Anyone Ride Fat Bikes?

Feb. 8, 2013, 8:02 a.m.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/02/08/road-to-nahbs-2013-boo-bicycles/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 8, 2013, 9:02 a.m.

We were the first shop in the Lower Mainland to bring them in. Although there are a few running around that even do daily driver duty, most of the fatbikes we sell end up heading north or south. Look for the performance fatbike category to blow up next, with a few carbon alternatives to the Salsa Beargrease becoming available.

I hope that the Surly Krampus 29+ format blows up as well, although demand is far exceeding production at this point. Our rep dropped a pre-production sample off for us to play with last fall, and in terms of sheer grin-factor, it was easily the most fun cross-country bike I've ever ridden. Very poppy and playful when the speeds came up, just like a big BMX with gears, and all the floatation you need to take the sting out of any mistakes on the trail. It's a perfect second playbike for anyone who already has a dedicated MTB, and getting some more manufacturers on board with tire development can only make it even better. No completes are coming in to Canada, but we should be seeing the frame/fork/rim/tire modules in the shop within the next couple of weeks.

Side note: the Krampus and Moonlander have the nicest paint jobs in the entire industry. Real talk.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Feb. 8, 2013, 9:18 a.m.

most of the fatbikes we sell end up heading north or south.

the custom rohloff-equipped "so's i can walk my dog on the beach" bike lyle built being a notable exception

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 8, 2013, 9:55 a.m.

Pink Bike Fail

Top quality Pike bike publishing.

I think you missed the point, Mitchell is a smart dude….he's just saying, why bike when you can shred pow on skis? but fatty aficionados like to be offended by it.

Feb. 8, 2013, 10:22 a.m.

why bike when you can shred pow on skis?

Only reason I am considering one for next winter is Ontario's serious lacking of what you speak of.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 8, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

I think you missed the point, Mitchell is a smart dude….he's just saying, why bike when you can shred pow on skis? but fatty aficionados like to be offended by it.

I get his point, but why ski only when you can do both? Best of both worlds… just got word that one of our DH trails might be rideable in the next few weeks… freaking awesome..

Feb. 8, 2013, 1:14 p.m.

I get his point, but why ski only when you can do both? Best of both worlds… just got word that one of our DH trails might be rideable in the next few weeks… freaking awesome..

I think that is the better way to think about fat bikes. People that make ski bikes on the other hand, well I think that is retarded. Ski bikes will never be as good as skis or even a snowboard on actual runs.

The only thing keeping me from jumping all over a fat bike is that I already ski alpine, tour and nordic ski so I don't see me really using one a lot. Plus it sounds like you need "prepared" surfaces to ride one. Like a snowmobile or otherwise compacted trail. That means logging roads and a few snowshoe trails in Whistler.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 8, 2013, 5:33 p.m.

I think that is the better way to think about fat bikes. People that make ski bikes on the other hand, well I think that is retarded. Ski bikes will never be as good as skis or even a snowboard on actual runs.

The only thing keeping me from jumping all over a fat bike is that I already ski alpine, tour and nordic ski so I don't see me really using one a lot. Plus it sounds like you need "prepared" surfaces to ride one. Like a snowmobile or otherwise compacted trail. That means logging roads and a few snowshoe trails in Whistler.

Yep, fat bikes are limited in their capabilities, but still a ton of fun if you "have" to ride all year long.. which I do…

Feb. 8, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

no 'fart , remember you said you were going to buy one , and i'd get to ride it ?

:lol:

Feb. 8, 2013, 9:54 p.m.

One of the local guys here wrote a post about whether or not he thinks fatbikes can be your only bike a while back and just updated it…some good info in there…

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/can-a-fat-bike-be-your-only-mountain-bike/

Feb. 11, 2013, 10:42 a.m.

Side note: the Krampus and Moonlander have the nicest paint jobs in the entire industry. Real talk.

word.

I want a krampus…perhaps next year. Am trying to reduce bicycle intake this year, though.:lol: And perhaps availability will be better

One of the local guys here wrote a post about whether or not he thinks fatbikes can be your only bike a while back and just updated it…some good info in there…

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/can-a-fat-bike-be-your-only-mountain-bike/

I encountered someone in the Regina who said his pugsley was his only bike. A madman, to be sure.

Bud/Lou make Moonlander as useful as a tractor on smooth surfaces. So slow. But there are better fat options for pavement

Feb. 11, 2013, 11:13 a.m.

I dunno….it'd be a really boring world if everyone just made / bought every product based on pure efficiency. We'd all be riding carbon 29ers :yawnlol:

I have some degree of respect for people who design / build stuff purely for the challenge or stupidity of it.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 11, 2013, 11:59 a.m.

Great ride this morning on the fatty… half frozen fire road and then half clear, beautiful singletrack through the forest. Awesome.

Feb. 11, 2013, 12:09 p.m.

Yeah too many pursuits, too little time! :lol: If I won the lottery I'd have one for shits 'n giggles though.

I were in Minn. last week skiing on a golf course/frozen creek and there was a fat bike track wandering all over the place in the untracked.
There was approx. 5-10cm of fresh over variable crusty old so sure, not knee deep pow but not exactly compacted either.

Are there tubeless on carbon wheel sets w/ceramic bearings for fat bikes yet?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 11, 2013, 12:10 p.m.

Great ride this morning on the fatty… half frozen fire road and then half clear, beautiful singletrack through the forest. Awesome.

which trail is almost clear? Last time I was out by Syringa 3 weeks ago I was amazed at how little snow there was. Dying to ride my bike!

The lower trails at Kokanee Creek are almost good to go, probably another week of warmish weather and some rain will do it.