Anyone Ride Fat Bikes?

March 4, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

I got the frame, fork, wheels, headset, cranks and chainring from Chromag and sourced the rest myself or had it lying around from previous builds. Chromag's prices on wheels and the fork were better than anywhere else I could find.

Yeah they were awesome when I got my Surface. Is there no XL? Just an M/L?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 4, 2015, 9:43 p.m.

I think they had M/L and L left when I ordered, but this first run was pretty small. Sizing is basically the same as the Surface - M/L is 18.5" seat tube and 23.5" top.

I got them to add ISCG tabs and stealth routing as originally it had neither.

March 13, 2015, 1:39 p.m.

Even Canadian Tire is now selling a fat bike:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/schwinn-biggity-dlx-mens-26-hardtail-mountain-bike-0711653p.html#.VQNK2PnF_A0

March 13, 2015, 3:39 p.m.

Even Canadian Tire is now selling a fat bike:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/schwinn-biggity-dlx-mens-26-hardtail-mountain-bike-0711653p.html#.VQNK2PnF_A0

I saw one the other day. Brings a whole new meaning to P.O.S.

March 13, 2015, 3:42 p.m.

I saw one the other day. Brings a whole new meaning to P.O.S.

I'm wondering how they created this alloy?

"The aluminum steel frame…"

April 24, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

So anyone else pick up a fat bike over the winter? I'm looking at picking one up soon, and I'm down to the Ice Cream Truck and Nice Dreams, although both have issues that concern me. Any long term thoughts? Did you ride your fat bikes much over the winter? Would you keep them for other seasons? 4" tires vs 5" tires?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

April 24, 2015, 3:07 p.m.

So anyone else pick up a fat bike over the winter? I'm looking at picking one up soon, and I'm down to the Ice Cream Truck and Nice Dreams, although both have issues that concern me. Any long term thoughts? Did you ride your fat bikes much over the winter? Would you keep them for other seasons? 4" tires vs 5" tires?

i've never ridden a fat bike on snow. but i would absolutely ride one all year long on the shore. 4" tires, steel frame and front suspension = lots of fun

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 24, 2015, 3:11 p.m.

Started typing then Boom stole the words out of my hands!

i've never ridden a fat bike on snow. but i would absolutely ride one all year long on the shore. 4" tires, steel frame and front suspension = lots of fun

I've got a Nice Dreams and it's easily the most fun hardtail I've ridden. I'll be switching between it and my fully all year round.

April 24, 2015, 3:20 p.m.

Started typing then Boom stole the words out of my hands!

I've got a Nice Dreams and it's easily the most fun hardtail I've ridden. I'll be switching between it and my fully all year round.

Any time on the snow with it? I'll be north of Edmonton and want something I can ride in the winter, but 4" tires seem a little thin for a big guy like me. Granted if it's hard packed it might be perfect.

April 24, 2015, 3:25 p.m.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Yup, my wife and I bought them in Dec.

She wrote about our experience this winter here:
http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2015/02/when-life-hands-you-pineapples-make-pina-coladas.html

As for 4" vs 5" tires, here is why we went with a frame than can take 5" tires (and tapered head tube so you can install a Bluto):
http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2014/02/indulging-in-fat.html

(I was going to a link to pics of the bikes from our first ride but the links are broken for some reason, will have to fix that.)

April 24, 2015, 3:33 p.m.

Any time on the snow with it? I'll be north of Edmonton and want something I can ride in the winter, but 4" tires seem a little thin for a big guy like me. Granted if it's hard packed it might be perfect.

ict seems a lot more versatile than the chromag. you can run bigger tires for more float in the winter (i've heard the bike handles better for trail riding with 4" tires), and it's got braze on's for anything else you'd want to stick on it for back country touring or longer rides

geometry between the two bikes is pretty similar, but the chromag will be a fair bit lighter. worth noting that, more or less, 26" fat = 27.5+ = 29" tires, making either bike a hella versatile platform if that's of interest.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 24, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

I should mention that I bought 4" tires to use this summer.

We've used them for a 3 day bike packing trip.

I've also bought another set of 4" tires with a smaller tread pattern that will be used for sand riding.

April 24, 2015, 4:03 p.m.

Chromag is hard to say no to. Just need to figure out if I can live with a 4" tire in the back vs the 4.8" on the ICT.

April 27, 2015, 8:43 a.m.

Chromag is hard to say no to. Just need to figure out if I can live with a 4" tire in the back vs the 4.8" on the ICT.

I'm away for work at the moment so can't get a better photo, but depending on the rim width, I'd think you could fit a larger tire than the 4" on the Nice Dreams. Thats a 4" Van Helga on a Marge Lite rim.

April 27, 2015, 11:26 a.m.

I'm away for work at the moment so can't get a better photo, but depending on the rim width, I'd think you could fit a larger tire than the 4" on the Nice Dreams. Thats a 4" Van Helga on a Marge Lite rim.

Chromag won't be doing an XL run until the fall so I've got some time before I finalize my decision (plus I want to know the geo before I commit as well). If you wouldn't mind taking a closer look when you get home, I'd appreciate it.