Apartment bike storage

Dec. 10, 2020, 4:25 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: J.Stubb

Pro tip... don't install the vertical hanging hook at the height for your current bikes. in two years your bike will be too long and you'll have reinstall it higher.

So true. LoL

This!

Have to re-mount mine higher, which is why I started looking into other options. Likely will just stick with what I've got and add some futureproof height to it.

Dec. 10, 2020, 4:37 p.m.

Posted by: Gordonmcn

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: J.Stubb

Pro tip... don't install the vertical hanging hook at the height for your current bikes. in two years your bike will be too long and you'll have reinstall it higher.

So true. LoL

This!

Have to re-mount mine higher, which is why I started looking into other options. Likely will just stick with what I've got and add some futureproof height to it.

Yeah, stuff like this makes buying a new bike every year just such a freakin headache.

Dec. 14, 2020, 6:32 a.m.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mossy-cog-designs-announces-the-tight-stack-bike-rack.html

Dec. 14, 2020, 8:40 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mossy-cog-designs-announces-the-tight-stack-bike-rack.html

As soon as I saw that this weekend, I couldn't help but think that the one Cheez1ts has is a way better idea. It's all about the sliders...

Dec. 14, 2020, 1:14 p.m.

I liked the sliding hook solution posted in the pinkbike chat for the Mossy Cog article, here is a link to the video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_deob4L4AEY. Hopefully it works, I haven't had much success with links...I'm thinking about doing that to my storage room

Dec. 14, 2020, 3:12 p.m.

Posted by: icullis

I liked the sliding hook solution posted in the pinkbike chat for the Mossy Cog article, here is a link to the video;

Hopefully it works, I haven't had much success with links...I'm thinking about doing that to my storage room

Cool! Should be super easy to scale that to whatever size / number is needed too.

Dec. 15, 2020, 3:21 a.m.

A dorm I lived in had a similar solution, and while it was alright, it got fiddly quick because of the tight space and overall chaos, as well as tight fit between tyres and hooks. I imagine it would work better if there were less users and a more orderly surrounding, but the core issue I had with it was that bikes became a double pendulum with a floating top pivot...

Dec. 15, 2020, 7:29 a.m.

Posted by: icullis

I liked the sliding hook solution posted in the pinkbike chat for the Mossy Cog article, here is a link to the video;

Hopefully it works, I haven't had much success with links...I'm thinking about doing that to my storage room

This is cool, but I don't like that it needs to mount to a ceiling-type surface. Great if you have a convenient large-load bearing shelf in that position already, but the one that Cheez1ts posted is better IMO because the rail mounts to a vertical surface (wall).

Dec. 15, 2020, 8:57 a.m.

I came here to mention that the Simpson bard door hardware works well for a sliding solution but it looks like someone beat me to it. 

If you don’t have a soffit to mount it to you can mount some shelf braces to the wall upside down and mount the rail to that. 

And I would pay attention to the clearance between the bottom of the hook and the rail, but there are endless hook variations out there, HD has some massive ones these days that make the ones in the vid look pretty pinner.

Dec. 28, 2020, 12:06 a.m.

Has anyone tried hanging their bike just screwed into the drywall?

I just moved and am having the issue of not having a second wood stud to mount my rail to 24" from the corner as I did in the den in my last place.

The drywall on the wall I want to use has a bunch of steel framing instead of wood studs (bottom wall in below image).

Ideally, I'll find out that there's a steel rail at the height I want to hang my bikes once I get a magnet, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience just using drywall plugs.

Dec. 28, 2020, 12:29 a.m.

While there are some heavy duty drywall anchors out there they are really designed for static loads. I would be hesitant to use only plugs due to loading and unloading the bikes. Even if the load capacity is high enough you are still basing it all off drywall which becomes brittle as soon as it’s cracked a little. 

You would be better off placing a board between two metal studs and attaching your hanger from that. At least the load will be born by the studs.

Dec. 28, 2020, 8:55 a.m.

This. Caution with the weight ratings on hollow wall anchors. The loads from hanging and swinging the bike will work almost any kind of anchor loose/out.

Dec. 28, 2020, 8:20 p.m.

I once took a 5 foot length of 1x6 and screwed it to the wall vertically with two plugs every foot or so and put a bike hanger at the top. It held without troubles for a few years. Obviously having everything connected to the 1x6 means that for one plug to come out, more than one have to go at the same time. The force of the bike hanger was borne largely by the wood and the plugs just had to help keep the board straight. I wouldn't just put two plugs in and hang a bike from it but you can attach an entire shelving system to a wall with plugs, so hanging a bike shouldn't be impossible as long as it is done as part of a system that distributes the forces.

Dec. 29, 2020, 7:09 a.m.

Yeah that should work. Probably. 

Just don’t rely on hollow wall anchors to mount the hook  and you should be alright  

Lots of holes to patch for a rental.

Dec. 29, 2020, 9:43 a.m.

Thank you everyone for the help.

I figured out where the framing was using magnets (they stick really well on the drywall studs so I also know where to avoid drilling).

• I bought two 1"x3"x4'.

• I'll drill these into the metal framing.

• I'll mount my channeled board for the bike hooks on the 1"x3"x4'.

It cost $2.50 for the wood and $2.50 for the screws, should be sturdy and easy enough to patch.

Thanks again everyone.