Anyone Ride Fat Bikes?

Jan. 15, 2015, 7:24 p.m.

I also don't really see the appeal of cyclocross bikes either

Okay, now I have a write-up for you: http://www.pinkbike.com/u/mmoon/blog/my-regina-saskatchewan-experience.html
Cyclocross is the first bit, fatbikes is the end bit.
It takes ~ 20 minutes to actually read the whole thing. The fatbike section is the shortest section.

Jan. 15, 2015, 7:45 p.m.

Okay, now I have a write-up for you: http://www.pinkbike.com/u/mmoon/blog/my-regina-saskatchewan-experience.html
Cyclocross is the first bit, fatbikes is the end bit.
It takes ~ 20 minutes to actually read the whole thing. The fatbike section is the shortest section.

tl;dr

Just kidding. Good article.

Jan. 20, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

I have to eat my words a little. I just did a short loop on an Xprezo GrosBig and it was pretty damn good. Conditions weren't very good but I still managed to ride everything. It helped having a Bluto up front. The bike's angles felt more like my own bike, so it didn't seem so foreign. Plus, it was light! That was nice, I could actually get some speed out of it. Its still not my bike of choice, but if it means getting out most of the winter then so be it.

Jan. 20, 2015, 4:09 p.m.

I have to eat my words a little. I just did a short loop on an Xprezo GrosBig and it was pretty damn good. Conditions weren't very good but I still managed to ride everything. It helped having a Bluto up front. The bike's angles felt more like my own bike, so it didn't seem so foreign. Plus, it was light! That was nice, I could actually get some speed out of it. Its still not my bike of choice, but if it means getting out most of the winter then so be it.

Right on…

Jan. 26, 2015, 11:33 a.m.

Ride a fat bike, take it to Switzerland and you'll make the CBC news.

Fatbike fever draws Thunder Bay's Matt Lapointe to Swiss Alps

Matt Lapointe, from Thunder Bay, Ont., was one of only two Canadians to race in the Snow Epic fatbike competition, which took place in Engelberg, Switzerland in mid-January.

Fatbikes are bicycles featuring thick oversized tires, allowing them to tackle all sorts of terrain, including soft unstable surfaces such as sand, and snow.

"It was pretty amazing," Lapointe said of the Snow Epic competition where riders raced over icy mountainous terrain.

Lapointe said he exceeded his personal goal by placing 30th among 122 competitors.

A long-time cycling enthusiast, Lapointe said he discovered fatbikes about three years ago at a local shop. He took one for a spin, and was hooked.

"It's just fun, that's the only way I can put it. You jump on it, it looks kind of goofy underneath you with these huge, soft tires, but you start riding and the bike is just so much fun to ride," he said, noting that with so much traction, he can ride up steep hills, and even stairs.

"I've got multiple other bikes, and this is still the one I take out all the time. I ride it in the summer, I ride it in the winter, and any time I can. I even ride it to work."

Lapointe said fatbikes are starting to catch on with Thunder Bay riders.

"It's huge in the Minneapolis area and by extension it's getting bigger and bigger here," he said.

Jan. 27, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

All solid points.

A couple of weeks ago I did this ride in about 10cms of snow:

Some of it was packed, some not. I made all the climbs and the descents were a blast. On the hardest packed section I was close to my PB. Sure, the bike was sliding and slipping but it was fast, and fast is fun. I bumped into a buddy of mine who was on his fat bike, and he wasn't having that much fun (his words not mine).

That said, there are sections where a fat bike will be better than any skinny tire bike, no doubt.

Fat bikes on dirt. I remember trying 2.8" tires on my downhill bike years ago and hating it. Too wide. It was catching on all the side roots and rocks and it was throwing me off my lines and washing out when the dirt got soft. I went back and put on 2.2" dh tires and instantly I was getting all my lines, had way more grip, and cornering was precise.

Even now I will switch to a 2.25" Ardent from a 2.4" if I want a fast rolling yet more biting tire for more grip in flat hard packed corners. The smaller tire just offers a slight performance advantage in those situations. I can even feel the difference in rolling weight/resistance between the two sizes. Riding a full down hill tread here in Kamloops can be a bit more of a chore compared to an Ardent because of the extra effort in resistance. I'll put the Ardent on if I want to ride hard packed XC type trails.

To be honest, I can't see how I would enjoy riding a fat bike on dirt if I find anything over 2.4" too wide and "floaty". I'm the type of nerd that will use oil in my hub bearings instead of grease!

I also don't really see the appeal of cyclocross bikes either unless strictly for racing. Slow on the street, awkward in dirt, weird geometry… but I digress.

However, I could see if you are riding gnarly rock faces where speed is really slow and grip is paramount, then a fat bike would be awesome.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 27, 2015, 3:04 p.m.

for those of you whom avoid the facebookz and probably didn't see my funny that Cam posted…

Feb. 13, 2015, 9:52 p.m.

https://vimeo.com/119179760

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 20, 2015, 9:56 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefBYPSmxZg

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 24, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

InaCycle's most recent blog post on The Mountain Bike Life:

WHEN LIFE HANDS YOU PINEAPPLES, MAKE PINA COLADAS
http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2015/02/when-life-hands-you-pineapples-make-pina-coladas.html

March 4, 2015, 8:22 p.m.

Just finished building up a new toy. Only done a quick lap on her so far, but really happy with it. Just a fun, flickable hardtail feel, but with endless grip. Way more fun than the Aperture I had before, and it feels like it's covering the ground just as quick, both up and down.

March 4, 2015, 8:35 p.m.

gweb, is that spec from Chromag or did you just get the frame and build it up yourself? I'm strongly considering one this summer/fall but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go the complete route from Chromag (tires/wheels/fork/frame only if possible).

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 4, 2015, 8:36 p.m.

Just finished building up a new toy.

damn. is that a nice dreams? looks sick!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 4, 2015, 8:38 p.m.

gweb, is that spec from Chromag or did you just get the frame and build it up yourself? I'm strongly considering one this summer/fall but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go the complete route from Chromag (tires/wheels/fork/frame only if possible).

I got the frame, fork, wheels, headset, cranks and chainring from Chromag and sourced the rest myself or had it lying around from previous builds. Chromag's prices on wheels and the fork were better than anywhere else I could find.

March 4, 2015, 8:40 p.m.

damn. is that a nice dreams? looks sick!

Yup, Nice Dreams M/L in 'Park Tools' blue :P