Anyone riding a newish Rune?

Feb. 11, 2018, 7:54 p.m.

New bike itch is getting worse and worse. I have a 2014 SWorks E29 that is still outstanding and that I love and a Mk3 Banshee Legend that I use in the Park and the nasty Cypress stuff. 

I’m really digging Banshee as a Company and I’m attracted to the Born on the Shore thing. My Legend is good and I wouldn’t mind another local bike that’s a bit smaller trail bike than the E29, which I view as a really big trail bike. 

I’ve searched and all the Banshee Rune info seems to be pre 2014 with most of it being pre 2011. 

Is the Rune a smokin’ bike? How close in “biggness” is it to an E29? Bushing/bearing issues solved? Can they be 29/30lbs with a reasonable build? 

The itch is there- wondering how a Rune would fit in.

Feb. 12, 2018, 5:47 a.m.

I have a spitfire (last year of the V2), and someone on here has a Prime (which might be closer to a E29).

My Spitfire is not the lightest, but its not a pig, dropper, aluminum rims, EXO tires and a pike with zero carbon anywhere its about 32 lbs for a large...

all the cliched things about "downhiller's trail bike" etc are pretty accurate, I can't complain. its a great bike. There are times when I have wished I had a little more travel for bigger stuff or really chundery stuff, but the pike honestly runs out of Burl long before the frame does.

Feb. 12, 2018, 8:08 a.m.

What about a Knolly Endorphin? it's a bike that came up in my search and seems to fit what you're looking for.

Feb. 12, 2018, 8:22 a.m.

Yeah, Knolly's hit my points too and I now think that the Spitfire is a better fit than the Rune. I'm circling in on both those bikes right now 

I think the Spitfire will work well on the shore but overlap less with my E29 than a Rune would.

Feb. 12, 2018, 8:27 a.m.

Dean Wilkes , and Ryan Dono both have Runes , not sure what years but I know they are 27.5 versions.

Feb. 13, 2018, 1:24 p.m.

I had the 2008 Rune v.1 with the bushing. I had the 2014 Rune v.2 with bearings.

The 2018 Rune has slightly updated geometry when compared to my 2014. My build on it was 29.8lbs (small frame), with proper wheels and tires and smart build. Its a solid bike that could easily spend all day in the bike park and can be pedaled (with a little effort) up to the top of the mountain.

Ryando might chime in as well on his Rune.

bike

Last edited by: Dean-W on Feb. 13, 2018, 1:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 13, 2018, 1:29 p.m.

I had the previous Rune (with the Bushings) and now have a Prime (not the newest version though) and the Prime does everything better...but I could just think that because it fits me better than the Rune did...god I love the big wheels. If the new Rune pedals anything like the Prime...it will be a winner...just a great feeling bike.

Feb. 13, 2018, 2:03 p.m.

Rune and Prime both look great, but if I'm looking for more of a trail bike (because I will keep my E29), I'm now thinking that a Spitfire is the better choice than the Rune.

I think Im narrowing it down to Spitfire and Endorphin. Probably either would be awesome to add!

I bet either would be super fun and very usable for me for pretty much all of Fromme, Seymour and half of Cypress (not shuttling, Antagonizer, Wutang, Slippery, SGS, Upper Tall Cans, maybe Roaches and Dirty Harry but maybe the E29 better for those two).

Thanks all for the guidance so far.

EDIT: Putting Prime on the list too. I love the big wheels too and otherwise it looks a lot like a trail bike.

Last edited by: Ddean on Feb. 13, 2018, 2:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 13, 2018, 8:54 p.m.

I've got a 2013  Prime with a Pike @ 150mm, Fox Transfer post, SixC bars and cranks, CK hubs w Spank rims with 2.35 Minions EXO's. Weighs in at 32.5lbs. I ride it everywhere you describe and it's been a fantastic bike. I've rebuilt the rear end once, last year. I haven't found anything yet that's significantly better. I pedals well, descends like a champ plus I have three sets of wheels to change it's personality depending where I'm riding. One set of 29"  lighter XCish wheels w light fast tires, a set of hd wheels as described above and a set of 27.5+ wheels just for shits and giggles.

Feb. 14, 2018, 8:20 a.m.

I'm on a 2017 Prime and my girlfriend was on a 2017 Rune (selling it). I'm a pretty big fan of the low maintenance bikes so the weight doesn't bother me. Both our builds are 33lbs with heavy tires, Pikes, etc. We both raced a bunch on them.

Feb. 14, 2018, 4:50 p.m.

Friend of mine seems to love his 2014 Spitfire with a Fox 36 and CCDB Air shock, he definitely shreds on it and the geometry seems up to date with most 2018 bikes I've looked at. It is not light though (Flow rims on XT hubs, XT drivetrain/brakes I believe).

Feb. 14, 2018, 5:35 p.m.

Trouble I had with my Rune (2011) was pedal kick back. Along with the reach being a bit short, it was the reason I sold it.

Maybe these are problems of the long ago past.

I don't know how people buying new bikes manage to not buy a Process. Everytime I see that bike in a shop I get caught in it's tractor beam.

Feb. 14, 2018, 7:48 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Trouble I had with my Rune (2011) was pedal kick back. Along with the reach being a bit short, it was the reason I sold it.

Maybe these are problems of the long ago past.

I don't know how people buying new bikes manage to not buy a Process. Everytime I see that bike in a shop I get caught in it's tractor beam.

Yeah the 29" model is so nice.

Feb. 15, 2018, 9:01 a.m.

I've had no issues with the bearings on my v2 Rune and minimal pedal kick back. 

It's a great bike but I think there would be too much overlap if you already ride an Enduro. 

If you are looking for a smaller bike and are interested in Banshee have a look at the Phantom.

Feb. 15, 2018, 9:31 a.m.

Yeah, no issues at all with my Prime...it's not the lightest bike out there but I am a bigger boy who has broken every full suspension frame I have ridden...been on the Prime for 4 years with not one issue (not even a bearing change!). When the Prime came out it was aimed at Rune riders who wanted a 29er....and it's one of the best pedalling/climbing bikes I have ridden.

I test rode the RM Instinct BC and a few other bikes last year...none were better than the Prime...so I am happy to keep riding it for now.