Anyone wear a mouth guard while riding?

March 9, 2023, 8:33 p.m.

My dentist recommended that I wear one while mountain biking because I had a root canal on a front tooth last year. He said that tooth isn’t nearly as strong now and it could snap off if I hit it on something. I do wear a convertible helmet on tougher trails but not always. I’ve also chipped my front teeth in a crash a long time ago when my fork snapped off. Didn’t hit my face then. I’ve chipped teeth just riding hard too. I think I might clamp my teeth at times. 

Mouth guards are pretty cheap at the hockey store but which one.  Anyone have any advice?

March 10, 2023, 6:19 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

My dentist recommended that I wear one while mountain biking because I had a root canal on a front tooth last year. He said that tooth isn’t nearly as strong now and it could snap off if I hit it on something. I do wear a convertible helmet on tougher trails but not always. I’ve also chipped my front teeth in a crash a long time ago when my fork snapped off. Didn’t hit my face then. I’ve chipped teeth just riding hard too. I think I might clamp my teeth at times. 

Mouth guards are pretty cheap at the hockey store but which one.  Anyone have any advice?

Dentist is a family friend and he made me one. Used to wear it when hucking back when. Reason wasn't to protect teeth though it was to help prevent concussion. Apparently 70% less likely when wearing a mouth guard.

March 10, 2023, 7:17 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Dentist is a family friend and he made me one. Used to wear it when hucking back when. Reason wasn't to protect teeth though it was to help prevent concussion. Apparently 70% less likely when wearing a mouth guard.

How is it to breathe with it on? Do you have a photo of the type of thing you used?

March 10, 2023, 5:11 p.m.

Posted by: craw

How is it to breathe with it on? Do you have a photo of the type of thing you used?

I have a night guard my dentist made. Keeps me from grinding my teeth at nigh. But it’s hard plastic. He took a mold of my teeth and sent the mold away to have the guard made. Then he adjusted it to fit really well. I ordered one from Under Armour just now. I needed ginch too so there you are. It’s a heat mouldable hockey type. It’s probably like the one I had when I played hockey as a kid. Drop in boiling water for set amount of time, drop on cold water quickly, stick in your mouth and chomp down until it’s set. I see lots of skiers who compete in freeride and moguls wear something and as said, it’s also to mitigate concussions in an accident where your teeth bash together I guess. Not sure I buy that reasoning but it can’t hurt. Doesn’t seem to impeded their breathing or hockey players for that matter.

March 10, 2023, 9:29 p.m.

Posted by: craw

/\One I had (have, someplace) sounds pretty much just like that. Only used it on the descents but didn't have trouble with breathing. Dr Ward who made it for me still has a practice just off Lonsdale at 1509 Eastern Ave. Great dentist if anyone is looking btw.

March 11, 2023, 1:01 p.m.

These SISU guards are very popular with my son's lacrosse team.  They have a handy quiz to help you choose the mouth guard that is right for you (it includes spots like BMX, Cycling, Cyclocross, Snowboarding) 

https://www.sisuguard.com/mouthguard-quiz/

My son is a chewer and his guards are trashed in just a few weeks so I buy him the cheapest ones I can find and then just heat them up and mold them to his mouth.

April 6, 2023, 5:39 a.m.

I had one custom made by the dentist. Apparently many tooth injuries in sport are caused by the mouth slamming shut violently upon impact. A chin guard doesn't necessarily protect against that.

When riding i hardly notice it, doesn't affect breathing at all. Not cheap but so is dental work. Would heartily recommend.

May 4, 2023, 3:41 p.m.

I had one made by my dentist some years ago.  They didn't have funky colours though :( It's great when I finish riding a line and stop to dry heave at the bottom as I remove my dental appliance .

May 5, 2023, 12:20 p.m.

I have a bunch of cheapies from Popeyes that came free with the giant cans of Whey protein. Or $5 ea at the counter.  Same variety of "heat and chomp" but only had bite plates for the teeth behind the Canines to the rear molars.

With no front coverage the breathability is wicked, I primarily use them for heavy squat/deadlift days so I dont crack molars on a lift. But on the bike they have been great for serious park days ala Bromont et Mont Sainte Anne luh.  (Not enough verticle at Horseshoe Valley outside Barrie ON to bother puttin the chomper in for a 1m40s lap)

May 6, 2023, 8:04 a.m.

Posted by: KDix85

I have a bunch of cheapies from Popeyes that came free with the giant cans of Whey protein. Or $5 ea at the counter.  Same variety of "heat and chomp" but only had bite plates for the teeth behind the Canines to the rear molars.

With no front coverage the breathability is wicked, I primarily use them for heavy squat/deadlift days so I dont crack molars on a lift. But on the bike they have been great for serious park days ala Bromont et Mont Sainte Anne luh.  (Not enough verticle at Horseshoe Valley outside Barrie ON to bother puttin the chomper in for a 1m40s lap)

I have one of those made by Under Armour that I bought years ago. They claimed you could lift harder and go harder with one. Only moulds to the rear bottom teeth. A slim bar joins the two halves across the front and the top is pretty hard. It does keep me from grinding while riding but I thought it was too hard for cushioning hits. I chewed through the Under Armour one in a week. So I’m now using (when I remember) a cheap heat and mould one. A package of ten cost $15. I don’t even notice it. I had a shower yesterday and I still had it in.