Anyone riding a newish Rune?

Feb. 15, 2018, 9:41 a.m.

If you're considering a Spitfire and Prime, you should also consider a Transition Scout or Smuggler, or a Norco Sight. Both are very local PNW brands and, the Transitions in particular, super fun and more than capable bikes.

Feb. 15, 2018, 10:06 a.m.

Yeah, the top bikes on my list right now are the GG Smash, Orbea Rallon, Transition Sentinal and the Sight.

Feb. 15, 2018, 10:23 a.m.

Does anyone in BC (other than sports check at the lowest end) even carry or sell Orbea?

Feb. 15, 2018, 11:42 a.m.

That GG Smash looks like a sweet ride!  I hadn't seen that before. Nice machine if you're looking for an Enduro.

Feb. 15, 2018, 3:09 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Yeah, the top bikes on my list right now are the GG Smash, Orbea Rallon, Transition Sentinal and the Sight.

The Sight seems like the odd one out here... the Range would be the most comparable.

I just got a Range C9.3 and plan on changing nearly everything. I just really wanted to try the DVO Diamond and Topaz.

Feb. 15, 2018, 5:41 p.m.

I wont derail you with other bike options... there is a lot of info on this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes/banshee-rune-v2-build-thread-821649-new-post.html

I have a Warden which I will sell soon (2015), replaced with a Canfield Balance as current go to bike, and I have a Darkside... Knollys are and ride completely different to any dual link-ish bike (dw/banshee/canfield/VPP, Yetis).... 

I have had an obsession with a Rune for so long, but I settled for another bike during my last bike change. All issues you mentioned are solved and you can get 31-32 lb no prob, but dont get that hung up on 2-3 lbs of weight. Wheels/tires and pedal position/efficiency are way more important than 2-3lbs, believe me, I've been there...

cheers

Feb. 15, 2018, 6:50 p.m.

Wooohhooooo, I have been Endorphined!

Ended up with a barely used bike - it made sense to me. Found a basically brand new 2018 Knolly Endorphin frame and CC Inline shock (with climb switch) with really good shape NEXT SL and Race Face stuff all over it, brand new Guide RS brakes....Nearly new Fox Factory 36 kashima talas.....only downside I can see on the bike is the LEV dropper which will probably crap out in a few rides and GX drivetrain - which might end up being just fine, but if I ride this as much as I suspect Ill switch it to XO or whatever.

It will probably be a really good addition beside the E29 with the two of them being the goto bikes, probably 50/50 between the two. Itll have to be a pretty big trail to pedal the E29 up to over the Endorphin (my guess)....but we will see how it all works out.

I cant wait to let this puppy rip (next week unfortunately).

Thanks all

Knolly

Last edited by: Ddean on Feb. 15, 2018, 8:40 p.m., edited 7 times in total.
Feb. 15, 2018, 10:06 p.m.

Posted by: luisgutierod

I wont derail you with other bike options... there is a lot of info on this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes/banshee-rune-v2-build-thread-821649-new-post.html

I have a Warden which I will sell soon (2015), replaced with a Canfield Balance as current go to bike, and I have a Darkside... Knollys are and ride completely different to any dual link-ish bike (dw/banshee/canfield/VPP, Yetis)....

I have had an obsession with a Rune for so long, but I settled for another bike during my last bike change. All issues you mentioned are solved and you can get 31-32 lb no prob, but dont get that hung up on 2-3 lbs of weight. Wheels/tires and pedal position/efficiency are way more important than 2-3lbs, believe me, I've been there...

cheers

Thanks - I’m looking forward to seeing how this Knolly works as I’ve been almost exclusively on SWorks bikes for a long time - Epic and E29. I don’t count the legend because it’s not what I want to be on if I have to pedal.

Maybe it’ll feel bizarre. Maybe I’ll like it, maybe not but I’m excited to give something different a go. And different it will be - I don’t think I’ve been on a similar linkage bike since early 90s GT LTS!!!

Edit: I pulled up photos of them LTS and it’s nothing like it!!!! Memory is failing I guess. Too many cracked helmets

Last edited by: Ddean on Feb. 15, 2018, 10:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 16, 2018, 11:04 a.m.

Congrats! She's a beaut!!

Not that we would notice...but those crank arm boots need to pulled off and thrown far away. 

• White Fox decals? 👑👑👑👑👑
Feb. 16, 2018, 1:21 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Posted by: luisgutierod

cheers

Thanks - I’m looking forward to seeing how this Knolly works as I’ve been almost exclusively on SWorks bikes for a long time - Epic and E29. I don’t count the legend because it’s not what I want to be on if I have to pedal.

Maybe it’ll feel bizarre. Maybe I’ll like it, maybe not but I’m excited to give something different a go. And different it will be - I don’t think I’ve been on a similar linkage bike since early 90s GT LTS!!!

Edit: I pulled up photos of them LTS and it’s nothing like it!!!! Memory is failing I guess. Too many cracked helmets

Its still a 4-bar suspension system, so it wont be that unfamiliar to you.  The Endo has lower anti-squat values than the Specialized bikes, so it will likely be more active under pedalling.  You will likely want the CS on the fireroads, but probably wont need it anywhere else.  Enjoy!  New bikes are awesome....

Feb. 16, 2018, 3:27 p.m.

Im a little late to the party but I’ll chime in with my Rune feedback in case someone else has the same question as you and finds their way to this thread.

I’m 6’2 185lbs geared up and started on a 2015 L rune with 26” wheels.  I came off an SB66 which I broke (2nd time) and opted for something slightly burlier (and the most compatible with my existing build).  Rode the bike for about a full season before swapping to a 27.5 build.  Man did that bike get faster, but that’s to be expected.

When the 2017 frames came out I bought an XL Rune, which as someone else already pointed out, is the downhillers trail bike.  64.5deg HT and the thing absolutely rips.  Its closer to a plow than a playful bike but it can be finessed down a trail if you know what you’re doing.  Mines built with a Pike, pro4/flows, xt drivetrain, and maxxis DD DHF’s so she’s not the lightest (33ish) but it’s worth it in my opinion.

Feb. 17, 2018, 11:35 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Does anyone in BC (other than sports check at the lowest end) even carry or sell Orbea?

How is your E29 working out for you? Discuss!!!

Feb. 17, 2018, 11:50 a.m.

Why the dislike for the lev? I've had mine since 2014 and it's been flawless other than a couple of cable changes.

Feb. 17, 2018, 12:08 p.m.

Ive heard that they are not reliable - hopefully it works as it should for a long time (as yours has). The Command Post IR on my E29 has not been reliable. RIght from day one it leaked...and I kept bringing it in to the LBS under warranty and it was always "theres nothing wrong with it". Until a week after warranty expired and they said - yeah - needs a rebuild! Its been great since.

March 22, 2018, 3 p.m.

About one month update:

I'm LOVING this Endorphin. Its just what I wanted. Depending upon where Im headed, its my goto bike now. If I want to pedal up BLT and do a quick Upper Tall Cans lap after work or something similar, its definitely the bike that I'm choosing. Ive had it on Seymour too on Pangor and Boogie Nights; less fond of it on those compared to my E29. That said, timing pressures made me pedal up Old Buck and had I have taken my usual route up GSM and PL, then I would have been loving it on the uphill more than my E29, so likely even overall if you consider the trail up too. Bikes are tools and this one is perfect on techy fun trails that are not overly rough or park like. Don't get me wrong its probably fine (or even good) on those but the E29 is the better tool when it gets hairy, rough and steep, or fast and bermy with some air.

The Endorphin is just so fun. With the shocks set up right this thing rails. It jumps well and remains balanced and if I need a quick redirection, quick jab of the rear brake and its headed where I need. It does not plow though the insanity like my E29 does but that is what makes it a more fun trail bike. And it climbs the techy stuff brilliantly.

I think that Ill be grabbing it whenever I head to Fromme. Cypress will depend upon what I'm riding: UTC will be Endorphin but Roaches and Dirty Harry and others, still the E29, rest will be on the Legend. Seymour probably a mix of E29 and Endorphin depending upon whom I'm riding with.

What an awesome machine. I'm so happy I have it. Another plus: its awesome having a backup to my E29 that isn't trying to kill me like my Epic does - my E29 is currently out of commission with a destroyed rear derailleur from something getting caught in it on Half Nelson the other day. 

Surprise: GX shifting works well! I don't feel the need to swap it out for anything diff. Only downside so far is that the damn chain doesn't stay on. I need to figure that out. Ive put more tension in it and Ill try some more, but if that doesn't work Ill have to get a chain guide.