:13 a.m.

Scars are not guaranteed, but can happen… I converted to flats a few years ago after close to 20 years on clipless pedals… the transition went smoothly. As mentioned get the correct shoes (5.10s) and good pedals right off the bat and it will help tremendously.

To be honest most of my scars have come from stupid stuff like flicking a pedal round when stationary and catching the back of my leg, or just grazing my shin when dabbing a foot.

Feb. 13, 2013, 7:59 a.m.

HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!
Get some 5-10 and you will feel so much more planted. I XC all day in my 5-10 and love them.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Feb. 13, 2013, 8:18 a.m.

Enjoy the flats. It will make your clipless riding more effective because you'll rely on technique to get your bike up and over obstacles rather than pulling on your cleats. Definitely wear full leg armour. A hard pedal strike to the shin will ruin your day.

Also consider your setup when you return to clipless. I hated riding clipless on the shore when I was using minuscule pedals and rigid racy shoes. When I switched to Shimano AM45 shoes and DX clipless pedals (with the plastic cage) then I learned to love them again. I ride everything with this combo on my AM bike.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 13, 2013, 8:57 a.m.

To be honest most of my scars have come from stupid stuff like flicking a pedal round when stationary and catching the back of my leg, or just grazing my shin when dabbing a foot.

Or trying to find the pedals after superman seat grabs and indian airs… that's my problem… (dreaming) :dizzy:

Feb. 13, 2013, 9:30 a.m.

Looks like it is unanimous, 5.10 shoes are worth it if you are riding flat pedals.

Feb. 13, 2013, 9:49 a.m.

Looks like it is unanimous, 5.10 shoes are worth it if you are riding flat pedals.

yup

Feb. 13, 2013, 9:52 a.m.

I've always been more of a Shimano man myself. I like the thinner sole and generally trimmer construction of the shoes. I like the 5.10 rubber but I don't like how bulky the shoes are.

That being said I like the look of the Freerider and will probably try some next.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 13, 2013, 10:14 a.m.

Yes, certainly seems that way. Let the sale price hunting begin.

:bandit:

Feb. 13, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

How big of a diff are we talking about compared to the typical Reebok or Nike training shoes?

Anything with a flat sole will be better than these!

Like everyone else I love my 5.10s and think they're well worth the money, even at full price. At the very least though some cheap skate shoes will be a noticeable improvement over what you've got. I absolutely hate ride flats in runners/trainers, it's so easy to slip off the pedals.

Feb. 13, 2013, 12:28 p.m.

Yes, certainly seems that way. Let the sale price hunting begin.

Dose your last name happen to end in a berg, stein or schmidt?

I have only met one man as adamant as you are about seeking the best price and his last name was Goldberg. :trinity:

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.