Anyone Ride Fat Bikes?

Dec. 3, 2015, 1:08 p.m.

yo TW do you already have your hipster beard and man bun in full effect? if so proceed to next stage of fat bike purchase…

none of the above for this guy believe it or not, I started shaving and cutting my hair on a semi regular basis again (well, getting a professional jobbie instead of cutting it off with some dull scissors after a 6 pack) a few years ago.

I actually skipped the fat bike purchase this year after all my humming and hawing on waht I wanted to buy; maybe it turned out for the better because I've since decided I'd like to move back somewhere with real year-round MTB'ing (digging in real dirt on the SSC a few weeks ago was sure nice..), found out I'd be working away from home for a good part of this winter and decided I'd like a nice new shiny MTB for 2016 and a fatbike would just cut into the budget more than I'd like.

If it keeps raining for another few hours most of the low-elevation trails are gonna be good to go on a MTB again anyways…

Dec. 3, 2015, 1:46 p.m.

ok ok, sounds not bad. i was worried the next thing you were going to say was dude try my new IPA…

Dec. 3, 2015, 11:22 p.m.

Aside from the mechanical disks which I eschew (just my personal preference) that looks like a pretty solid bike and good price.

Agree on the brakes. I have a set of codes sitting on the shelf that would be fine. Just can't quite pull the trigger. Maybe because we currently have no snow. But I'm sure that will change soon enough.

Dec. 9, 2015, 5:01 p.m.

Is this a new Chromag fatbike or just a different Nice Dreams? I'd heard that they were going to do an overseas frame run.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Dec. 9, 2015, 5:43 p.m.

Is this a new Chromag fatbike or just a different Nice Dreams?

looks like a nice dreams. except there's no name, and maybe it doesn't have the machined chainstay yolk (hard to tell because it's black)? also it's running jumbo jim's which do come in 4.8" (though they also come in 4") which would be too big for a nice dreams…

I'd heard that they were going to do an overseas frame run.

well, there you go. maybe

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 14, 2015, 7:03 p.m.

if anyone's on the fence about buying a fatbike, it's looking like a pretty good time to take the plunge

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 14, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

speaking of fat
Ibis just released one

Dec. 14, 2015, 9:36 p.m.

we just did a friday ride up the callaghan valley on groomed xc ski trails on fat bikes and it was surprisingly kind of fun. as long as you're on firm snow they rode great. the are a chore to climb, but they get up just about anything if you've got the horsepower. the climb to journeyman cabin was surprisingly painless, and the rip down was very amusing.

the surly bud/lou combo was vastly superior over the various other combos in the group. no reason to go under 5". some of the 3-4" tires were breaking through the snow and bogging down.

fat bikes have a very narrow spectrum of functionality, imho. this is the first ride i enjoyed them on. i don't understand their appeal on dirt, nor in fresh snow (where they are very nearly useless, especially compared to skis, etc).

So true, finally got a chance to try a fat bike(rental) out on snow in the whistler area. Pretty fun but setup time needs to be spent on tire pressure and width depending on rider weight and snow conditions. Too much time IMO. It's not something you can jump on and try without proper setup. Would be worth it if you lived in an area that allowed snow riding for a good chunk of the year. Snow conditions and trails will make or break your ride on these things. Hardpack with some snow on top seems to be the consensus ideal conditions.

Would be 6th or 7th on the depth chart after my trail bike, midfat hardtail, DH bike, road bike, cx bike, etc. the list goes on. Happy I tried it though.

Shed head!

Dec. 15, 2015, 6:10 a.m.

speaking of fat
Ibis just released one

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/trans-fat/

some cool ideas there… too bad their geometries are stuck in the aught's

Dec. 15, 2015, 7:26 a.m.

if anyone's on the fence about buying a fatbike, it's looking like a pretty good time to take the plunge

"Due to a surplus in stock, several of this year’s Surly Omniterras are receiving 45-50% price cuts from today, making for some remarkably affordable bikes."

Oops… The sudden realization that not everyone on the planet is going to buy a fat bike despite all the marketing.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 15, 2015, 8:37 a.m.

I'd say Surley's time in the sun is done. With major brands turning out bikes that weigh less than Columbia Surley had to drop its price.

Dec. 15, 2015, 10:34 a.m.

Being in Kamloops…there's definitely a use for these things. Kinda thinkin' on it…
Those bikes CraigH posted are half price too
http://www.the-house.com/fat-bikes.html

Dec. 15, 2015, 11:44 a.m.

Being in Kamloops…there's definitely a use for these things. Kinda thinkin' on it…

Same. I'm in a part of the world with 8 months of winter, if I'm going to ride, a fat bike is one of the only ways to do it. Hoping to get some info on what direction to take in the next few days. If I get anything it won't be here in time for Christmas, but hopefully shortly after.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Dec. 15, 2015, 1:28 p.m.

Been enjoying our Framed Minnesota 3.0 for the last year.

Only had them in snow once this winter so far, but that should change over the holidays.

They are a blast to ride on the beach too.

We also used them for bike packing a few times over the spring [HTML_REMOVED] summer.

Dec. 15, 2015, 1:43 p.m.

Get a bike that fits and just because it's a fatbike doesn't mean it has to weigh a tonne. Nor, does it mean that suspension isn't needed. A fork will cut down the "bouncing basketball" feel, while still letting you run up to 5.0 tires.

Keep in mind that just because it's a fatbike doesn't mean shitty parts are suddenly great. Cheap cable disc brakes and unbranded shifters work and feel just as crappy on fat tires as they do on your trail bike.

For tires, 4.0 vs. 5.0 doesn't seem to make much difference. I've over 200lbs and on 4.0 it isn't like I'm sinking compared to someone on a 5.0. Just like a regular bike the steering feel is different with a wider tire, but not so huge you won't get used to it in no time.